View Poll Results: How do you sharpen your tools?

Voters
136. You may not vote on this poll
  • Oilstones

30 22.06%
  • Waterstones

36 26.47%
  • Diamond Stones/Plates

13 9.56%
  • Scary Sharp

20 14.71%
  • Tormek or similar

21 15.44%
  • Other - Please give details

16 11.76%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Cliff Rogers gave me his tip for keeping the chisel primed for paint tin opening: just poke the sharp end in any cat you may have lying around.
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

After getting together with Ozwinner I think I’ve caught a bit of hand tool phobia as I found myself refining the scary sharp method to be a bit faster and somewhat scarier.

I’ve taken my 115mm angle grinder, attached a rubber backed sanding disk attachment with some wet and dry. I have to admit my first attempt was pretty average but I’ve since found out like all good things in life it’s all in the angle of the tool and the action of the wrist.

Eastie

( Do not try this at home people, even I am not that stupid ! )

Did you try plugging it in?
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

They say you can judge someone’s mental ability by the sharpness of their chisels. Try the test with your dull chisels.

- Wood Borer

All jokes aside, the sad truth is that I only have a set of those amber-handled things. I'm saving up my brownie points for a box set of Two-Cherries'.

BTW, I went for waterstones in the end...

Thumbs up

Eastie, if you want to have a go at using waterstones for sharpening, drop me a PM.

- Wood Borer

Quote Originally Posted by silentC
    BTW, I went for waterstones in the end...
    I see you took Cliff's advice and applied it to yourself.

Sorry Silent I had to respond to that one before you edited the message.

- Wood Borer

... and now my bottom is a smooth as a baby's, well, bum

Smile

WB - I've actually got some Norton combination water stones and a couple of diamond plates for proper sharpening. I find the lower grade nortons cut extremely well, but with the 8000 it takes ages to a half decent polish - not a good polish but a half decent one. From time to time I'll use diamond paste to finish, but it takes sooooo long. I've thought about getting some veritas honing compound to finish off to see if I can get a bit better result. I mainly use the diamond stones for flattening things up, taking nicks out of blades and for the kitchen knives.

Eastie

PS - Silent, next time I'm at wonboyn I'll let you know - I'll drag the stones / veritas jig along for you to try if you want. Probably wont be till Oct/Nov.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Eastie
    I find the lower grade nortons cut extremely well, but with the 8000 it takes ages to a half decent polish - not a good polish but a half decent one. From time to time I'll use diamond paste to finish, but it takes sooooo long. I've thought about getting some veritas honing compound to finish off to see if I can get a bit better result.
    Mark
    Eastie,

Don't just think about getting the Veritas honing compound. GET IT. You will get a mirror finish in a couple of minutes with it.

Rocker

next time I'm at wonboyn I'll let you know
    Yes, do that. It's about an hour from here. Haven't been there for ages. Used to do a bit of fishing there with my brother in law.

I've got some of that green chalk on order. Should make those Stanley suckers shine

Japanese waterstones thru a progression.
    A passion of mine with honing to a polish

Cheers
    Johnno

Everyone has a photographic memory, some just don't have film.

Voted "other" as use several options.

Turning tools, 8" grinder, homemade "unijig" style jig, grey wheel. While turning, have a small oil slipstone, and hone the bevel and flute from time to time. When this starts becoming tedious, back to the wheel and jig for a light touchup. Skews, flat oilstone instead of slipstone. scrapers and parting tools, grinder only.

Hand tools, same grinder for chisels, same jig. For plane blades, a 25 deg jig on the disc sander. I use SS if I am being very serious, or setting up a full regrind, with a honing guide. (narrow wheeled one, so I can work back the corners), going to 2000 grit. If I am just mucking around, I will more likely just use the Bunnies fine oilstone.

I have mixed feelings about the passion for going to mirror finishes, as I have the sneaky feeling that one loses a bit of the sharpness in getting there. I wonder if one isn't getting the bevel rounded over by mucking about for too long. Jury is still out on that one.

Alastair

Quote Originally Posted by Alastair
    Voted "other" as use several options.

I have mixed feelings about the passion for going to mirror finishes, as I have the sneaky feeling that one loses a bit of the sharpness in getting there. I wonder if one isn't getting the bevel rounded over by mucking about for too long. Jury is still out on that one.

Alastair
    Me too. Have a look at this very scientific analysis, whic would question the Veritas honing compound:

http://www3.telus.net/BrentBeach/Sharpen/overview.html
    The only way to get rid of a [Domino] temptation is to yield to it. Oscar Wilde

.....so go4it people!

"Other - Please give details"
    I dont, I just buy new tools!(yes i am kidding)