Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I think the US are a bit inconsistent by their half-mast flag flying, 30 days for a president is a bit excessive. Not sure what the rules are here in oz but in the UK it is just for the day of the funeral for all "important" people except the reigning soverign when it is from the death until the funeral.

I also believe that an individual can't fly the US flag at half-mast unless it is in response to a presedential or state governor proclamation.

However, there are other occaisions when flags are at half-mast - memorial day or something?
    They laughed when I said I was going to be a comedian. They're not laughing now.
    Bob Monkhouse

Dear Ryan,
    Of course there are no hard feelings. I apologise for any upset I may have caused.
    Kind regards,
    beejay1

http://community.webshots.com/user/eunos9

BeeJay, please don't pick on Ryan anymore; he is a gentleman; he called me wise!!

And Wood Borer,
    The coffin was wood, I know that much.. Obviously would be of Mediteranean origin. From the photos I saw; there was too nice a grain for pine as I know it. (Plainish but swirled & lightly knotted. Similiar to Huon Pine) At a guess I would pick Cedar of Lebanon as it has religious links through the ages. For a body to be left out in the hot sun for such a long time; I would guess that a highly aromatic timber would be a bonus for masking the pong ( especially in days gone by). I have read somewhere that the origin of the incense burners was for masking the smell of decaying bodies.

Now someone much wiser than me will step forward and tell us it was cypress.

Ken

Now someone much wiser than me will step forward and tell us it was cypress.Ken
    I think it was Ken

beejay1

BJ, Any idea of type & origin? It is nothing like any of the imported cypresses growing here. I'm sure others would be interested too.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Toggy
    BJ, Any idea of type & origin? It is nothing like any of the imported cypresses growing here. I'm sure others would be interested too.

Ken
    All i know Ken is that it was a local cypress, dont know any more than that. That one is then placed in a zinc one which in turn is placed inside a third made of either Walnut or Oak before being laid under the marble slab.
    beejay1

The voice over person on the teev said it was "a simple wooden coffin"

All I could think was: "wow, nice box. Those dovetails look great"

From the bit I heard on the TV; I sort of gained the impression that the "commentator" was more simple than the casket. I wonder how many times he had to wipe the brown drivel (bovine droppings) from his chin. I felt his drivel cheapened the whole affair. At least some of the more learned people passed on intelligent information.

Ken

I heard it called cypress, cedar and pine at different times. Makes you wonder how accurate the other comments were.

I hope they were handcut Toggy. They seemed to be equal width in the pins and tails and I didn't pick any hidden messages encoded in morse code with the spacing of the dovetails. What an opportunity!
    - Wood Borer