Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I just purchased the $70 TS80A metal detector from Carbatec and have done a few tests that you folks may be interested in.

The manufacturers, Shanghai metal detectors website, use a highly scientific detection threshold rating of, being able to detect a US quarter at distances of up to a 60 mm.

I have done some futher testing using the much more scientific units of standard paper staples and paperclips straightened out and standing on their ends thus simulating small nails.

The TS80A unit can detect a single paper staple (provided it comes within the loop) standing on end through up to 1 mm of paper. A at distance of between 1 and 2 mm it detects the staple intermittently, at beyond ~2 mm it cannot detect the staple.

A standard paperclip standing on end can be reliably detected at a distance up to 4mm.

I have some confidence that this will do the job although it depends on how rigorously one uses it and of course it only detects metal. If you have bits of rock, glass or other metallic objects this device cannot do anything about those.

Hang on to your receipt Bobl.

I might be able to get some used models of these Garrett Superscanners. I will do some tests on them like you have first though, and if successful I will offer a few up for sale at a similar price.
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by martrix View Post
    Hang on to your receipt Bobl.

I might be able to get some used models of these Garrett Superscanners. I will do some tests on them like you have first though, and if successful I will offer a few up for sale at a similar price.
    Hi Martrix,
    Thanks for the info - I'll definitely be hanging onto my receipt.
    I looked at the Garrets and they appear to have the same sensititivty as the TS80As, ie razor blade at 3". Most should find a 2" nail so what's critical for thicknesser users is of course the ability to find the small stuff. Anyway I'll be interested to see your results.

Cheers

Yeh a 2" nail is no chalenge at all.
    I have a sample of a garett coppy which will do that no problem.

Its the 1 & 2mm brads that are the test.

Here's a simple test.
    put a 2mm x 20mm brad in the open plam of your hand.
    will the detector pick it up lying across and long ways with the scan..... all right.
    stick it between your fingers standing upright.... try again.

now do the same with the nail in your closed fist and scan the back of your hand.

If you can find a dector that will do that...... I want to know where they come from.

cheers
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.
    Abrasives can be just as dangerous as a blade.....and 10 times more painfull.

Hi,
    I purchased the latest metal detector from Carba-tec about three weeks ago, They are on special at the moment and are advertised in the latest 'Australian Woodworker' #54, which arrived in the mail today, Price $59.00 and well worth it.
    Cheers,
    Ron.

Quote Originally Posted by soundman View Post
    now do the same with the nail in your closed fist and scan the back of your hand.
    Nope mine won't do that but I did some more tests using a 1 x 10 mm brad standing on end embedded in pine and it can detect it reliably at a depth of 10 mm. A 2 x 15 brad can be detected at ~15 mm. I think that is workable for my situation.

Cheers