Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

If anybody's still intrerested in noise insulation in the workshop, the current Tools and Shops has a fairly comprehensive article on the subject.

I can understand the frustration with neighbours. After having lived in Numurkah (country vic) for 15 years on a hobby farm surrounded by 1000 acres of quiet bliss I had to move back to the city for teens education and jobs etc. I have spent the last 5 years living on a major road in the outer east and whilst I have coped with the noise and smell of the city I cant take the traffic any longer.
    In this time every property adjoining mine has been subdivided into either dual occ or has had units built on it and none of these I objected to being of the ' its your property its your right mentality'. I decided that the 'if you cant beat em join' trick would work for me so I designed 4 town houses to be built on this property and sold up and am moving a little further out to the edge of the Yarra Valley where my home will be still suburbian but across the road is beautiful open pasture with a hills backdrop where I can chill and remember the country life.
    Oddly enough when I put the plans in with local council I had 3 objections from the neighbours living in the dog kennels around me.
    Weird....Are they annoyed that they will live next to small boxes like their own or is it some strange envy that I'm free and out of here...who knows....but council didnt agree...guess those rates they collect are worth a bit of a whinge.
    Anyway now I have to renovate this new place and will be using this site heaps (as posted in home reno) . I just hope the cows and horses across the road dont drink and party or play in a band till all hours...
    I dont wanna do this anymore!

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

We used to have 2 acres in Wonga Park, probably near you, ran out of room and moved to west Gippsland.
    No neighbours but six farting horses in the front paddock at 3.00am can be a bit of a shock.
    I have complained but they don't pay any attention.
    Neighbours, over one Km away, this is great.
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.

I'm used to farting horses....I owned some ...but farting cars....BLAH!!!

I only fart hot air.
    Farting horses would give you some really serious stretch marks.

Yeah but what a ride

Default VIC Noise laws

Goldy & DanP,
    The link to victoria's noise guidelines/laws is http://www.epa.vic.gov.au/Noise/
    -------------
    Cheers,
    John
    Dead ant, dead ant...

Got my first grilling buy a neighbour this weekend for to much noise. Got a knock on the shed door while working and went out to see who it was and boy did she give me a mouth full all I got in was G`day how`s it going. Couldn't get a word in and have my say and just walked off on me. If was a problem all she had to do was ask politely to keep it down and could you do something about the noise but some people have no manners and just go for the throat.
    Everytime I see my other neighbours and I ask them how the noise problem is and get the response no problem. Always start at 9am and finish before 6pm. Anyone had experiences like this do you just put up with them ore next tell them to go and get %$#@*&.

Regards Goldy.

Another well resurrected thread!!

My PB (personal best) was an 11.00 am Saturday complaint from a pyjama clad neighbour about our barking dog (dog was innocent, and neighbour was a loony!)..after wearing a stream of obscenities, I smilingly apologised and offered to mow the grass so he couldn't hear the dog over the noise of the mower.

Neighbour lost the plot, went inside and trashed his house, throwing chairs through his closed windows.

Oh dear. How sad. Never mind!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

P

Goldy,
    got a new neighbour two doors down a few months ago. We're in a semi rural area and everybody knows almost everybody else. This woman moved in and dobbed my brickie mate in to the council because she thought he was building a 3 story extension in the back yard - he wasn't, just garden beds etc. The only illegal part of his building work was a bit of alsynite sheeting screwed from the fence to his potting shed roof. He put this up to stop sound from going straight into her lounge! She's also had a run in with the neighbours on the other side, thought the teenage daughter's TV was on too loud. She's had the council posting official noise complaint notices, including to our Rural Fire Brigade for using our siren :eek: . I took great pleasure in informing both her and the council that we were an emergency service and our covering legislation over-rode most other laws. The council at least should have known better. We've actually only fired the siren up once for a training session, all the other times it was for real. She's even complained to the police that all her neighbours are conspiring to drive her out! (We're not, she's doing fine all by herself ) I think some people have unrealistic expectations as to how quiet it should be where they live. People mow, brushcut, use power blowers, pressure washers, rebuild cars, do woodwork, renovate/owner build their houses and have parties. Come 7pm around here and it's dead quiet, all you can hear is the occasional car or cow, the crickets and curlews and at about 11pm the goods train. Unfortunately not everybody knows how to give and take and how to talk to someone if they have a problem with their actions.
    I'm a bit worried what here reaction will be when I start machining all the timber for my new kitchen, I reckon the thicknesser will be running 8 hours a day for a few days at least.

