Thanks Thanks:  179
Likes Likes:  391
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 101516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Exclamation

Like the look of your next project Keith!!

Pity the Rocket has to wait but it will happen, won't it??

Quote Originally Posted by artme View Post
    Like the look of your next project Keith!!

Pity the Rocket has to wait but it will happen, won't it??
    Yes it will, but want something more modern.

Regards

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_1 View Post
    Good thing is - Cathie made me get it - so I think I have her blessing.

All the Best

Keith
    You could say that she doesn't want to see you running off the rails............
    The person who never made a mistake never made anything

Cheers
    Ray

Quote Originally Posted by rwbuild View Post
    You could say that she doesn't want to see you running off the rails............
    I like it !!

How true, but probably way past that point.

All the Best

Keith

Wow Keith. That German train has a lot of parts. Look forward to seeing how you tackle it. Figuring out the scale will be mind boggling. If you just half the scale it will probably be around 3 feet long.

Bret

Quote Originally Posted by bj383ss View Post
    Wow Keith. That German train has a lot of parts. Look forward to seeing how you tackle it. Figuring out the scale will be mind boggling. If you just half the scale it will probably be around 3 feet long.

Bret
    Yes Bret,

It will be a big challenge. When I start it will be in the Model section. (don't want to upset anybody, just want to enjoy building and enjoying my retirement).

I had another look t your train. It was beautifully built.

I hope my large loco comes up as good as yours did.

All the best

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_1 View Post
    Hi All

Nearly finished the locomotive section. Fitted the pressure gauge and I made up a pressure relief valve (sitting behind it) out of some old air conditioner fittings a mate gave me. I have made and fitted that connecting rod (that I still don't know what it does). Now I am drawing up the wheels and design of the tender. It's pouring rain here today.

Regards

Keith
    HI Keith

1. I have absolutely NO problem with you posting this in the toy section -- the working steam engine I had as a kid was a TOY not a model (adults and boys can only be separated by the size/cost of their toys)

2. the connecting rod -- I've only a vague idea of the mechanics of the engine, but I recall it had a double acting piston which would need connecting rods to open and close the valves at both ends of the cylinder
    regards from Alberta, Canada

ian

Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    HI Keith

1. I have absolutely NO problem with you posting this in the toy section -- the working steam engine I had as a kid was a TOY not a model (adults and boys can only be separated by the size/cost of their toys)

2. the connecting rod -- I've only a vague idea of the mechanics of the engine, but I recall it had a double acting piston which would need connecting rods to open and close the valves at both ends of the cylinder
    Thanks for your comments and information on the mechanics of the engine Ian, It is most appreciated.

Have a great day

Regards

Keith

I hate to see this finished, I have really enjoyed the ride. Not only did you do the greatest of builds, but you did a great job letting me (others probably feel the same) ride along and be a part of it. Oh, well, please let me come along on your next build. I've had a great time.

Quote Originally Posted by PLD View Post
    I hate to see this finished, I have really enjoyed the ride. Not only did you do the greatest of builds, but you did a great job letting me (others probably feel the same) ride along and be a part of it. Oh, well, please let me come along on your next build. I've had a great time.

Hi PLD,

It's not finished !!!

I am now working on the tender which includes a coal wagon. I think that the tender will really enhance the look of the locomotive and then I have to do the tracks. I will be including ballast on the track section. I used to do a lot of HO model railway layouts in my younger days which really focussed on track layout. I still reckon I have 2 months to go on this build. Then onto a 2-8-2 loco - an enormous project. Already thinking of a way to make the loco wheels - 24 of them (not including tender). I also have the plans of a WW2 Martin Baltimore bomber that my old man flew in the Middle East and Italy. Six foot wingspan - I reckon it is another 12 month project, so got plenty ahead of me.

Thanks for your kind comments, I really appreciate them and of course I will continue posting.

All the Best

Keith

Hi All,

Been a few days since I posted, but only because doing design work on the tender and pretty boring stuff making up the remaining wheels of the tender. Trying to research and find information on the tender section and coal truck is not easy when it was so long ago. The tender looks similarly weird as the locomotive. The tender secures at the stack end. The driver stands on boards between the locomotive and the coal truck. The wheels of the tender look small in comparison to the loco drive wheels but to scale would be 30 inches in diameter, so relatively big. I have dawn up the tender to make it easier for me to make, it also demonstrates to others where the coal truck I located. Finished the wheels (used 3mm MDF for the outer rim section on both sides. Made up stub axles out of aluminium. Then made up the tender chasis. Placed it in location at the loco to see how it looks. Think it will come up pretty good.

Regards

Keith
    Attached Images Attached Images

Keith G'day, Your right, they sure did thing's differently back in the good old day's. It reminds me of a billycart I made when I was a lad, which was a long time ago. Keep up the good work, we are all most suitably impressed. Regard's Jim.

crowie is offline Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

While you says it's a lot of "boring stuff", you have been quite busy and productive..... well done Keith, cheers crowie

But how do you stoke the fire while the engine is running
    even back in 1804, I can't see how it could be done without needing a new fireman every few miles
    regards from Alberta, Canada

ian

Wild machine this you've got to love it
    I know you've probably covered it before, but the wheels on the tender have me wondering.
    Do they run between the rails and not on top of them?
    If that's the case I'm glad it only went at a walking pace.

Great work mate.
    On top of that the hole build is a fascinating look at early railway engineering.

Cheers
    Trev.