Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Talking security alarms

Quite honestly, dont waste your money.
    The alarms go off so regularly in our street nobody takes notice anymore

The last time an alarm sent off I telephoned the local police station and they asked me to take a look and let them know if there were any prowlers.

In fact last month somebody telephoned there local police station at midday to complain about a prowler and when the police turned up 5 hours later they found the couple DEAD from gunshot wounds.

Get the wife to stay at home and not go out to work , I 'm sure the lady would see them off the premises
    woody U.K.

"Common looking people are the best in the world: that is the reason the Lord makes so many of them." ~ Abraham Lincoln

Peter,

Consider yourself shook.

Jow,

Obviously the police in Pommyland either have no sense of priority OR they are that busy and understaffed that they can't get anywhere quicker than that.

Have seen that here but not to the point where hot jobs take hours to get to.

Dan
    Is there anything easier done than said?
    - Stacky. The bottom pub, Cobram.

Dan, Got some stuff and following your advice. Local boys-in-blue dropped past yesterday with some hopeful news. Turns out that DNA is unique to an individual. Now isn't that interesting.

Cheers
    Squizzy

"It is better to be ignorant and ask a stupid question than to be plain Stupid and not ask at all" {screamed by maths teacher in Year 8}

Squizz,

DNA is as unique as a fingerprint and it is a lot easier to get a DNA sample than a usable fingerprint. Being that your crook cut himself, they will have a DNA profile on the crook. If they have all ready taken a sample from the crook at some stage, they will get a match and he can be convicted on that evidence alone. Hopefully your crook has been bad in the past and they have a previous sample on the database.

If you set your own alarm up, might I suggest that you position your sensors in such position that they face likely points of entry (windows and doors) but put them in such a position that is away from any windows or doors. They are vulnerable from underneath - If the crook can get under them he can cover them without setting them off. So don't put them above windows or doors either (If you can help it).

Dan
    Is there anything easier done than said?
    - Stacky. The bottom pub, Cobram.

Dan, we don't know if the scumbag is in the database but we do know that it was the same scumbag that left blood at another robbery, the proceeds of which have been turning up providing a lead. Hopefully the coppers will get him before my neighbour does.

I was just talking to one of the security mobs and he said the same thing about the location of the sensors.

Cheers, thanks for the independent advice.
    Squizzy

"It is better to be ignorant and ask a stupid question than to be plain Stupid and not ask at all" {screamed by maths teacher in Year 8}

1. Get a dog or two.

2. We live in one of the dodgier neighbourhoods in the area, and the first thing I did was introduce myself to everyone within about a 4 house radius. We have been able to scope for safe houses for the kids, and we always let a couple of the neighbours know when we are heading off for a day or two.

3. The outside of our house (and we have friends who subscribe to this theory as well) is relatively grotty - needs a new coat of paint. No need to advertise that we are doing okay on the inside, just yet.

4. The only visible 'valuable' is the TV and DVD player, everything else is stashed in little hidey holes (Wireless network, music system and so on)

5. Our house is in a permanent state of dissarray, any potential thief would have to clean up first before they could find stuff to knock off.
    There was a young boy called Wyatt
    Who was awfully quiet
    And then one day
    He faded away
    Because he overused White

Floorsanding in Canberra and Albury.....

Quote Originally Posted by namtrak
    1. Get a dog or two.
    I no longer have a dog, he was a good mate but he did cause a bit of trouble, enough that I was forced to send him into exile out on a cattle property. That's him in my avatar, he was a great watchdog and even a few years after he was gone people would stop at my closed gate and yell out for me to chain him up before they were game to enter! Of course, I never let on he was gone

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

To Mick
    Are you sure that it was the dog they were worrying over?
    woody U.K.

"Common looking people are the best in the world: that is the reason the Lord makes so many of them." ~ Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by journeyman Mick
    ...... he was a good mate ......Mick
    They all are! Ours is a bluey as well, he's been in more strife than a bum on Oxford St.
    There was a young boy called Wyatt
    Who was awfully quiet
    And then one day
    He faded away
    Because he overused White

Floorsanding in Canberra and Albury.....

I know it is a bit expensive in the first place, but consider 6.5mm laminated glass in the windows. As well as almost stopping smash and grab, it cuts down heat exchange (especially if tinted), cuts down noise, and stops those tree branches coming through the window in those big storms some of us get. Possibly works out cheaper than security screens and much better to look through. Also easier to clean than windows covered with security screens.
    Replace your current glass a few windows at a time , ie when one breaks, or windows in hidden or other vunerable spots first.
    Also safer in case of fire as you can easily open from inside whereas most window security screens cannot be opened at all (don't keep windows locked when at home - window locks are usually only to stop people who get in through a roof, etc, from getting out carrying your TV).
    Regards
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by jow104
    To Mick
    Are you sure that it was the dog they were worrying over?
    Now that's not fair! :mad: I haven't bitten anyone in ages (besides the postman the other day when he was late! :eek: )

Mick- Grrrrr
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

Default Dogs

Quote Originally Posted by namtrak
    1. Get a dog or two.

2. We live in one of the dodgier neighbourhoods in the area, and the first thing I did was introduce myself to everyone within about a 4 house radius. We have been able to scope for safe houses for the kids, and we always let a couple of the neighbours know when we are heading off for a day or two.

3. The outside of our house (and we have friends who subscribe to this theory as well) is relatively grotty - needs a new coat of paint. No need to advertise that we are doing okay on the inside, just yet.

4. The only visible 'valuable' is the TV and DVD player, everything else is stashed in little hidey holes (Wireless network, music system and so on)

5. Our house is in a permanent state of dissarray, any potential thief would have to clean up first before they could find stuff to knock off.
    There are dogs and there are dogs. Knew a bloke that bought himself a staffy pup, wouldn't let the kids play with him (he thought) because he wanted to make the dog a bit savage to deter intruders. As it turned out his place got entered and the staffy was so friendly they took the dog as well.
    Three weeks later I was in a defferent suburb, but one not more than two mile away and saw some kids playing with the staffy. I asked them who owned it and they pointed to a house across the road. Told my mate who 'visited' the bloke, got his dog back, got some of his stuff back, and got a great deal of satisfaction, I am told. Talk about a dedicated guard dog - stayed with the bloke until his rightful master turned up.

Fair dinkum!!
    Peter R.

Knew someone who said they bit themselves on the ear. I said you couldn't reach it. Was told that they stood on a chair...Of course!!

Default Not so Smart Scumbags

The neighbours got a call today. Two Scumbags picked up in next suburb and a DNA match. Don't ya just love modern technology. Hope they get a decent stretch and the judge doesn't go all soft on them.

Cheers
    Squizzy

problem is prisons are so full they have to release them early or not even put them in.
    woody U.K.

Quote Originally Posted by vsquizz
    The neighbours got a call today. Two Scumbags picked up in next suburb and a DNA match. Don't ya just love modern technology. Hope they get a decent stretch and the judge doesn't go all soft on them.

Cheers
    Score 1 for the good guys.
    Visit my website
    Website
    Facebook