Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

View Poll Results: Is it OK to buy something when you fully intend to return it under warranty.

Voters
106. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have no opinion either way

0 0%
  • Yes, if they are stupid enough to allow it.

1 0.94%
  • Sure, why not, it doesn't cost me anything that way?

1 0.94%
  • No.

25 23.58%
  • No, it increases the prices, like shoplifting does.

7 6.60%
  • No, it is fraudulent, costs everyone extra and is dishonest

72 67.92%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Different question entirely. I took back their Powered Router table after about 3 weeks because it just doesn't do the job, clogs up with dust and can't be adjusted. It's a complete waste of money. I bought the Triton the day I returned that GMC piece of rubbish.
    If at first you don't succeed, give something else a go. Life is far too short to waste time trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumby
    Different question entirely. I took back their Powered Router table after about 3 weeks because it just doesn't do the job, clogs up with dust and can't be adjusted. It's a complete waste of money. I bought the Triton the day I returned that GMC piece of rubbish.
    Gumby, if you're feeling guilty, I have the same POS, which I'll sell you cheap!

Construction has begun on a killer table to house the new Jet insert and lifter.
    Bodgy
    "Is it not enough simply to be able to appreciate the beauty of the garden without it being necessary to believe that there are faeries at the bottom of it? " Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Bodgy
    Gumby, if you're feeling guilty, I have the same POS, which I'll sell you cheap!

Construction has begun on a killer table to house the new Jet insert and lifter.
    No mate, not feeling guilty at all. If they sell crap like that, they get what they deserve. Having said that, I have a shed full of cheap stuff inc some GMC which I'm very happy with (see the video - if you dare)
    If at first you don't succeed, give something else a go. Life is far too short to waste time trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Groggy
    In another thread I read something that got my attention and I thought it needs to be discussed.

Do you think it is OK to buy something, fully intending to return it under warranty when you finish with it?
    If it's crap, yes. I assume you're referring to a comment of mine and as I said, the product was good, so no need to return it.

Personally, I reckon the 30 day return warranty is a good statement of confidence in one's product and it occasionally prompts a sale. Nothing wrong with that.
    Cheers,
    Craig

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Jones
    What a bluddy stupid question.

What answer were you expecting? Yeah, fine, stuff honesty!
    Get real mate.
    Might be better to find out all the background and think it through before criticising the question.:mad:

Perhaps the poll may not elicit any contradictory reactions, but I'm not convinced that there are some who believe otherwise, even if they are not prepared to tick the relevant box. If it gets them to question their values, then many here would feel that the thread has had purpose.

It may be Craig, that your comment:
    Quote Originally Posted by Exador
    "I'll take it back next week, tell them I'm not happy and trundle down to Carbatech"
    was interpreted in a different way than you meant when you wrote it.
    "Clear, Ease Springs"
    www.Stu's Shed.com

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart.

It may be Craig, that your comment:

was interpreted in a different way than you meant when you wrote it.
    It certainly sounds like it. I have bought 2 GMC tools now, the 9.25" Platinum range saw, which is a fantastic buy, to the point that I'm thinking of buying another to put a finer blade on; and the biscuiter. both have been bought for commercial use and both were bought in the cynical expectation that they'd be rubbish and hence end up returned. Neither has.

I don't see why anyone would expect me to deny that the warranty was in my mind when I bought the things. If it wasn't there, I would have bought a 'quality' brand.
    Cheers,
    Craig

Not at all mate - think others read it the same as I originally did - that it was bought with the intention of returning it under warranty when Carbatec was open. I can see now how you did mean it to be read.

So no slur on your name, but this thread does raise the awareness that there are plenty of people out there (not necessaily on the Ubeaut forums) that would do just that.

My first purchases of GMC were definitely done with the confidence that if I wasn't happy after 30 days I could take it back. Thinking back, I seem to recall that I did once- can't remember what it was, but it was a shocker, and I bought an alternate brand at the same time, so I certainly couldn't be accused of using the 30 day satisfaction guarantee for a free weekend rental.
    "Clear, Ease Springs"
    www.Stu's Shed.com

What a bluddy stupid question......
    Yeh and my teacher used to say there was nothing such as a stupid question.

