Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I'm of the same opinion as madrat and chromis, i'm of no help but i would question is as well. Looks odd to me - though i don't understand why or what i'm looking at!

Thats the dodgiest thing Ive seen for a long time, surely some arrangement to actually tie the steel to the buildings top plate is needed, and something better than bricks to sit it on, say more steel designed to fit at least.

Quote Originally Posted by chromis View Post
    And you actually let him say that without a slap I must be a less saintly female then you madrat.
    Hee hee.

If I slapped him, he only would have taken it as some form of foreplay
    He's a little warped that man of mine....

But things like this to learn, someday I want to be in a position where I know more than him...(I can only but try)

Default stick roof?

never heard of a stick roof, you must mean conventional roof LOL, I could have sworn I seen a timber member in the photo horozontally coming from the rafters.

Anyway its a bit weird to use a steel support for this (obviously dependent on the span/load width, given 4 bricks being used for packers. There must be a ceiling constraint to use what looks like a ~180 welded beam.

My house is a conventional roof and they are obviously quite different to design and more work for the builder to calculate spans and section sizes. Physics/statics is quite a fascinating subject.

Still dodgy tie down which ever way you look at it.

I am more worried as everywhere in Perth is built on sand, hence more chance of shifting foundations

Quote Originally Posted by barney118 View Post

I am more worried as everywhere in Perth is built on sand, hence more chance of shifting foundations
    Not so, clay is a lot more reactive than sand, sand is very stable.

Thats why Perth has a almost entirely double brick construction because the foundations are more stable than clay soils.
    Brickwork is cheaper than other methods of construction.
    Less concrete and structural modification is needed for the footings. The sand provides extensive fast drainage.
    A compaction certificate is required prior to commencement of construction.

never heard of a stick roof, you must mean conventional roof LOL, I could have sworn I seen a timber member in the photo horizontally coming from the rafters.
    That would be the collar tie.

There should be 1200 centres hoop iron all around the cavity nailed over the rafters.

The UB has hangers checked in, struts to the side and a toms with the weight of the roof on top with the whole roof strapped down.

Is the 300 kilogram UB steel going to blow away in the wind?
    c2=a2+b2;
    When buildings made with lime are subjected to small movements thay are more likely to develop many fine cracks than the individual large cracks which occur in stiffer cement-bound buildings. Water penetration can dissolve the 'free' lime and transport it. As the water evaporates, this lime is deposited and begins to heal the cracks. This process is called autogenous healing.

Default Not my area

This is out of my area altogether, to far over my Head, so to Speak

Have you spoken to your local Building inspector for some sort of Conformation.

I'd stay on his good side
    AND
    your builder as well
    How?????

I do not know

Good lick and Welcome
    Navvi

Quote Originally Posted by thebuildingsurv View Post
    They need to bring in mandatory building inspections in perth. .
    Are there no compulsory inspections at all in Perth?

I have never seen or installed steel in this fashion. Ideally there should be a column all the way down to its own footing. This provides proper support,fixing and tie down.

Was the UB designed by an engineer? If so there should have been some end support details for the beam.

Tools

Quote Originally Posted by autogenous View Post

Could do, we dont get anywhere the wind that other parts of the country gets, but 300kgs is nothing in a strong wind.

Its called tie down... couple of hundred pages of Australian standards on the subject.

I'd be worried with that construction.. surely structural elements need at least "nominal fixings" if the uplift loads are sufficiently small (eg N1/N2).

Pulse

AS 1684 for a strutting beam...

specific fixing for tie down for a steel roof N1/N2. Tile roofs OK to use nominal fixings

Quote Originally Posted by autogenous View Post
    .............Is the 300 kilogram UB steel going to blow away in the wind?
    Could do easily in a tropical cyclone. I don't think I could leave a beam like that, even if there wasn't a structural requirement for at least nominal fixing. I'd be worried about getting sued down the track if someone performing work in the ceiling brought it crashing down. There's this thing called duty of care.

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

Are there no compulsory inspections at all in Perth?
    Baaahaawaa haaa Ive seen 2 BRB inspectors in 25 years.

Footing inspections are phoned in 24 hours prior. In the current market its rare for them to turn up.

There is tie down straps at 1200 centres in all cavity walls over the rafters.

There is hundreds o housands of UBs done like this. They aren't falling through ceilings.
    If there was one I would say they'd be onto it quick smart.

AS 1684 for a strutting beam...

specific fixing for tie down for a steel roof N1/N2. Tile roofs OK to use nominal fixings
    Pfft! Never seen one fo them in 25 years

The Wild West operates different to the East Were all cowboys over here!
    c2=a2+b2;
    When buildings made with lime are subjected to small movements thay are more likely to develop many fine cracks than the individual large cracks which occur in stiffer cement-bound buildings. Water penetration can dissolve the 'free' lime and transport it. As the water evaporates, this lime is deposited and begins to heal the cracks. This process is called autogenous healing.

Someone mentioned there was likely a bulkhead in the area and that is correct, it essentially runs parallel with the steel beam. I've attached various photos which some of you may be able to make sense of...

Autogenous; the building inspector I had out, and who did not have an issue with this stack of bricks either, was much more concerned with ensuring the roof was tied down properly. As you say, it should be securely fixed with hoop iron straps around the external walls however the inspector told me the straps were not fixed to the rafters properly and it looked like no attempt had been made to tension them. He said it was one of the worst jobs he had seen in a while.

The inspector also picked up on a number of other installation problems with the roof so you can perhaps understand why I have some concerns over the quality and professionalism of the work in general...

BTW, I asked my builder for the engineering drawings and all I got was a drawing for the slab and footings, nothing for the roof. Should there be drawings for the roof structure or is it just worked out onsite?

Also, anybody know what authority is responsible for this sort of thing and I can get definitive information from (in WA)?

Should there be drawings for the roof structure or is it just worked out onsite?
    Yeah the chippie will have a roof lay out sheet. There is a lot of steels and LVLs in that job. There will be no engineers detail for the roof. The UBs were delivered as they were. That would be on the order sheet.

No walls in the living areas by the looks. Open living?

Theres plenty of hangers checked in and a T joined UB there.

Ok, the inspectors are paranoid about straps. Its an easy pick. Older houses have lost sheets and tiles.
    Anything that results in insurance claims has a crack down.

You are more than 3 kilometres from the coast I see. With all those tech screws in the sheets Itll be one mighty mother ship leaving the plate with LVLs and the windows will blow out, the ceiling collapse prior to lift off of the whole roof minus the UBs "if" it manages that.

If he cleared the roof but only picked the straps thats a good thing. Anything else he picked?
    c2=a2+b2;