Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

no im not

Everyone has to start somewhere however I feel it is up to the employer to train their staff - not left to the customers.

Obviously it is not the kid's fault his employer doesn't train him but that doesn't mean customers should not be concerned. What if I wanted advice on a product that I had no knowledge and incorrect advice wasted my money or compromised my health?

It is too easy to knock any large organisation especially one who targets the budget tools and caters for a wide range of customers and employs a large number of staff.

I have visited probably more Bunnings stores than most people in every state and territory around Australia as part of my previous job. I found the majority of their staff pleasant to deal with even under sometimes difficult conditions.

I haven't been in any of their stores for a couple of years because they are a fair way from here and don't really sell much that I am likely to buy.
    - Wood Borer

Could all dislexics here please identify themselves, so we can safely separate them from the DHs? (or is this considered AH ?)

cant spell to save my self
    good thing i can carve

... I'll take that as a yes, then

look anybody that has read my post know I have a learning difficulty but there is a great button at the top of the screen that says ABC check I click on that and it makes my post able to be read

to nz carver if you use this all the time your spelling does get better ,

as for the bunnings thing there is a lot of good people that work there that know their stuff as for training they do on line training but your under the pump and who has the time

they squeeze every cent from the workers
    smile and the world will smile with you

i always say that the tradesman is in the store when im in there and leaves when i do (that means me being the tradesman)
    First On Race Day

And the first brock trophy goes to...............
    and we got no "2" as well
    A FORD driver.

ironic isnt it?

and if ya cant win on ya own merit punt em off!!!
    holden cheater team!!!!!

I can't and won't name anyone here, because I don't know anyone here....but from my experience......most "learning deficiencies" can be boiled down to a simple statement........"An overly abundant amount of lead in the butt!" lol....if anyone wants to learn to spell and not look like a dunce 'DO IT'! It's too easy to sit back and make everyone else try to figure out what the H you are talking about........anyone can learn if the really WANT to and have the gumption! again, only in my opinion, wouldn't want to start a fire here .

Please don't take this as adding fuel to the fire. My earlier smart-???? remark was intended only for levity.

I've found a few clerks eager for new knowledge, and have exercised a method similar to silentC's about grommets. One very dedicated clerk at Home Depot (similar to Bunnings) griped that management seems concerned only about profits, apparently unaware that profits derive from customer satisfaction. Andy Mac hit the nail on the head about proper training being management's responsibility.

Joe
    Of course truth is stranger than fiction.
    Fiction has to make sense. - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by hi ho sliver View Post
    I can't and won't name anyone here, because I don't know anyone here....but from my experience......most "learning deficiencies" can be boiled down to a simple statement........"An overly abundant amount of lead in the butt!" lol....if anyone wants to learn to spell and not look like a dunce 'DO IT'! It's too easy to sit back and make everyone else try to figure out what the H you are talking about........anyone can learn if the really WANT to and have the gumption! again, only in my opinion, wouldn't want to start a fire here .

This is why Teachers spend an extra few years at SCHOOL/Uni. Then spend additional time being taught how to teach on all those "Pupil Free Days"/ "Development Days" they get every year paid for by Taxpayers.

Not to mention the educational additional studies that they get paid for as part of their job claim tax benefits for. They do this to further their education and Pay Packets. So at what point do they feel they have knowledge enough to educate the youth of today for tomorrow's life when all they are being taught is yesterdays mistakes.

NZcarver you started this thread in scorn of a practice in business and a political system which these old pharts voted for, that allows the educational standards to have dropped in our schools.

Yet government pays these companies a sum of $$$ to train personel which never seems to happen the cash goes into pockets of CEO's and execs for a job well done.

Its been well and truly into a nit picking denigration by Spelling Natzi's who have nothing better to do with their time. Good job none of them ever tried to cypher or learn Hansard reporting or Shorthand.

Pity the old as they grow old for they forget the days of their youth and rebellion, the fights they had to create the world we have today where the young can stand up and be heard, speak out and be free.

Like a 24 year odl noticing that something is very wrong like you have done here and spoken out.

ALF little person im 6.0 this little thing was 4.9
    OK, two problems here. ALF is an acronym for Alien Life Form. There was a TV show back before you were born called ALF and it was about this hairy muppet-like guy who came from outer space. There are also various other organisations that use A.L.F. according to Wikipedia. It does not mean short person.

You might have meant 'elf', which is a creature from mythology. They also feature in the Lord of the Rings. They generally aren't short either. In the original myth, they are actually quite tall and slim.

So neither of these words really fit your description of a 'short person'. You could have used midget or dwarf - although apparently there's nothing that says mythological dwarves were short either (I didn't know that until I read about it in Wikipedia). Apparently people who suffer from dwarfism prefer the term 'little person' so you could have used that. If the person was really 4'9" then they would be classified as a dwarf (or little person) but I suspect that was an exaggeration.

See how important using the right words are to getting your point across?

However, you're obviously not a professional writer or a teacher, so it's not really expected that you know any of this stuff. I'm aware that schools tend to focus on 'life skills' now instead of literacy, although that might be changing. I can see the point of view that a person working in Bunnings should know what a jigsaw is - at least if they are working in the power tool section but I don't suppose it's in Bunnings' business plan to send every new kid on a comprehensive "know that tool" course. They would do basic induction training and then learn on the job I guess. It's not really the ALF's fault.
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

Default i just turned 14

hi you know not all young people are dum ????'s last year i just turned 14 and i went to the working with wood show and built a red cedar hall table for my mum i have learnt alot off my dad and thats only a small amout, this year at the working with wood show i went and bought 800 worth of burls and redgum coffee tables for me not my dad me and thats because i love timber what you can make out off it? i am curretly spending another $3100 on myself to buy more timber and mae more furniture.

Quote Originally Posted by silentC View Post
    You might have meant 'elf', which is a creature from mythology. They also feature in the Lord of the Rings. They generally aren't short either. In the original myth, they are actually quite tall and slim.

So neither of these words really fit your description of a 'short person'.
    Mebbe 'e meant 'alf an elf, eh?
    I may be weird, but I'm saving up to become eccentric.

- Andy Mc

Quote Originally Posted by hi ho sliver View Post
    Duh....isn't that what school is for?
    I've come into this thread pretty late in the piece and this may have already been covered, but are you saying the the minute you leave school you STOP learning. You obviously learnt everything you'll ever need to know in 12 years.
    To grow old is inevitable.... To grow up is optional

Confidence, the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.

What could possibly go wrong.

THERE IS NO HOPE FOR THE YOUNG PEOPLE

I bet that stament is muttered every day by lots of older people.

But those young people will eventually run the country, not in the same way as what you are doing but very similar.

They will learn from their mistakes maybe not the first time but hopefully by the second time.

They will also learn from you every day they may not notice it at first but the next time somebody comes with a similar question they will know the answer, unknowingly they have learned this from you their life teacher.

Teach as you have been taught by freeling giving advice when asked dont be a stick in the mud or spelling nazi life is too short. If you dont know the answer admit it and find someone who does. You get more respect this way.
    Jim Carroll
    One Good Turn Deserves Another. CWS, Vicmarc, Robert Sorby, Woodcut, Tormek, Woodfast
    Are you a registered member? Why not? click here to register. It's free and only takes 37 seconds!