Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

It just vibrates, thats why they take so long to answer and sound relaxed when they do?

Quote Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
    If it's a silent number, how do you know when somebody is calling ? Surely you don't sit there watching for a flashing light to go off or something ? :confused:

It's always intrigued me so I have to ask.
    Good question.

It was originally a problem :confused: so I got them to wire the phone in to the electrical supply next door. Now when someone calls, next door's lights, television, burglar alarm, washing machine, etc, all turn on and off until the bloke next door attracts my attention to let me know that someone's trying to ring me. Quite effective really.
    Driver of the Forums
    Lord of the Manor of Upper Legover

Gumby, what I am saying is that if my DOB is enough for them to be satisfied that they are talking to me, it is all that a crook needs to masquerade as me. Here's a scenario:

Brad rings, I give him my DOB, he writes it down. He got my name out of the phone book, so he now has my name, address and DOB. He rings NAB (now that he knows I have an account there) and asks to change his (my) address. He gives them my name, my old address and his new one. They ask for my DOB and he gives it to them. Presumably they are satisfied with that, so they change my address to his and now he gets my statements. See?
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

Yeap, could be a scammer.

I had a call from a Gubment Dept who stores all sorts of info about Australians.
    It came up as PRIVATE on the caller ID.
    The caller would only give me her first name but wanted me to identify myself.
    I told her that I wasn't going to give out that info if I didn't know who I was talking to.
    She said her first name & the name of the Gubment Dept again to which I replied "How do I know that for sure?"
    She got her supervisor.
    I explained that since I had not made the phone call, I had absolutely no way of knowing who was on the other end of the phone asking me to give out private info so I wasn't going to.
    She actually said that she was the supervisor & that she could personally vouch for the caller. :eek:
    To which I said "How do I know who you are?"
    She said "Because I'm telling you"
    So I said "Well I'm Cliff Rogers, because I'm telling you"
    She said "Under the privacy blah blah blah blah blah"
    I said "Unless you can prove who you are, I'm not giving you anything"
    She gave me a direct telephone number to call back on & told me the name of the first caller to ask for.
    I said "Yeah sure, what does that prove, we hang up, I call back, you answer the phone & we go throught the same silly conversation at my expense. You'll have to think of something better than that."

Then I said, "How about I look up your Gubment Dept in the phone book & ring the 13xxxx number & ask for you?"
    She said "That may not work 'cos the 13xxxx number could go anywhere in Oz."
    I said "If you give me some more details about where in Oz you are, I'll ask whoever takes the call to put me through"
    She agrees, I wait 10 minutes & ring the 13xxxx number, when they find where she is in Oz, she is on another call so somebody else asks if they can help.
    I tell them the story, they check my ID, pull up the file & tell me what it was all about.
    I said, no problems, put it in writting & post it out to me.
    "OK" says them, call ends.
    20 mins later, original caller is back on the phone....
    "Mr.Rogers, you didn't call me back like you said you would."
    "Oh, but I did" Says I, "You were on the telephone so I spoke to another person about it"
    "Well, you need to speak to me about it because I am managing this." She says "But first, I have to check your ID.
    Roars of laughter.
    "OK" she says, "call me back, I won't take any other calls, I'll be waiting."
    I wait 15 mins & call back. (now having a ball with this)
    I get through to her this time.
    "OK Mr. Rogers, just for blah blah blah, I need to ask you your DOB?"
    "Yeap, no problems" says I & give it to her.
    "Now," she says, & rattles off her big speal.
    "Have you got my file open?" I asked.
    "Yes"
    "What does the last entry say?"
    "I'm not at libity to tell you that" She says.
    "Well just read it so you know 'cos I know what it says" Says I.
    "Yes"
    "Well" says I, "Do you see what the arrangement was that I made with the other person I spoke to?"
    "Yes" she says.
    "Good." Says I, "In future you will save a heap of time & money if you just put it in writing. Don't bother calling back 'cos I'll just waste some more of your time. Goodbye"

I got the letter, wrote them a reply & they haven't called me since.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

Silent, presuming that you did not answer the phone with your mouth full, then Brad should have realised that he was speaking to a person of the masculine gender. So why didn't he ask if you were Darren instead of asking if Leanne was there? Easier to hassle a lady than a gent?

I have a hearing difficulty with higher pitched female voices (for real not just selective hearing) and it is particularly so with female Asian voices. So aren't I lucky that I'm not a customer of the Westpac Bank?
    John H
    Why do I never seem to cut "too long"?

We get a lot of spam calls and I answer as follows:

Caller : Can I speak to Mr Sturdee.

Me: Depends if you are on the list of approved callers, can I have your name and where you are from?

Caller : I'm not trying to sell anything but it is urgent that I speak to Mr. Sturdee.

Me: I'm sorry but "not trying to sell anything" is not on my list of approved callers so Mr. Sturdee will not talk to you. Goodbye.

Seems to work as they don't call back.

Peter.

I love that logic cliff

Morons are fun to play with. One week after a loooong nigtshift we were having the usual nightshift drinks when a nightshift patrol turned up to say hello.

