Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart. View Post
    So the reason I don't have RSI from computer work, is I do complementary opposite exercises.....

So here it is - for every 10 minutes with the mouse, spend an hour drinking beer/coke etc.

For every 10 minutes sitting at the computer, spend an hour chatting with the helpdesk, having a laugh at the latest list of PEBKACs

Works for me
    Yeah. It's not rocket science is it?

You must have worked it out instinctively. Or else you're a OHS guru.

In my case, I did typing at high school and I think being able to type with all 10 fingers is one of the best skills I ever learned. I really think that those people who use the same muscles all the time are in sweatshops or the like.

In a real work eivironment, if your hand or arm gets tired from typing, do something different! It's the same with anything. Give it a rest!

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by craigb View Post
    I used to get bad pain in my right shoulder and arm. It got so bad that I didn't have any strength in the arm at all. Couldn't really lift anything of any weight.

So I changed the position of my mouse to the left side of the PC.

Problem solved.

It took a few weeks for the arm to get back to normal though.

The other thing is that it really stuffs people up when they try and use your PC.
    Yep, I did exactly as above, pain now subsiding quickly. I'm still a bit unco after about 3 months (after 18 years the other way), better to laugh at it and carry on really. Now, logically it should take about 9 years to "balance up" so then I'll just change back again for 4 and half, back 2 and a quarter, back 1 and...back to zero, by that time I'll probably be talking to the things anyway.

I admit it - have worked in OHSE (teaching Emergency Procedures to Staff), also in the Navy, and am currently a Health & Safety rep, first aider etc etc.

I do get a lot of people needing help with RSI and do what I can for them - different setups, voice recognition software etc, and also a LOT of whinging, whining BS. It is a matter of filtering it all though, helping those who need it, and .......

wait a minute.....sounds like I'm a moderator..... :eek:
    "Clear, Ease Springs"
    www.Stu's Shed.com

At work we have someone who is clearly abusing the 'system. It is so embarrassing that others with genuine complaints are now scared to speak up because they know the reaction will be "oh god, here comes another one!".

I have in the past pulled a muscle in my lower back due to over exertion, as soon as it happened I could hardly walk and was immediately accused of malingering. Obviously I resented that, I also resent having the beginnings of limited movement in my arms and weakness that I suspect may be RSI or whatever it is, and not being inclined to do anything about it because my generation has always just "got on with it".

I guess that makes me a bit of a mug.

Look at the clock in the corner of your screen.
    As soon as it ticks over the next minute, stick your left arm (right if you are a lefty) straight out parallel to the floor, palm down, & hold it there for one minute.
    (watch the clock dumby)
    As soon as a minute is up, put your arm down by your side at rest.
    The sensation you feel is fatigue, not RSI.
    Caused by using musles that you don't normally use, they can do it but are out of condition so they hurt after a while.

Makes a point, I'm not sure what the point is but it makes a point.
    I think it kind of supports Wongo's point.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rogers View Post
    Look at the clock in the corner of your screen.
    As soon as it ticks over the next minute, stick your left arm (right if you are a lefty) straight out parallel to the floor, palm down, & hold it there for one minute.
    (watch the clock dumby)
    As soon as a minute is up, put your arm down by your side at rest.
    The sensation you feel is fatigue, not RSI.
    Caused by using musles that you don't normally use, they can do it but are out of condition so they hurt after a while.

Makes a point, I'm not sure what the point is but it makes a point.
    I think it kind of supports Wongo's point.
    Oh! Gawd! another OHS guru

Quote Originally Posted by keith53 View Post
    Oh! Gawd! another OHS guru
    Nope, like all (well most) statistics that are quoted, I made it up on the spot.

Works though doesn't it.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

I tried it Ohmygod it feels...................................like an arm!!
    Must have a direct link to the fact I don't have to sit in front of a cr@ppy screen all day.

Quote Originally Posted by felixe View Post
    ....Must have a direct link to the fact I don't have to sit in front of a cr@ppy screen all day.
    If that is the case, how did you know where to find the clock.
    Cliff.

This RSI thing seems to be a big thing in OZ. And for many years now too. Just the other day I was watching some old footage of Sir Les Patterson. He was describing some RSI that he copped at the RSL.
    Les

Any chance that the condition will spred to the Austalian 11 this summer if your bowlers have to bowl 60 overs every innings each they should be good subjects for the complaint.
    woody U.K.

"Common looking people are the best in the world: that is the reason the Lord makes so many of them." ~ Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by jow104 View Post
    Any chance that the condition will spred to the Austalian 11 this summer if your bowlers have to bowl 60 overs every innings each they should be good subjects for the complaint.
    Against who John? :confused:
    Besides, if their good arm was crook, they could use the other one & still beat the bloody poms.
    Cliff.

what a pack of soft poufs.
    Zed

Default Piano

Wow.
    Poor Beathaven and Mozzart.
    I knew they suffered terribly, but now I realise it was RSI.

If only they had oh & S in those days we may have got some better music.

Then think of the noise pollution that Bach had to suffer (apart from the teasing from his unfortunate name).

We're so lucky to live in our wonderful world today.

Regards
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by arose
    I'm in IT, and am amazed that most keyboard users can't touch type
    I can't. Maybe that's why I've never suffered from RSI. And because I have to look at the keyboard a lot, maybe that's why I don't get vision problems from staring at the monitor non stop. See, you touch typing smarties think you're so clever but you're not
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."