Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  13
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    FenceFurniture is offline The prize lies beneath - hidden in full view

Mate, I have to elect you to "Associate of the Hidden Verb Pun Club". That is a particularly good gag.
    Regards, FenceFurniture

COLT DRILLS GROUP BUY
    Jan-Feb 2019 Click to send me an email

Quote Originally Posted by FenceFurniture View Post
    Mate, I have to elect you to "Associate of the Hidden Verb Pun Club". That is a particularly good gag.
    Thanks Fence! But we'll have to work out another name for them, as there are too many exceptions to the hidden "verb" rule. (As with my last one.) Getting a name for them was the aim of this thread, as well as some laughs of course. @labr is good - he must be a well read type I think.

Yes, Labr@ is also worthy of an Associateship.

There's a hidden verb in there - "tell".
    Regards, FenceFurniture

COLT DRILLS GROUP BUY

Yes, Labr@ is also worthy of an Associateship.

There's a hidden verb in there - "tell".
    Doing! : - 1

You're right - there is one there. I've got a lot to learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Dodgy Dovetails View Post
    must be a well read type
    Obviously not well read enough though - I had to look up fewtel as it was completely new to me (which could explain the quality and progress rate of some of my projects ).

This type of thing is probably going to appeal to those who like cryptic crosswords, which includes me even though I'm not really good at them.

On a slightly more ordinary plane of punsterism I stopped at a sleazy market today and saw someone trying to fence furniture with dodgy dovetails. (Ya just can't help it with user names like that )

Oh, and Vincent you a message which I hope you get before lanterns the power off.
    Cheers, Bob the labrat

Measure once and.... the phone rings!

I swear Labr@ just got in ahead of me! I had literally just turned on the computer to write:

"Hey, do you Fence Furniture or are you totally legit?"

Then I was going to say, there's one right under your nose my friend!

Labr@ has due precedence and I bow to it.

Back to the (now redundant) drawing board. Everything is now cad cam

Oh, and Vincent you a message which I hope you get before lanterns the power off.[/QUOTE]

Labr@ these are so lame, even Austentayshus would have rejected them. Which is a good point of me to make. These words gags are in a different, higher sphere to the Austentayshus style. He isn't relevant here.

I am quick with praise for your first class efforts - "piccilo note" for example. That one makes sense both literally and on an abstract level - high standard there mate! The flip side of the coin is that I will review your pale, groan worthy, and in this case irrelevant efforts, with the same yardstick. (Even though, in woodworking of course, we no longer use avoirdupois.)

Who would have thought humour was such an, er, serious business?

These gags, I'm starting to realise, are unique, which is no doubt why Fence Furniture put them out there to try and get a name for the rarefied and unique style of humour they represent. Who did he claim was the original inventor of them? He might think a little bit like me!

So you'll have to self-edit next time mate, before public release, and measure them first against your successes. Because those ones have been a treat.

Well, look, I can't leave off now without offering something new up can I? If I am going to talk the talk, I'll have to walk the walk. I'm trying to keep it a bit relevant to woodworking, and as dust is a constant problem in our activities (particularly, it seems, for Fence Furniture. I have admired the elaborate dust countermeasures he has rigged up, and posted in a mildly and justly boastful way on this forum) so here is my latest - verb free! - effort. (For you multi-skilled woodworking / drummers out there, drum roll please!)

"Asbestos I can work out, I wouldn't breathe that."

Default We've given them a name

We three originators (Baz, Dick and myself) have agreed that we will call these "Incommunicados", and we are therefore the "Incommunicado Triumvirate". Our first (and last) resolution is to cease all contact.
    Regards, FenceFurniture

COLT DRILLS GROUP BUY

We three originators (Baz, Dick and myself) have agreed that we will call these "Incommunicados", and we are therefore the "Incommunicado Triumvirate". Our first (and last) resolution is to cease all contact.
    But you haven't...have you
    The person who never made a mistake never made anything

Cheers
    Ray

Quote Originally Posted by rwbuild View Post
    But you haven't...have you
    Well funnily enough, I've heard nothing since.....
    Regards, FenceFurniture

COLT DRILLS GROUP BUY

I wanted to hire someone with ESP so the employment agency sentimentalist.

When I saw a kid with a carrot in the lion enclosure I asked him if he wanted to be eaten and he said no, but the vegemite.

My mate had a leadlight picture of a beautiful ship but she was broken in one corner so he solder.
    Cheers, Bob the labrat

Measure once and.... the phone rings!

Quote Originally Posted by labr@ View Post
    I wanted to hire someone with ESP so the employment agency sentimentalist.
    Regards, FenceFurniture

COLT DRILLS GROUP BUY

I think they must make grammatical sense too, as a sentence, and not just be all set up just to enable a payoff at the end, as with "sentimentalist." That does not make sense on face value as well. With Fence Furniture's great "Razor blade" gag and, if I may also modestly put forward here my own "fewtel" gag (which I have been allowing myself a chuckle or two about since) they do make sense on face value as well.

It does go to show that classic success in this form is a rare beast, with many pretenders that are worth appeciation, but not the status of a true "Incommunicado." (I get that - "in" communicado it is a play on being "in" communication with these and not being "in" communication at the same time. Ie, making sense and not making sense at the same time.)

Nevertheless Labr@, I am enjoying the workings of your mind. I feared this novel grammatical thread had expired, and that we were going to have to go back to knocking the knots out of pine boards to make novelty dice from, manouevreing spokeshaves around like the mini sub in Richard Basehart's Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea - and devising ever more elaborate dust collection devices asbestos we can.

I just got an email from Dick (in Spain), and he says that his favourites work by omitting a repeated sound:
    "All my favourites have it: pick Picasso, Horta oughta, score Scorcese, test testosterone, were Wurlitzers, tar Tarkovsky, die of diabetes, pierce Pierce, etc. To me, the omission of a repeated sound is a form of hyper-efficient and highly logical information compression, and the contrast between this machine-minded energy saving (information is energy) and the linguistic absurdity that results is the real beauty of the gags. "

His Uncle Jim
    was a professor of linguistics at Edinburgh University, and he's seeing him at Xmas, so he'll be sure to drop them on him.

They are indeed tough to get working properly. I think my total offering in ten years has been 4 that work properly. Baz is the best at them.
    Regards, FenceFurniture

COLT DRILLS GROUP BUY

They are indeed tough to get working properly. I think my total offering in ten years has been 4 that work properly. Baz is the best at them.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, BG, I appreciate that.