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

this is the reason that i bought the reno hse that i jhave posted about
    the hse next door was occupied by a old gent for 7 yrs didnt even know he was there hse other side a family with older teens kids no problem at all hardly knew they where there then they both moved out both hses renovated one three bedrooms my side all have aircons going most of the day on my lounge side the other only seperated by the drive ( hse is less than a mtre from the fence line ) and thats where my bedrooms are so noise is a real problem from that one had tenants there started out young girl with child then the b/f then his mates then the partys started got the police number on speed dial and was calling the owner at 2am to complian told him every time they kept me awake i was ringing him they moved soon after

just the thought of new ones moving in is enough to give me the irrates so decide that i was moving new hse is a corner block crown land behind ( unbuildable as full of boulders and a dry creek ) and there is 2/3rds of acre before the next neighbours

just annoyed that im the one thats moving when was perfectly happy where i am right in middle of town but was very quite as everyone else gose home at 6 .

anyway not much u can do about it dont know how pple live in cities etc i really have become the country hick i suppose and just find anywhere with more than 50 pple a pain in the b*m

bye all

Nine hours is a long time to have to put up with the kind of noise we make, especially when you are doing something important like sitting on your lounge getting fat and watching your favourite soaps.
    As an occasional woodworker and a sax learner I am very conscious of the noise I make. I keep a rough mental record of the actual time spent on noisy machinery such as saws and sanders so that I am forearmed if I get a complaint. Add up all the times your machinery is actually running and it's surprising how little time is spent making noise. It just seems a lot because it is happening throughout the day.
    I worked out that even on a very active day I wouldn't make noise for more than fifteen minutes total. Some of my neighbours make more noise for longer with mowers and whipper snippers.
    I'm lucky with neighbours. The guy across the road has an industrial bell in his house just so he can hear his phone ring, the neighbours on one side are never home during the day and the neighbours on the other side have four dogs so who gives a rat's what they think.

Angry Frigg*n #$!!* house Frigg*n burgular alarms

Sunday arvo, SWMBO not feelin crash hot so I tell her to have a nap on the couch, I'll look after the whipper snappers, we play on the lawn for awhile and I talk miss 4 into going to have a snooze. Then I gets Mr 2 and convince him to watch NGeo channel and he crashes out on loungeroom floor. Bewdy, Sundy arvo, everybody snoozin , so Dad has a quick checkers of the BB, read the new Mik cattledog and just drifting off to land of nod and;

wwooowooowwooowwwooowwwooo!!

Bloody Burgular alarm two doors up, goes off the same time every day. I'm all for home security but this is beyond the joke. Woke me, the Missus (shes Jan) and Miss 4. Mr 2 slept through the whole lot...Oh to be able to sleep like that.
    Joys of the burbs.

Cheers
    Squizzy

"It is better to be ignorant and ask a stupid question than to be plain Stupid and not ask at all" {screamed by maths teacher in Year 8}

Random alarms going off - pressure pack foam insulation in the speaker box works wonders & doesn't leave fingerprints. Here in NSW the Police can 'disable' an alarm that won't turn off - its handy to loan them a 1 kg hammer and a small ladder.

As I live in a suburban area with neighbours all round, I have to be very conscious of not making too much noise (but I do like to fire up the jointer, tablesaw etc. occasionally), so took pre-emptive action and asked the neighbours (including a nurse who does shift work) to let me know if the noise ever worried them. Also asked them to let me know if they ever needed anything made. No problems so far, still on good terms with the neighbours & actually got to have a beer with one bloke I hadn't spoken to before.
    Visit my website
    Website
    Facebook