Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 15500 Members

Quote Originally Posted by View Post
    ]............I wish that people had to read all the posts instead of just zeroing in on the posts that seem to be the most controversial.......................
    You mean we don't have to read all the posts? , well, that will certainly free up some time.

Mick (bantering )
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

I can accept, , that this forum is organised and run by the people who own it. I've said here in the past that in the main I like the way it's run. The forum has changed my life for the better, because in my job I don't have an opportunity to speak to many people. This forum therefore allows me access to the attitudes and knowledge of people of my own age.

But a part of me is rankled every time a severe reminder of the tenuousnous of our association with this forum is thrust down the line at us by someone in charge (e.g., "the benevolence is running short"). This message almost always carries with it a reminder that we are non-paying naughty boys hanging on to our positions by a thread (excuse the pun).

Surely a forum like this should function best as an accurate reflection of all of the vagaries: the moods, idiosynchrasies, brilliance, stupidity, knowledge, anger, and so on, that we're all made from. As I said, I avoid the drivel threads becaue the type of humour doesn't suit me, but I acknowledge the rights of the drivellers to drivel. I notice that some of them are members who post knowledgeable messages at other times, and who have been helpful to me and others.

I agree that the drivel should be kept to a single thread, and that it should be identified so that we non-drivelers can avoid it.

I'd also like to suggest that a fund be somehow made available so that members could make voluntary contributions to the running of the forum. I for one would be happy to contribute.

Quote Originally Posted by Studley 2436 View Post
    I have the plan for your mortise and tenon jig.
    Studley
    Studley, that's Rocker's plans that you have. I haven't made a mortice and tenon jig.

Peter.

There is the facility to take subscriptions on VB3 which is the software that is used to run the forums.

How much are you prepared to pay to be a member?

Al

I always assumed, maybe incorrectly that those little adds at the top of the screen would have been more than compensation for running the forum..

Quote Originally Posted by Bleedin Thumb View Post
    I always assumed, maybe incorrectly that those little adds at the top of the screen would have been more than compensation for running the forum..
    I doubt it, 100 clicks = 1 cent.

Al

Quote Originally Posted by Bleedin Thumb View Post
    You made me curious so I clicked on the "advertise on this site" link. I think it is fairly safe to say Neil would be lucky to get beer money from it.

There goes my plan of starting a drivelers forum then.

"but I acknowledge the rights of the drivellers to drivel."

Do we have rights on the forum ?

OR is it a privilege to use it and our responsibility do so sensibly as it is graciously provided by our host at his own expense to promote the interests of wood work.

Perhaps there should be mid week drivel thread as well, clearly marked of course, as an added outlet

I agree with Sturdee's well put sentiment
    David L
    One of the great crowd beyond the bloom of youth on the Sunshine Coast

If you take the fun away from this forum, I don’t think I will be here for much longer.

I was recently invited to a private US rocking chair forum. It is great because everyone makes Maloof type rockers but boy you'll have to wait a few days to see a new post.

Let's face it people come and people go with or without the drivel.

Now let’s talk woodwork. Where do you want to start?
    Visit my website at www.myFineWoodWork.com

Quote Originally Posted by Wongo View Post
    If you take the fun away from this forum, I don’t think I will be here for much longer.
    Wongo, did you read Robbos post?

as a well recognised driveler... (I know - humble aint I?) I just took a break from the forum and it really has been quite hard to pick up on the ongoing sagas of drivel - to the point where I just decided not to. I now post just occasionally and only read a thread if its of immediate concern or interest to me - mind u its becuase of me not because of u that I choose to do this.

Dont get me wrong - I go into gales of laughter sometimes and the collective intelligence here is astounding.

the friday thread - meaningless crap IMNSHO.

R's
    Zed

Default Warning! Long, rambling post.

Warning! Please ignore this long, rambling post if you are trying to avoid getting bogged down in this discussion.

As a member of some other WW forums, including those "Yank" ones sometimes referred to (damn, a dangling preposition), I joined this Forum just because of the light-hearted approaches and "laconic" humour lacking elsewhere. (Also, because I wanted to study Australian "as a second language." )

I have learned a great deal here, more actually than on the Other forum, and I hope that I have occasionally contributed some help as well. In the short time I've been here, the Forum has added a number of wonderful new sections, like Woodworking Women and, my personal favourite, the forum videos. All good and very welcome.

If, as some have observed, the Friday Thread (and others) are changing the face of the forum for the worse, then I am in favour of curbing it. As you know, I have been a contributor to the "drivel"; just considered it good, clean (if sometimes enigmatic) fun and thought no more of it. I had no trouble wading through the threads to find serious topics. I now see that for some members it is a serious distraction.

But whilst the Friday thread is not the only culprit, I take Lignum's point that it may have also had a bad effect on the more serious threads as well. (BTW, anyone who thinks that The Rip In The Fabric . . . is drivel should try writing a decent segment of it, keeping the characters and stage set in mind. It ain't easy.)

When I did the maths after the Friday thread deletions, I calculated (using the reduced number of posts associated with my CP) that I had been guilty of contributing about 10% drivel to 90% not-drivel. A respectiable percentage, but by no means egregious. I think, however, that I can live with a 3%-4% drivel contribution level and will limit myself accordingly.

But, I will continue to be a Seppo smarta*&e when the occasion begs for it while endeavoring to do my part to restore the tone of the forums to its pre-Friday level.

To those who have done a dummy spit, I invite you to reconsider. To those who have implied that most drivelers don't do actual woodworking, I invite you to do your homework. And to those of you to whom the drivel was a major distraction, my sincere apologies along with a mild suggestion that you lighten up a bit.

(As a tongue-in-cheek aside, Ozwinner I love you like a brother and you are welcome in my shed anytime (bring your own chair and stubbie holder) but how quickly we forget . . . )

Anyhow, I intend to stay around a long time or until pulls the plug.
    Cheers,

Bob

I only implied that there was currently a lot more bulldust than sawdust being produced at the moment...

Re Adsense, and income - I'm just glad that there is some income to offset the $25000 or this forum costs to run a year (and all our labour is free - factor that in ) If it is cost neutral - bonus! Even if it runs at a profit, I bet it will be many years before Ubeaut's investment, and years of running at a loss are countered.
    "Clear, Ease Springs"
    www.Stu's Shed.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sturdee View Post
    Studley, that's Rocker's plans that you have. I haven't made a mortice and tenon jig.

Peter.
    Ouch can I say OMG?

Anyway you get the picture Peter hope the pat on the back got through OK

Studley
    Aussie Hardwood Number One