Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Another one in the club. Its amazing how quickly it happens. Good luck Ironwood. I'll teach you some tricks to freak out the grandkids....
    "We must never become callous. When we experience the conflicts ever more deeply we are living in truth. The quiet conscience is an invention of the devil." - Albert Schweizer

My blog. http://theupanddownblog.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ironwood View Post

My wife took a couple of pics at the hospital with her phone. I'll try and load them later on if they are any good ( she took them while looking away)
    I have only read the first post in fear of there actually being pictures! At least you have an excuse for the typos for a while! Hope things go well!
    anne-maria.
    T
    ea Lady

(White with none)
    Follow my little workshop/gallery on facebook. things of clay and wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzie View Post
    Oooo. I scrolled really fast over that last reply. I felt a contraction go all the way from one sphincter to another.

I hope it heals well Ironwood.
    I too had to scroll past fast! Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck! I'm not even gonna read about it!
    anne-maria.
    T
    ea Lady

(White with none)
    Follow my little workshop/gallery on facebook. things of clay and wood.

Ouch, Hope it heals up real quick.

Ratty 05/2004 -05/07/2010 COOPER 01/08/1998-31/01/2012

Quote Originally Posted by tea lady View Post
    I have only read the first post in fear of there actually being pictures! At least you have an excuse for the typos for a while! Hope things go well!
    Sorry to dissapoint with no photos TL .
    I only use 2 fingers to type normally, so it hasnt slowed me down too much .

Went to the Doc for a checkup on Monday, looks OK so far. Booked in to get the stitches out on Friday morning.

I can almost feel the pain. Hope it heals quickly. Take it easy.
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John

Quote Originally Posted by munruben View Post
    I can almost feel the pain. Hope it heals quickly. Take it easy.
    Thanks John.

It only hurts when I bump it , and thats quite often trying to do my job

FenceFurniture is offline The prize lies beneath - hidden in full view

Default I urge everyone to read this: Uvex gloves - cut level 5

Ironwood and EVERYONE please note:

UVEX Bamboo gloves with a cut proof rating of 5 are FAB-U-LARSE. You lose minimum dexterity, they are exceptionally comfortable, and come in five different finishes (no non-slip coating through to full non-slip coating). They last for ages and cost around eighteen bucks. When my current pair finally wear out I'm going to test them in a few different ways (knives, scissors, axe etc) and will post some pics. That could be a while though - they look like crap now, but don't show any signs of expiring (and that's with 2-3 hours a day, every day, for the last eight months).

Only yesterday my dopey left forefinger bumped into a savagely sharp Miebach BP drill spinning at about 1200 rpm, and whilst it gave me a belt of adrenalin , I hardly felt anything - just a bit of vibration. Granted that it wouldn't have done a lot of damage without the gloves, but there certainly would have been blood. I even use one on my left hand whilst hand planing (I'm right handed) to save against a cut from the timber edge, and I've been saved a few times.

I use these gloves for many many tasks and they just don't interfere. Available from Blackwoods and others.

Looky hear Profas COM EN

What's more, they are made in Germany - nuff said?

UVEX also make a whole host of other safety equipment, and I'm particularly interested in getting a helmet and perhaps a baseball cap.

Regards, Brett

Quote Originally Posted by FenceFurniture View Post

Only yesterday my dopey left forefinger bumped into a savagely sharp Miebach BP drill spinning at about 1200 rpm, . . . . .
    I'd be very, very careful about using any gloves around anything spinning at any decent rpm. The only spinning power tools I use with gloves are angle grinders and a chainsaws and that's because I never put my hands anywhere near the spinny bits.

Besides they wouldn't help a jot against a set of jointer blades.

FenceFurniture is offline The prize lies beneath - hidden in full view

Hi Bob, is that because the gloves (and fingers) could be drawn in? It's a tough choice eh?

I wonder what the OH&S eggspurts have to say on this matter.

Quote Originally Posted by FenceFurniture View Post
    Hi Bob, is that because the gloves (and fingers) could be drawn in?
    Yep

It's a tough choice eh?
    I think it's a no brainer, I rather get a cut or even a finger taken off than to get all the flesh stripped off my hand or arm - these are horrendous injuries.

I wonder what the OH&S eggspurts have to say on this matter.
    Generally it's no gloves near rotating shafts. These days rotating shafts have to be guarded so you can't even get your hand near the rotating piece - in that case the risk from gloves is much reduced and some form of glove then becomes a requirement. That's fine since they generally reduce cuts and scratches at some minor loss of dexterity.

I so use gloves in my shed and work place quite a bit. Welding gloves, thin leather ones for Chainsaw and angle grinder work, Just doing a bit of greasy mechanical maintenance when there's no mechanical motion I'll often slip on a pair of latex gloves. Their also good for painting. If I did a lot of mechanical work or even metal work I'd probably go for something like the uvex. But lathe, mill, drill press, and power tools I'll stick with bare hands.

acmegridley Guest

Welcome to the club left thumb 1st joint lost years ago while in stupor after nervous breakdown of my brother.

Quote Originally Posted by acmegridley View Post
    Welcome to the club .
    Thanks, but its a club I never wanted to join .

Went and got the stitches out today, a little bit of infection setting in on the wound.
    Going back on monday for another checkup.
    Hoping it doesnt get worse, or I may have to get a bit more chopped off .

(after the shuddering, shivering and mental imagery stop)

I hope the infection doesn't set in!

I shuddered every time I heard my dad start up his power tools. He's extra careful but the thought would always play through my head and scared me. What'm I going to do with myself when I finally move in with Skew eh? I'll have to start taking paramedic and advanced emergency response courses just to assuage my own unnecessary fears.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you Ironwood.
    Let us know how you are, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Skew's_Girl View Post
    What'm I going to do with myself when I finally move in with Skew eh? I'll have to start taking paramedic and advanced emergency response courses just to assuage my own unnecessary fears.
    The best precautionary measure would be to just stand behind Skew.
    I make things, I just take a long time.

www.brandhouse.net.au