Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

With regards the religious door knockers - I must have a secret black mark out at the letter box somewhere as they only came once - years ago.

They knocked, when identified I asked them to hang on while I got a pad and pencil. Asked for their names, where they lived [which I got], then asked for the name and address of who sent them to my door - I wasn't quite quick enough at first as the answer was "The Lord", asked for the name and address of the human who sent them and they backpedalled smartly and said that they could see I was busy and that they would not bother me. - and they haven't.

So, if only I could find that black mark out at the letter box and apply it to the phone ............

Had my 1st call from one of these pests since the register came in - a local real estate agent offering a free valuation. Asked if she'd heard of the DNC register. Ooh, she says, are you on that.

Reported it via the website, which promises a response within a fortnight. We shall see.

On the website, they ask a number of questions, one of which is "Do you agree to having your phone number passed on to another organisation during the investigation" or words to that effect. I'm wondering what sort of organisation they are talking about.
    Visit my website
    Website
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Bob38S View Post
    With regards the religious door knockers - I must have a secret black mark out at the letter box somewhere as they only came once - years ago.

They knocked, when identified I asked them to hang on while I got a pad and pencil. Asked for their names, where they lived [which I got], then asked for the name and address of who sent them to my door - I wasn't quite quick enough at first as the answer was "The Lord", asked for the name and address of the human who sent them and they backpedalled smartly and said that they could see I was busy and that they would not bother me. - and they haven't.

So, if only I could find that black mark out at the letter box and apply it to the phone ............
    Bob

DAMHIK but you would be on a "DO NOT CALL" register.

I've had a bit of fun with telemarketers since the DNC register came out:

If I get a call, I ask them straight away if they mind if I record the call. They usually say they don't mind, go ahead...

Then I cut them off while they are winding up their spiel and ask them for their name and the exact name of the company, and repeat it back to them, asking if it's correct. I make them tell me the actual company name and quiz them for a ABN. (they usually say it's XYZ Co. And I ask them what the XYZ actually means)

Then while they are just getting going again, I cut them off again and ask them if they have heard of the Australian Government's Do not call register. Even if they have, I explain to them how it all works and that I have them on tape and how big the fines are, and how mad their boss is going to be when he finds out what they have done, etc. etc.

They usually can't wait to get off the phone. It's a riot. I try and keep them on the line and ask them to repeat their company name and employee number etc. Eventually, they run away. hard.

All I have left to do at that point is to laugh a lot. Of course, I don't have a phone recording machine, so I never actually record the call, they don't know that...

woodbe.

Quote Originally Posted by woodbe View Post
    ... I don't have a phone recording machine, so I never actually record the call, they don't know that...

woodbe.
    You wicked, wicked man
    Visit my website
    Website
    Facebook

I tried to register my home phone tonight as we have received a few spam calls, they wanted my email address so it could go through properly, yeah like fun.

Al

seems to be working well. I registered a while back and haven't had one for quite a while now.
    If at first you don't succeed, give something else a go. Life is far too short to waste time trying.

Same here too, used to get 2 or 3 a day. Now I only get 1 a week if that.
    Cheers

DJ

ADMIN

I give you props woodbe. Had one call my cell phone the other day made me very mad.

Forget about the Do Not Call Register!
    You are only setting yourself up for another list as well as confirmation of who is the phone owner.

Get an answering machine - let the machine answer - if its a tele-marketer they will hang up (but the still have to pay for the call).

If its someone you know they will give their name and hang on for you to intercept the call. If you are not home then you have a name and number to call back later.

You will be amazed at the number of hang ups and cost of wasted calls by the "perpetrators of peddle".

Just be sure to speak slowly and clearly to identify you phone number and name so that genuine people can be sure that they are dialing the correct number.

Don't hardly get any spam calls, maybe its because I've got an unlisted number. Get one or two now and the from the phone company but thats about it. I did make the mistake of putting my phone number on one of those "win a new car" things at the supermarket and a few weeks later got a call from a tele-marketer informing me I had won a fabulous prize and before she could go on, I asked if she had my address and when she said that she had, I told her to "'be a darling and just pop the prize in the post to me" and hung up. She didn't ring back and I am still waiting for the prize.
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John

Quote Originally Posted by munruben View Post
    Don't hardly get any spam calls, maybe its because I've got an unlisted number. Get one or two now and the from the phone company but thats about it. I did make the mistake of putting my phone number on one of those "win a new car" things at the supermarket and a few weeks later got a call from a tele-marketer informing me I had won a fabulous prize and before she could go on, I asked if she had my address and when she said that she had, I told her to "'be a darling and just pop the prize in the post to me" and hung up. She didn't ring back and I am still waiting for the prize.

ps didjya get it in the post?
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Quote Originally Posted by Linden Hardy View Post
    Forget about the Do Not Call Register!

Since we registered we haven't had any telemarketers calling us and no longer those computer generated calls that hang up when you answer,instead of the 7 to 8 calls per day we used to receive.

I think it's great.

Peter.

well just use the answring machine and call screening and i hardly get any calls at all so they must know how broke i am and that i cant afford anything

but the one thing tha t bugs me is friends workmates that know i screen
    calls dont answer machine or wait for me to come on and hang up before i can answer them

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

Had one mob call, I get that little pause between the 'hello' and their response so I hang up, usually about 2 seconds, one called about three times in 10 minutes and on the last attempt was on the phone waiting for me.
    Conversation follows,'Hello', I have tried to call you a few times in the past few minutes and you hang up before I speak, you are very rude', "Yes I am, now F%#* Off" Hang Up.
    No more calls.
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.