Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Waldo View Post
    G'day John,

But we've paid off the inherited national debt from business reports that I've seen, it's the states that still have us in debt - Victoria being the worst. Housing, well that's not a political responsibility of either of the two major parties - unless you include stamp duty - which is a state thing.
    And the States are down on revenue, 8% PA from memory, ANU did a study. Makes them all the more vunerable and reliant on gaming taxes. Also sitting on a 13bil surplus is theft as far as I can tell. The Aus economy is only strong because of commodity prices, any government could manage that.

The national debt has been transferred into personal debt, while the surplus grows to embarrassing proportions, go figure.... nah these guys are crooks. Their super is OK, but ask any pensioner or war vet about the economy.
    "We must never become callous. When we experience the conflicts ever more deeply we are living in truth. The quiet conscience is an invention of the devil." - Albert Schweizer

My blog. http://theupanddownblog.blogspot.com

There are three main issues that are influencing my vote this year:

1. Iraq. Can't cop the fawning attitude that we've adopted to the US in this war. I hate it, awful. Really affects me.

2. Work Choices. I believe that small businesses needed some changes to legislation, but I believe that the Work Choices legislation is several steps too far, and will lead to (has lead to) the abuse of workers by employers and a surge in the strength of unions as the workers realise that this legislation leaves them so exposed.

3. The tax system. Costello has been in charge of the tax system for a long time now, and it is steadily getting more complicated and convoluted rather than less. Some of the changes to the super laws are a big step in the right direction, but way too little and way too late for my money.

So guess which way I'm not voting!
    Bob C.

Never give up.

The ABC's Boyer lectures might help in understanding "the recession we had to have", and in particular to put it into perspective and to see the the 'mechanics' of both the recession and the responses to it.

There's a lot more to it than Labour getting us into it and the Liberals getting us out.... in fact my statement is simplistic and just plain wrong, as wrong as suggesting that the Libs are responsible for the current strength in the Australian economy.

What influences my vote? I mostly give a kickin the ????? dependant on who deserves it most, as there seems very little to reward.
    Cheers,
    Clinton

"Use your third eye" - Watson

http://www.flickr.com/photos/clinton_findlay/

My choice is very simple. My local member is Kevin Andrews.

I hate what he has done in overturning NT laws on euthanasia, what he has done to Centrelink whilst he was minister for that portfolio, the creation of workchoices and how that has destroyed many safeguards workers had and the latest debacle as immigration minister.

Hence my vote is against him. If that means the Howard government goes so much the better.

Peter.

Well said by Peter couldn't agree more. The argument over who has the most debt is a political one. Canberra has indeed paid off all debt, in part no doubt helped by flogging off assets and strong tax revenues. As a share of total tax take Canberra has been increasing its percentage over the states. It should not be forgotten that the states handed over their right to the feds to levy income taxes in the 1940's and in return received a share of the total tax take. In the years before GST this led to some states subsidising others, allowing smaller states to survive. Come GST Canberra cunningly decided the states would pick up GST revenues and this now means Canberra is sitting on a higher percentage of the tax take and effectively starving the states. Part of the GST deal was for the states to abolish some taxes, although the ones sent to the bin was for the greater good it has left the states with a smaller tax base.

In one way debt is not a bad thing if it is used on infrastructure projects building up the country and it could be argued that at a Federal level we have become lazy and are not investing in the country.

However we have borrowed heavily from overseas to fund our ballooning housing prices and economic growth, but it is the private sector that has taken on the debt. If we have a period of housing deflation and higher interest rates we will find our wonderfully managed economy has developed some major structural weaknesses in terms of household exposure to debt and interest rates and that has a direct effect on economic growth. A certain amount of our growth is coming from the metals boom and some from heavy borrowings it would be wrong to think however we are being well managed on the basis that the current ratbags can balance the books. Anyone should be able to do that in times like these.

John.

Eyebrows.
    "Look out! Mum's in the shed and she's got a hammer!"

Quote Originally Posted by johnc View Post
    In one way debt is not a bad thing if it is used on infrastructure projects building up the country .
    Just remember Gough , and who gets the commission on the loan
    Ashore

The trouble with life is there's no background music.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashore View Post
    Remember Menzies, remember Fraser. These parties bear little resemblance to their political forebears. They turn members and policies continuously in the battle to get in or stay in. The liberalism of Fraser is very different to that of Howard. Im sure that applies to the other mob as well. They will do what the polling tels them will win the most votes, just watch the backflips on both sides. Neither has an idealogical base anymore.

Makes smaller perties much more appealling as at least you know what you are voting for.
    "We must never become callous. When we experience the conflicts ever more deeply we are living in truth. The quiet conscience is an invention of the devil." - Albert Schweizer

Also remember no one got the commission because the loan did not go ahead, and Gough ended up with egg all over his face.

What influences my vote?

Track record, and a good memory of the past with either in power.
    Cheers

TEEJAY

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"

(Man was born to hunt and kill)

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastiaan56 View Post

Makes smaller perties much more appealling as at least you know what you are voting for.

To do that we need proportional representation, not the anachronistic system inherited from the Poms, based on electorates. What is the sense of electorates, the elected member doesn't represent his/her electorate anyway, only votes the party line.

One vote, one value I say.

I have lived in electorates where you can run a donkey and it will get elected, first in a very safe liberal seat, now in a very safe labor seat.

Any system that results in a government getting elected with less than 50% of the vote is broke.

If it can be done for the senate, not quite proportional but at least per state it is, then it can be done for the lower house.

Phew, got that off my chest

Quote Originally Posted by TEEJAY View Post
    What influences my vote?

Track record, and a good memory of the past with either in power.
    So your voting informal then
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

My Other Toys

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastiaan56 View Post
    Remember Menzies, remember Fraser. These parties bear little resemblance to their political forebears. They turn members and policies continuously in the battle to get in or stay in. The liberalism of Fraser is very different to that of Howard. Im sure that applies to the other mob as well. They will do what the polling tels them will win the most votes, just watch the backflips on both sides. Neither has an idealogical base anymore.

Was not trying top just point at labour rather to comment on John's comment that foriegn debt can be a good thing, where I agree infrastructure projects are good, but the way we fund is needs close scrutiny espically if someone is getting a backhander regardless of there political party.
    Ashore

The trouble with life is there's no background music.

THe first party to put in set terms of government and put a stop to all this phony campaining that goes on, with us having to wait for the current PM to decide when its most advantagous for their party to go to the polls would be a good start.
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Was not trying top just point at labour rather to comment on John's comment that foriegn debt can be a good thing, where I agree infrastructure projects are good, but the way we fund is needs close scrutiny espically if someone is getting a backhander regardless of there political party.
    Quite agree, none of them are squeaky clean, and corruption is corruption, and war crimes are war crimes. My issue is the market research driven policies of the twin L's, they are so close on most things that the only difference is the age of the leaders, Johnys baggage and what ever dirt can be dug up and thrown at Kev. Doesnt make the muster for semi intelligent debate on where Aus should be going. Aus politics is a policy free zone in most cases. Get rid of Dorothy Dixers for a start.

I agree with Shed, one vote one value, put the twin L's back in their hole's. I wont vote informal (waste of a precious opinion) but will make a few comments on the ballot. I understand all non offensive ballot comments have to be recorded.

Maybe we need a woodworkers interest party, there would be enough members here and other various forums to get the membership, ally with some wacko's and provide a forumite with a pension befitting the interest.