Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I know that country people are painted as racist, maybe they are now?
    Not true. We hate everybody equally.

My wifes maternal Grandparents came out from Italy with a young family in the 50's. By the 70's I believe they had come to think that Aussies had let there values slip a bit. It came as a shock when they went back to the "old country" for a visit to find that their values had slipped as well and the youth where pretty much the same as here. John Howard can jam his Aussie values we can all probably name a few Aussies and Imigrants whose values suck, and also name a few out of both pools whose values we can admire. I don't think that changes much any where else either, human values seem to be pretty standard.

Nostalgia is seen through a pretty hazy rose coloured glass, I don't care for some of the bigotry I remember in the 60's and care even less for self serving policians playing the race card for their own ends today.

John.

It came as a shock when they went back to the "old country" for a visit to find that their values had slipped as well
    Ah yes, the Rip van Winkle effect

I moved to Australia because of the weather, lifestyle and the upfront nature of the Australians I met when I travelled here.

My children have a foreign parent, me, but I want them to be Australian in mindset and attitude but ultimately, if we do our job well, the biggest influence on their values will be me and the wife, not suggesting we'll create clones because if they're anything like us they'll have their own minds, views and develop values of their own based on their experiences and environment.

Quote Originally Posted by silentC View Post
    Well, it's a good question. If you spent the 90's in Sydney working in the IT industry, then these are the values you would have attributed to most people:

1. Earn as much money as you can, it's the only thing that matters
    2. Hock yourself up to the eyeballs to get a nice house in a 'nice' suburb
    3. Buy a flash car
    4. Have extra-marital sex at least once
    5. Get to the top at the expense of as many others as you can
    6. Screw loyalty and consideration for others

Fortunately, whilst I believe that a great majority of people in this country hold those views, there are still a lot of people around who haven't followed the rest of the place into the "me me me" mentality.
    I was all of these things at work except number 4 in the 80's and 90's and whilst my priorities have changed dramatically since my children came along I don't feel I need to apologise for that time I enjoyed it and wouldn't change it if I could.

Also if I'm really honest my mentality has expanded to "me and my family" rather than "me me me" and whilst I treat people as I'd like to be treated my priorities are firmly based close to home, call me selfish if you like.

HH.
    Always look on the bright side...

Quote Originally Posted by Clinton1 View Post
    I agree with a lot of things you said BM, however having been brought up in the country and outback I wouldn't agree with the view about the intolerance toward the immigrant, new australian or that only western Europeans were welcomed. My upbringing shows the exact opposite.
    I too was brought up as far away from the Capital as it is possible to get, in a location where there was a strong(ish) Asian community.

OK, there was one family, but they were our friends and when I was five there seemed to be millions of them.

Read a little of the white Australia policy and tell me that non-Europeans were welcomed! They were the yellow peril, and I still know people (probably some on this board) who keep guns to protect themselves when they inevitably invade.

No... fear of Asians is a healthy part of our history! As was fear of wog food for that matter.

Strangely enough, from some accounts I've read, the treatment of refugees now is substantially better than it was post WW2.

All of the above are personal observations from my 1.5 eyes.

Cheers,

P

I was all of these things at work except number 4 in the 80's and 90's and whilst my priorities have changed dramatically since my children came along I don't feel I need to apologise for that time I enjoyed it and wouldn't change it if I could.
    I thought that was what I wanted to be. It was expected, almost thrust upon you. I always thought I wasn't trying hard enough because I wasn't as happy or successful as everyone else seemed to be. Everywhere I looked, my work mates were driving BMWs and buying houses on the north shore or the eastern suburbs. Then one day I realised they weren't happy either, it was all a facade. Things don't make you happy, all they do is give you more to worry about. I didn't want it enough and I couldn't fake it, so I opted out.