I actually felt the question was valid, just because we all (on face value) seem to have the same values, doesn't necessarily mean we can't question our value systems - at the end of the day that's what makes us human.

If the question had been "Do you take claim extras on your Tax Return?" do you think it would still be stupid? Given that 'claiming extras' requires you to take the money off other people, force costs up and general add to the Cost of Living etc
    There was a young boy called Wyatt
    Who was awfully quiet
    And then one day
    He faded away
    Because he overused White

Floorsanding in Canberra and Albury.....

Quote Originally Posted by namtrak
    If the question had been "Do you take claim extras on your Tax Return?" do you think it would still be stupid? Given that 'claiming extras' requires you to take the money off other people, force costs up and general add to the Cost of Living etc
    My experience has been that not enough people claim their rightful entitlements and have paid too much instead of claiming extras.

Peter.

; and the biscuiter. both have been bought for commercial use and both were bought in the cynical expectation that they'd be rubbish and hence end up returned. Neither has.

I don't see why anyone would expect me to deny that the warranty was in my mind when I bought the things. If it wasn't there, I would have bought a 'quality' brand.
    Mate, if you send this to the GMC marketing people, they will probably send you a free tool.

What you've just written completely vindcates their marketing strategy.

Gotta admire them!
    Bodgy
    "Is it not enough simply to be able to appreciate the beauty of the garden without it being necessary to believe that there are faeries at the bottom of it? " Douglas Adams

If it's crap, yes. I assume you're referring to a comment of mine and as I said, the product was good, so no need to return it.

Personally, I reckon the 30 day return warranty is a good statement of confidence in one's product and it occasionally prompts a sale. Nothing wrong with that.
    Exador, I was referring to your post:

'I needed a biscuit joiner on the weekend and Carbatech aren't open on a Sunday, so down to Bunnings I go and come home with a shiny new GMC 1200W model, thinking "I'll take it back next week, tell them I'm not happy and trundle down to Carbatech". Problem is - it's too bloody good to do that so, sorry Carbatech.'

By the way it is written it is very clear you never intended to keep it, and only when you found it useful did you decide to keep it, but there is no doubt this was to be used and returned - a free loan. If you meant that you would try it and return it if it was no good, you did not say it. If I am wrong then I apologise, but I am going by what you wrote.

What about if you buy a drill ie $69.00 hammer drill with a "home warranty" use the crap out of it at work then take it back causes it died. I think this just as bad.

I did return a tool once after i used it but it was a piece of crap and was not a cheapy either, plan to buy new one next time is required. (different brand)

Quote Originally Posted by Sturdee
    My experience has been that not enough people claim their rightful entitlements and have paid too much instead of claiming extras.

Peter.
    I reckon your probably right, but as an example I know someone who claimed a Toyota and a Corolla in the same tax year - not me, I should point out.

Who else hasn't exaggerated their tax claims - those log books just seem to fill themselves up beyond 5000km And continuing the theme, what is the difference between bodging a tax claim and returning a used item, after use? Just an hypothetical at this stage
    There was a young boy called Wyatt
    Who was awfully quiet
    And then one day
    He faded away
    Because he overused White

Floorsanding in Canberra and Albury.....

What a bluddy stupid question.

What answer were you expecting? Yeah, fine, stuff honesty!
    Get real mate.
    I guess I expected some discussion, which is happening, not someone to attack the fact the question was asked in the first place. I've seen in other forums people answer yes, and argue their case. You are the first I've seen that has nothing of value to add and have been purely negative.

BTW, one person in the poll has voted yes.

Quote Originally Posted by namtrak
    And continuing the theme, what is the difference between bodging a tax claim and returning a used item, after use? Just an hypothetical at this stage
    There's a world of difference.

Nobody compells you to buy the tool in the first place

Taxation is theft.
    Bodgy