Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Motor home

Squizzy is half right.

Don't make your first visit to Victoria otherwise your visit to WA Sandgroper Country will be disappointing. If you visit WA first, you will be delighted but the follow up visit to Victoria will be even better.

We know you have already visited Australia before and if you play your cards right you might even be able play us off against each other. In that way you will be treated like a King all over Australia.

As you know, Australia is a great place everywhere. Perhaps you could collect a bit of timber from each State and make something using it all to remind yourself of your trip. Sharpern your tools well before you start, beautiful timber has it's price - lots of sharpening
    - Wood Borer

Quote Originally Posted by Iain
    fuel prices are outrageous.
    we think they are outrageous ... to anyone from Europe they are ridiculously low .... last time I went back the price in the uk was somewhere between double and three times the price here ( the difference is mainly taxes )

the other big difference is food is very cheap here compared to the uk, especially eating out. Took three young teenagers and myself out for a meal in a pub restaurant with a family dining area. 4 meals ( nothing fancy and one was off of the kids menu), three desserts, 2 rounds of soft drinks ( service was slow) and it cost the equivalent of around $140 :eek: . This was in the East Midlands which is a comparatively cheap area to live in ... in London I would almost certainly have paid more.
    no-one said on their death bed I wish I spent more time in the office!

Default visiting

To Squizzy,
    I had a ticket on the ss ORSOVA to Freemantle in 1954 but got homesick before the sailing date, took up the courting game instead but W.A. is definately on our must see list in the next 2/3 years god willing.

To Victoria and NSW ,

We are coming sometime in the next 8 weeks.
    woody U.K.

"Common looking people are the best in the world: that is the reason the Lord makes so many of them." ~ Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by jow104
    ...To Victoria and NSW ,

We are coming sometime in the next 8 weeks.
    Best we lock up our daughters!
    and our timber!
    Visit my website
    Website
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by AlexS
    Best we lock up our daughters!
    and our timber!

Very advisable, but I must confess the younger ones only want to jump me at the traffic lights these days, or get past me on the motorways.
    woody U.K.

"Common looking people are the best in the world: that is the reason the Lord makes so many of them." ~ Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by jow104
    Very advisable, but I must confess the younger ones only want to jump me at the traffic lights these days, or get past me on the motorways.
    Getting jumped by young women at traffic lights may get you in trouble with the law over here. :eek:

something to do with public indecency(?)
    I try and do new things twice.. the first time to see if I can do it.. the second time to see if I like it
    Kev

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

The only thing indecent about it is that it has never happened to me
    Wish mode off.
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.

Default traffic lights

My memory is fading
    woody U.K.

Default Wicked campers are coming

Booking a van today with Wicked Campers starting at Sydney 15th January returning to Sydney for flight home 10 or 12 th February.2005.

So should be carrying some stocks of the wet stuff.
    woody U.K.

Keep us up to date with your travels John.

I will PM you my home phone number in case you can't contact me any other way.
    - Wood Borer

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

I had a couple of PM's with Jow and might try to organise a weekend at my place if anyone is interested, I've got 5 acres and the horses won't mind being kicked out of one of the paddocks for the weekend.
    BYO tent and whatever, even got a big hayshed if anyone wants to pitch a tent without getting wet.
    Might have to organise a portaloo or something though.
    Thoughts anyone, a chance to meet a real live pom (apologies to jow from us colonials).
    Could even run power if anyone wants to bring a scrollsaw or whatever.
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.

Default How about

Sound great Iain.

If its a weekend party can I suggest for openers either Saturday 29th January or Saturday 5th February.

But I can be entirely flexible, except I shall want to be back in Sydney Saturday 12 Feb for flight home.
    woody U.K.

Sounds spot on to me. Won't stay the night and I can't make it on Feb the 5th but other than that, keep me in the loop.
    - Wood Borer

Default problem but overcome

One of those days...........................

Digressing from woodwork, I had the previous day reserved flight seats to Oz, and during the next 24 hours I was making arrangements for van hire, kennels for pets, and all the things you do when arranging your hols. I then telephoned the travel agents to confirm the booking and make the payment. That’s when things started to go wrong. I gave all the usual details, card number, and date of birth, passport number etc. etc. and then........................

the man on the other end of the telephone said I would have to fax a copy of my credit card front and back, and my bank statement heading. NOT BL O,O.D..Y LIKELY I SAID. and told him I was reporting to the credit card company.

The credit card companies fraud department knew of the other sides name and told me to cancel all arrangements and never to do such a thing as requested.

I am pleased to say I have managed to keep the same holiday arrangements with a new booking agent but this did curtail woodwork pleasures for the day.
    woody U.K.

Default planning

Thanks again for your welcoming gestures to our intending visit in Jan/Feb and
    I see that woodborer has responded.

Had a minor scare yesterday with the booking set up, but hopefully things have sorted themselves out.

Janet & I (john) are looking forward to our trip but although we have booked a small camper van we are not retired hippies (honest). We will more than likely stay at motels etc. on route as we did in January this year. Its sometimes very comfortable to have a van when touring instead of a car, you can change to go on the beach or dressup for a restaurant if its necessary. Also if motels are fully booked you can always park somewhere for the night. OR CAN YOU?
    woody U.K.