Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Big issue with iPhone.........
    It cannot be set up to auto answer, nor can you set it up for voice command. This makes my hands free bluetooth car kit virtually useless as I now have to take my hand off the steering wheel to answer a call . A big no no in Victoria .
    To grow old is inevitable.... To grow up is optional

Confidence, the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.

What could possibly go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy John View Post
    as I now have to take my hand off the steering wheel to answer a call . A big no no in Victoria .
    If the phone is in a cradle, you're allowed to answer or make calls whilst driving, according to the rules
    Cheers

DJ

ADMIN

It cannot be set up to auto answer, nor can you set it up for voice command.
    Never had a use for auto answer but as far as voice command I use it every day. It does an amazing job of finding anyone in my contacts list (probably 95% success rate).

Have my iPhone hooked up to my old Nokia CK-7W bluetooth car kit and it works a treat. I have no problem with pressing a single button on the car kit to answer a phone call or initate voice dialling.

I've had my share of mobiles - smart and not so smart - but despite some of the iPhones limitations it's still the most usable phone I've used. Solid apps, email, maps and browsing when out-and-about have been invaluable. Of course other smartphones do this but the iPhone is just the most straightforward and consistent to use... and usability is the most important thing for me.

I found out a cool trick the other day using a "me2phone"(it works on most mobiles apparently), if your having trouble with a remote control(tv's etc etc) you can check if its working by using the phones camera and view screen to see the if infrared signal LED thingy is flashing on the remote!

I spend a week XC skiing out of the Bogong Rover Chalet each year and the only mobile that gets coverage up there is the iPhone.
    Cheers, Ern

Quote Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
    Have my iPhone hooked up to my old Nokia CK-7W bluetooth car kit and it works a treat. I have no problem with pressing a single button on the car kit to answer a phone call or initate voice dialling.
    Thanks Mike, that is the same setup I have and I was wondering if it would work

Quote Originally Posted by DJ's Timber View Post
    If the phone is in a cradle, you're allowed to answer or make calls whilst driving, according to the rules
    Thanks for that DJ, I thought that having to manually answer the phone was a no no. I'll fit it to a cradle and all's good

Never had a use for auto answer but as far as voice command I use it every day. It does an amazing job of finding anyone in my contacts list (probably 95% success rate).

I've had my share of mobiles - smart and not so smart - but despite some of the iPhones limitations it's still the most usable phone I've used. Solid apps, email, maps and browsing when out-and-about have been invaluable. Of course other smartphones do this but the iPhone is just the most straightforward and consistent to use... and usability is the most important thing for me.
    Is the voice command a feature of the Nokia car kit? If not how do you get the iPhone to operate with voice command?

Is the voice command a feature of the Nokia car kit? If not how do you get the iPhone to operate with voice command?
    Well the car kit activates it but it's the iPhone that has the feature. Can't see why it wouldn't work with other car kits as long as they have an answer/dial button on them.

To activate Voice Control on the iPhone directly just make sure you're not in an application then hold down the "Home" button for 3 seconds.

Groggy, glad to be of help, my only criticism would be that the ring the Nokia kit makes can't be changed. It's just a utilitarian generic ringing sound.
    Last edited by Mike B; 10th January 2010 at 07:01 PM. Reason: spelling - clarity

To activate Voice Control on the iPhone directly just make sure you're not in an application then hold down the "Home" button for 3 seconds.
    Thanks for that Mike .

I have this vision of Scotty from Star Trek talking to an Apple saying "Computer...Computer.."

Or worse still, "beam me up Scotty."

Computer says NO!

I am not big on mobile phones - generally only carried around for emergencies - but I bought an iPhone via Vodafone (as they offer much cheaper running costs).

Why an iPhone? Well I needed a GPS, and I uploaded a package for $79 that is simply superb. It has saved my bacon a few times already.

I like the 16 GB memory for a music and photos (no interest in video), and this makes a wonderful alternative to my iPod.

The still- and movie cameras are excellent, and they get used.

As a phone I find the large buttons such a relief for someone with fingers that are as thick as mine and whose eyesight requires glasses for reading.

Plus, the on-board keyboard is actually useable for emails.

This past weekend was spent on Rottnest Island with the family, and I was able to not only receive all my emails, but view the forums with full graphic content on a decent sized screen. I doubt that I will do this very often, but the option is great.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Visit www.inthewoodshop.com for tutorials on constructing handtools, handtool reviews, and my trials and tribulations with furniture builds.

Im a bit surprised this thread hasn't been flooded by the usual "Blackberries as just so much better you need your head read for being moronic enough to buy a stupid iPhone" crowd. I love mine.

All of the above comments but I will add one app that makes for great time on holidays with the kids. Its called Geocaching, go to Geocaching - The Official Global GPS Cache Hunt Site to find out all about it but there is no other device on the market that gets close to the iPhone for caching. Makes it the stand out IMO.
    "We must never become callous. When we experience the conflicts ever more deeply we are living in truth. The quiet conscience is an invention of the devil." - Albert Schweizer

My blog. http://theupanddownblog.blogspot.com

I've had an iPhone for nearly 2 years and i wouldn't use anything else now. I love it.
    I recommend it to everyone who asks (and some who don't) and without exception, everybody who has got one on my recommendation has said "yeah you are right, these are great"
    Also surprisingly good to watch movies on.
    Thousands of applications to download, with more being developed every day. I've got a few that I thought were good enough to pay for but most of the ones i have are the free version.

Sebastiaan56, we've been Geocaching for years. Great fun. There are some really clever puzzles involved in some of the caches.
    Those were the droids I was looking for.
    https://autoblastgates.com.au