Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Barry_White View Post
    I look after my glasses. They are always on my face or when I go to bed they are the last thing I take off and then they lay on the dressing table and they are the first thing I put on in the morning.
    My problem is that I only need glasses for reading or computer work (or close detailed work). So I put them on and take them off all the time, and whenever I put them down somewhere they are in danger of being bumped or sat on or whatever. Inevitably I damage them. I have one pair of titanium frames that were pretty expensive but lasted me a very long time and are still good except that I can't get one of the screws out. I've tried my local optometrist and they can't get it out either, to change the lenses. I will take it to the bloke near Mum and Dad's place next time I go up there and see if he can do it, because they are a great frame and with new lenses they'd probably last another 10 years.
    Bob C.

Never give up.

Obviously you need Reducteur

I've been wearing glasses since my teens. Just a couple of years now, really...

I too became fed up with the prices of glasses and how bloody fragile they are. I decided I wanted to go old school so I bought a pair of Ronsir Zyl glasses frames from the US (see here Optometrist Attic: Vintage Eyeglasses, Antique Eyeglass Frames). US$75 plus postage. I also bought the matching clip ons. Exact same item here (frames alone) is $400 AUD and would have to be ordered in from the US as they don't stock them!

These are still made the same way they were made in the 1950's. Rugged!

RayBan sell something similar in a sunglass frame that is nowhere near as nice (let alone as well made) for nearly $300. They are quite commonly seen.

Anyway, if these are not to your taste (though I get many favourable comments on them) there are many online retailers in the US that will ship here. The frames are the easy bit. I had my prescription filled here.

The downside is that your health insurance company will not reimburse you for the frame cost. However, I more than made up the loss and the biggest expense is the multi-focal lenses. You really need to spend the money there anyway as there is a huge quality difference between the cheaper and more expensive multi-focal lenses.

Thanks for the link to Optometrist Attic. I just bought a pair of frames and if they work out allright, I'll definitely order more. I've previously ordered frames from optical4less, also in the US.
    I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you just read is not what I meant.

Regards, Woodwould.