A particularly nasty and aggro radio operator (secure network) was giving the patrols a hard time so one of the off duty blokes grabbed the radio and said to the operator;

##### is the 'F' word

Bloke: "Give em a break will you stupid."

Operator: "Last member repeat"

Bloke: "I said, give em a break stupid."

Operator: "Last member identify themself"

Bloke: "Do you know who i am?"

Operator: " No"

Bloke: " Well you can get #####"

Operator: " Last member identify himself immediately"

Bloke: "Do you know who I am"

Operator: "No"

Bloke: "Well get ##### then."

Radio Sgt: " That last member will identify themself"

Bloke " Do you know who I am"

Radio Sgt: "No"

Bloke: "Well you can get ##### too"

Radio Sgt: "You will identify yourself immediately" (:mad: voice)

Bloke: "Why"

Radio Sgt: "Because I will have you charged, now identify yourself"

Bloke: "Do you know who I am"

Radio Sgt: "No"

Bloke: "Then go and get #####"

Supervising Superintendant: "This is alpha seven, I order that member to identify himself"

Bloke: " Do you know who I am"

Supt: "No"

Bloke: "well go and get truly ####"

Ahhhhh Morons......good entertainment, specially with a melbourne bitter in the hand

I just ignore any caller ID that is Private or Out of Area.

Out of Area usually means an overseas call centre and if I'm feeling "playfull" I answer the call then hang up before the auto call generator can switch the call to an operator. Let's them pay for an unsuccessfull call.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Groggy View Post
    yep, that brief warm feeling you get from having a win actually originates from the testes; as hot bankers hands are positioned ready to squeeze...
    LOL Groggy couldn't let that go without a comment!

If I conclude that a caller is a telemarketer, I put the phone down without engaging them in conversation.

Rocker

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzer View Post
    I too had a similar conversation, but with someone claiming to be from Telstra, asking me for personal info. But I did not give it too them and hung up on them.

This call was strange considering I am with Optus.

Cheers.
    That's a bit odd as even if Telstra Wholesale had sold one or more services to Optus for re-sale (as happens quite a fair bit), Telstra Retail aren't permitted any access to that information (other than that a service, cable-pair, etc) have been sold and are in use (no end user details whatever).

About 15 years ago, some low-life stole my wallet whilst I was in the bank. I spent the rest of the day cancelling everything and getting replacements. When I went to renew my driver's license I fronted up with absolutely no ID at all, no cards, nothing. Gave them my name and address and all the license classes I held and they took my photo and issued me with a new one, it was suprisingly easy. So I asked them what was to stop the person who stole my license from claiming to be me and needing a new license. They could give all my details and even use some of my other (non-photo) cards to back up their claim to be me.They would then get a new license in my name but with their picture on it.
    Them: "Oh no sir, it's never happened"
    Me: "How would you know?"
    Them: (with puzzled look on face) "Oh I'm sure it's never happened, we've never heard of it happening"
    Me: "Proves my point doesn't it, they must have gotten away with it"
    Them::confused: :confused:

Mick (pretty sure now that it didn't happen, but you never know, do you? )
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

Quote Originally Posted by clubbyr8 View Post
    I just ignore any caller ID that is Private or Out of Area.

Out of Area usually means an overseas call centre and if I'm feeling "playfull" I answer the call then hang up before the auto call generator can switch the call to an operator. Let's them pay for an unsuccessfull call.

Bob
    So do I now. If it's private, I don't answer. Overseas calls come in on the display as 'overseas' so they get answered and immediately hung up on. Just to cost them the call.
    If at first you don't succeed, give something else a go. Life is far too short to waste time trying.

Quote Originally Posted by journeyman Mick View Post
    About 15 years ago, some low-life stole my wallet whilst I was in the bank. I spent the rest of the day cancelling everything and getting replacements. When I went to renew my driver's license I fronted up with absolutely no ID at all, no cards, nothing. Gave them my name and address and all the license classes I held and they took my photo and issued me with a new one, it was suprisingly easy. So I asked them what was to stop the person who stole my license from claiming to be me and needing a new license. They could give all my details and even use some of my other (non-photo) cards to back up their claim to be me.They would then get a new license in my name but with their picture on it.
    Them: "Oh no sir, it's never happened"
    Me: "How would you know?"
    Them: (with puzzled look on face) "Oh I'm sure it's never happened, we've never heard of it happening"
    Me: "Proves my point doesn't it, they must have gotten away with it"
    Them::confused: :confused:

Mick (pretty sure now that it didn't happen, but you never know, do you? )

Sooooo........... Mick!!

Or is it JOE!!!.
    Ya covers blown buddy, time to fess up.

Al :mad:

I like to play with these callers, too. If they are silly enough to start by asking "How are you today", I launch into a long sad story of woe and strife that would bring tears to your eyes. Once, a young caller asked me "Is all that true?".

An Indian call centre person once claimed to be Optus, so I said they couldnt be Optus as Optus wouldnt call from India when they were just down the road. They gave up.

Most local pests hang up quick when I interrupt them and ask "Have you accepted Jesus as your personal saviour today?"

I look forward to these calls.

Barrie
    This bit should be completely ignored, although I know that despite this warning, you will read it through to the very end.