Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

The PC rubbish makes about as much sense as the study mentioned on the box the other night. It seems that shoppers are becoming stressed because there are too many choices on the supermarket shelves, wonder how much of our tax money went for the grant to study that. :mad:

G'day Termite,

That was recent study by an Ad Agency (can't remeber their name) into FMCG (fast moving consumer goods) and buyer trends and choices. Studies like this are regurarly made to give the agency a further insight into consumer trends to help their clients.
    I make things, I just take a long time.

www.brandhouse.net.au

Quote Originally Posted by masoth
    ........The english language is what it is, and I for one use it as descriptively as I can. In disputes, one can be fairly sure nothing is truely black or white.

soth
    Not sure I totally agreed with this statement. English is constantly evolving, and it always has, as community use and standards change over time.

The most frequent use of the work "gay" had a very different common meaning not that very long ago. Have a look at almost anything written over 50 years ago and the different style and meaning of many phrases and words is very evident. Language does change over time.

However, I do agree that many things are not black and white. These are complex issues. If they were simple the problems would have been fixed long ago. PC is one issue that has grown out of all proportion but, interestingly, from two perspectives. There was and still is a problem that needs to be addressed with some of our language usage but it seems now that the term "politically correct" has taken on a life of its own. On the one hand, some use it to attempt to unreasonably modify the behaviour and language of others. The white/blackboard example in this post is a prime example - just silly. On the other hand it is used also by people at the other end of the spectrum to "shout down" any debate at all when they are taken to task over comments that are quite clearly offensive.

In many respects it comes down to common courtesy to others and a little thought into what is said before opening mouth.

Just my two cents worth.

The teacher is not gay is he?

So my uncle who owns a restaurant has to reprint his menu. What the hell is he going to call “Beef in black bean sauce” now? Maybe he should just call it #56.
    Visit my website at www.myFineWoodWork.com

Quote Originally Posted by Wongo
    The teacher is not gay is he?

So my uncle who owns a restaurant has to reprint his menu. What the hell is he going to call “Beef in black bean sauce” now? Maybe he should just call it #56.
    No, of course not. Read my post. There is much in the PC issue that is simply silly. Your example would fall into that category, as does the white/blackboard issue.

I was arguing the case from both sides, PC is needed in some circumstances but in many other circumstances it is a nonsense. It is often used inappropriately by those on both sides of the debate to vent their own beliefs or to put down those with contrary views.

I was agreeing with a previous post that this is a complex issue. If the answers to all the problems of the world were as simple as some people make out then they would have been solved long ago. Significant issues in relation to human nature and interaction are often not as simple as they appear.

G'day,

Political correctness has no reason for existing if we all treat each other in a manner that we ourselves would like to be treated.

It only exists because a number of people wish to force their own agendas and views onto the general populace.

Unfortunately we seem to be loosing our identity, one example of this is religious celebrations being deemed inappropriate because it might cause offence to someone of another religion. We are a nation that tolerates all religions, instead with this, we are being forced into coertion by religions that don't tolerate other religions. :confused: :mad:
    I make things, I just take a long time.

www.brandhouse.net.au

Default PC Gone mad?

Wasn't it not that long ago that childrens nursery rhymes have also come under the PC spotlight. I'm sure there was something on TT on 7 about children not being able to sing Baa Baa black sheep, becuase it may offend. I think this is madness as children should'nt have this sort of thing forced upon them at such a young age. Let them make up their own minds about it. Does this mean that we won't be able to watch B/W movies any more? Even the military who seem to be in the news a bit of late have fallen to it. The word enemy has now been replaced by agressor force. No longer do they fight the enemies from Musoria or Kameria. these were imaginary islands off our coast who always used to invade us only to have their hethen forces pushed back into the sea. It was considered offensive and it may upset our northern neighbours.
    Dave,
    hug the tree before you start the chainsaw.

Arrived in Malaysia back in 1980 for 2 years of RAAF service there.

First thing we saw on the local TV? An add in Malay but the brand name of the Toothpaste was "Darkie" and a gollywog type character advertising it.

Quote Originally Posted by Waldo
    G'day,

Political correctness has no reason for existing if we all treat each other in a manner that we ourselves would like to be treated.

It only exists because a number of people wish to force their own agendas and views onto the general populace.

Unfortunately we seem to be loosing our identity, one example of this is religious celebrations being deemed inappropriate because it might cause offence to someone of another religion. We are a nation that tolerates all religions, instead with this, we are being forced into coertion by religions that don't tolerate other religions. :confused: :mad:
    Very well put - and is in keeping with most views and opinions.

Now - why can't those who persist in pushing this PC garbage, ie the Toes aka Pollies who seem to be only influenced by what suits their own purposes, do what the majority of society wants. :mad::mad::mad:

Yellow glue sounds offensive. :mad:

Visit my website at www.myFineWoodWork.com

Quote Originally Posted by Wongo
    Yellow glue sounds offensive. :mad:

Ahh Wongo you crack me up!

I read this with the same reaction as most I guess.

How about you approach the school and tell them that your son is now very confused and isn't sure what colours he can use safely in conversation. Since he is sensitive to being called a racist he needs counselling to overcome this - the school of course should provide it (them having raised the issue by calling him a racist) and believing it to be so important.

The school should also provide a fully up to date list of words that are not to be used and instruct their teachers not to use them.

What a load of rubbish - just ask to talk to the Principle and the teacher concerrned and sort it out.

Hope that teacher never wants a table made out of Blackwood with Blackbutt legs with some nice White polish on top

If they make a new movie on the Dambusters raid you will probably see a different code word used to the one that signaled to breeching of the Mohne dam. ie the name of Gibsons dog.......

if you don't know sorry cant write it here.

the name of Gibsons dog
    Yet the "Afro-American" rappers are quite happy to refer to themselves using the same word. I heard a song on JJJ just this morning, shortly after reading this thread, in which a female vocalist used the term in reference to her male counterpart. Regular listeners will also be familiar with a song called 'Gold digger', which is a rip off of an old Ray Charles song. The words go "I ain't saying she's a gold digger, but she ain't messing with no broke XXXXXX". Now if I said that I would be a racist. I noticed that it was blanked out when the song was played on commercial stations and on TV but JJJ was quite happy to broadcast it in it's entirety.
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."