Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

oops, got censored, I didn't know a#se counted as a rude word, sorry guys!

According to the 5101 manual, the cable modem can act as a DHCP server allocating up to 32 IP addresses for multiple PC's. This implies that it also does NAT as the IP addresses it allocates are in the 192.168.100.1 - 192.168.100.42 range.
    This will need to be enabled in your modem. To do this, point your browser at the admininstration address of the modem: http://192.168.100.1
    On the Configuration page thare is an option, DHCP server enabled, tick this then click on Save. You'll need to click on Restart Cable Modem.
    There is no guaranteer that this will work as the feature might be disabled by your ISP (They can configure the modem remotely)

I didn't pick up on this modem feature earlier as like most people with multiple computers on their local network, I run a router/firewall.

Quote Originally Posted by felixe
    It still would be easier to buy a router but I can be a stubborn bugger!!!!!!!
    we know

Quote Originally Posted by snowyskiesau
    According to the 5101 manual, the cable modem can act as a DHCP server allocating up to 32 IP addresses for multiple PC's. This implies that it also does NAT as the IP addresses it allocates are in the 192.168.100.1 - 192.168.100.42 range.
    This will need to be enabled in your modem. To do this, point your browser at the admininstration address of the modem: http://192.168.100.1
    On the Configuration page thare is an option, DHCP server enabled, tick this then click on Save. You'll need to click on Restart Cable Modem.
    There is no guaranteer that this will work as the feature might be disabled by your ISP (They can configure the modem remotely)

I didn't pick up on this modem feature earlier as like most people with multiple computers on their local network, I run a router/firewall.
    Nice pick up. It will be interesting to see if it works.
    If at first you don't succeed, give something else a go. Life is far too short to waste time trying.

I'll let you know in a couple of hours, I gotta go to school, bye for now!

I might be wrong WRT what I previously said about the cable modem and DHCP. I just re-read the modem web page and it states:

The SURFboard cable modem can be used as a gateway to the Internet by a maximum of 32 users on a Local Area Network (LAN). When the Cable Modem is disconnected from the Internet, users on the LAN can be dynamically assigned IP Addresses by the Cable Modem DHCP Server. These addresses are assigned from an address pool which begins with 192.168.100.11 and ends with 192.168.100.42. Statically assigned IP addresses for other devices on the LAN should be chosen from outside of this range

This probably means that the DHCP fuction only works when there is no connection to the internet. This would make some sense as the modem is not capable of acting as a DHCP client i.e. to get an IP address from the ISP.
    There is nothing in any of the Motorola docs that clarifies this. I can't see any reference to it on the various networking forums I've searched.

You should be able to just use USB to connect to the first computer, then use your current switch and a normal ethernet cable to connect to the second via the network cards/ ports. Just turn on internet sharing (or whatever NAT is called in windows). If you have already sold the switch then use a crossover cable.

Alternatives I would try are:
    1. look in the modem config pages (see post above) and turn on dhcp/ nat, then just use the switch and have the two compters run off it.

2. find a give away 486 PC or above with a floppy drive and install a floppy based linux firewall/ router OS like freesco. Hook this up to your switch and you have much more protection, power and control

3. drop your current ISP for a decent one like internode and get real service from the help desk.

Feel free to email me on [email protected] or PM - I am happy to help.

shaun

We're going around in so many circles I think my lunch is going to come up. Please, felixe, mate, buddy, pal, best friend (I"ll even marry you if it helps) JUST BUY THE D-LINK!!! and put us out of this misery.

If at first you don't succeed, give something else a go. Life is far too short to waste time trying.

Sbranden,
    I was told by the tech guy who installed the modem that USB is terribly unreliable, so that is out because it would sh#t me to tears with it dropping out.
    I have just setup for option 1.
    Option 2 sounds harder than just buying a router.
    Option 3 requires me to cancel my contract and pay optus more money than I would have to outlay for option 2 and a router combined!
    However thank you for your input, and your invitation for assistance, it is always appreciated how everyone helps a techno retard like me!

snowskiesau,
    If,
    "This probably means that the DHCP fuction only works when there is no connection to the internet. This would make some sense as the modem is not capable of acting as a DHCP client i.e. to get an IP address from the ISP".
    means that, for instance, I can get the network status up and running, and the LAN connection status panel for each computer tells me that each computer has:
    An address type assigned by DHCP, and
    The IP address is 220.230.71.10 for Computer A and 220.230.71.11 for computer B, and
    the status is connected, and
    the speed on both computers is the same,
    and the duration timer is running, BUT
    I cannot log onto the internet because the cable modem is disconnected from the internet, then this is true!. Because the above scenario is as far as I have got!. Even with the modem running (all lights flashing) and the network status saying everything is fine, I cannot get online.
    Does this make sense?.
    So in conclusion???

C''mon Gumby isn't this fun?

....So in conclusion???
    I've got a couple of 2nd hand Snapgear Routers.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

C''mon Gumby isn't this fun?
    It used to be

A whatgear router?
    1/2 or 1/4 inch?

Yer use them to catch snapper
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Oh well, that's no good for me then, I don't think there are any in Brisbane river and I don't own a tinnie.

I said I'd butt out but can't help myself. Felixe, I vaguely remember having a similar problem and fixed it by changing my browser settings (Internet Explorer). Under "Tools", "Internet Options", "Connections", go to "LAN settings" and ensure there's a tick in the box "Automatically detect settings" on both computers.

Also, did you do the following as posted by snowyskiesau ?

Originally Posted by snowyskiesau

This will need to be enabled in your modem. To do this, point your browser at the administration address of the modem: http://192.168.100.1
    On the Configuration page there is an option, DHCP server enabled, tick this then click on Save. You'll need to click on Restart Cable Modem.