Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pretty welds

Quote Originally Posted by spooled View Post
    FWIW, although cute, many of the welds pictured would not pass a pressure welding examination.
    Just curious but what do you mean by this? To me a novice most of the welds on the first few pages look perfect or am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by Ch4iS View Post
    Just curious but what do you mean by this? To me a novice most of the welds on the first few pages look perfect or am I missing something?
    A lot of the welds, especially the 'weave' tig were heavily undercut and underfilled, It was explained somewhere that this is to increase the radius of the weld...

The mig welds had me cringing, but I am no racecar builder and from the thread it seems that these things hold up sooo who am I to say!

I was always under the impression that cromoly tube was second pass capped to help spread the HAZ and avoid cracking associated with the small HAZ seen with tig? Not that I have a lot of experience welding cro moly (specifically round bar welded to plates etc making jigs for which a tig root run and stick cap was made...)

The guy that was making the fuss about the improper technique posted up some of his welds eventually, and I would have called them for perfect in appearance, what every mig welder should strive for.

On the other hand, a LOT of those racecar guys have some very tight technique going there!

Ben

Just went and had a look back through some of my work pics, found one I liked, I think I am too hard on myself sometimes....

Pretty easy to achieve with a pulse tig and positioner though. 38mm tube welded into a 2" BSP bush, all 316. No filler was harmed in the making of this weld...

Attachment 176206

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.