I thought that was what I wanted to be. It was expected, almost thrust upon you. I always thought I wasn't trying hard enough because I wasn't as happy or successful as everyone else seemed to be. Everywhere I looked, my work mates were driving BMWs and buying houses on the north shore or the eastern suburbs. Then one day I realised they weren't happy either, it was all a facade. Things don't make you happy, all they do is give you more to worry about. I didn't want it enough and I couldn't fake it, so I opted out.
    That's exactly what I did after my kids came along and I've gotta say it's been one of the most positive decisions I've ever made.

I can't say that having "stuff" doesn't bring me pleasure it does I just have to wait a little longer than before. Now I'm out of the have to have everything yesterday culture I'm finding that waiting isn't as big an issue as I thought it might be. I'm quite happy to bimble on and take things as they come. I now have a little stash that I accumulate over time rather than salivating over what to spend my bonus on each year and I'm fine with that.

I would have found it much more difficult to turn this corner if I hadn't removed myself from an environment that promoted impatience and greed I love living out of the city and will never go back. If anything I might move further out.

HH.

I can't say that having "stuff" doesn't bring me pleasure it does I just have to wait a little longer
    Yes, important stuff, like nice tools and lots of wood

I just think back to the guys with the flash cars - they were always worried about where to park them, people backing into them, keying the doors etc. My old ####box Magna (which I had at the time) I could park anywhere and not worry about it.

Yes, important stuff, like nice tools and lots of wood

I just think back to the guys with the flash cars - they were always worried about where to park them, people backing into them, keying the doors etc. My old ####box Magna (which I had at the time) I could park anywhere and not worry about it.
    I know exactly what you're saying. When I was single I had a brand new Merc and often met friends for drinks in dubious locations and worried constantly that someone would scratch it, ding it or steal it. Now I have my truck that's everyone elses problem. Plus parking up here is a doddle compared to Sydney.

HH.

Best thing about driving a well loved car is that it's fun to see others trying to get away from you

I'll have to post a pic of my current limo one day. It's a lime green Mazda Capella. 1974. The wife drives the Falcon wagon mostly because she needs room for kids and golf sticks. I probably drive once a week if that. I ride the pushy to work now - 10 minutes each way. City life? Ha!!

BM,
    I'm very aware of the White Australia policy.... however my experience was/is that it was not something that country and outback people had a lot of time for.
    Thats where I am from.

It was a populist political platform that was supported by a lot of (or most of the city) people, however in the country it was seen as not making a lot of sense. A fair bit of xenophobia, yes, but take a look at the reality of life in the outback, west of the great dividing range and in the NT and NW WA.
    As I said, "I think it is a convenient untruth spouted by ... tossers... early Australians were racist, but not so in the country".
    Cheers,
    Clinton

"Use your third eye" - Watson

http://www.flickr.com/photos/clinton_findlay/

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

I still have memories of Enoch Powells catchcry 'if you want a nigger for a neighbour, vote labour'.
    But of course that was not Australia, he was making reference to the West Indians in the UK.
    Does it make any difference?
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.

it was not something that country and outback people had a lot of time for
    This may depend on where you come from. My parents are both country people born and bred - south eastern Victoria. I can garauntee you that if Pauline Hansen had been running for PM they would have voted for her. They would have been very happy if Australia had retained that policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Clinton1 View Post
    As I said, "I think it is a convenient untruth spouted by ... tossers... early Australians were racist, but not so in the country".
    You've got a point, in the bush they poisoned the Aboriginals for reasons other than racism, and always gave them the same opportunity as the white fellas. :eek:

My experience (and I've had a bit in the country too) is that where there was no ethnic minority, there wasn't a problem, but ask my wog mate Sam how life was growing up in the 50's in Ingham (for an ethnic majority), or perhaps someone from Mildura or the Barossa would like to ruminate on life for immigrants after the war? He'd say not too bad, because his family were "new Australians".

My Dutch fencer in the 70's on the other hand had a less than perfect life in terms of his welcome (as a refugee in the early 50's)..he was working as a rabbit trapper and a fencer and I don't believe he trapped many rabbits in the city!

Cheers,

P