Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Very nice, TL! Hmmm. . . Earl Grey--Bit of white and lemon, no sugar thank you.
    Cheers,

Bob

There is a funny song about Earl Grey, I like English Breakfast best.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

Nice!

Can I ask why there are no knobs on any of the teapot lids?
    I may be weird, but I'm saving up to become eccentric.

- Andy Mc

Put the kettle on!

Thumbs up Latest efforts

Love your work Tea Lady. Very stylish and classy.

Niiiiiiiiiice
    Allan
    Gunner

No knobs on the lids because you just can pick them up be the rim. Knobs are more needed when lid is set into the top with no edge showing. Also just one more thing to go wrong or fall off. Don't want to give Murphy to much of a chance. Already chourting disaster even doing pottery. Then throw in wood work too.

Thanks all for your comments though. Might bring some to turnfest if you want.
    anne-maria.
    T
    ea Lady

(White with none)
    Follow my little workshop/gallery on facebook. things of clay and wood.

Mmmmm, Very Very!! I think I agree with DJ's sentiments

Cheers
    Wendy

Nice work Tea Lady, very elegant. I do like the touch of timber with the ceramics, its a nice contrast.
    Do you throw, glaze and fire the pots yourself as well? And the pattern I take is a transfer glaze?

Cheers,
    Andy Mac
    Change is inevitable, growth is optional.

Very nice Tea Lady.... do you sell them, if so how?

Also how are the pots constructed are they turned on a wheel? Apologies if you've explained this elsewhere....

HH.
    Always look on the bright side...

Very classy design and I love the glaze and the timber handle.

We've got a couple of beautiful looking ceramic teapots - one slops tea everywhere when pouring and the lid always falls off the other one. Looks like yours would actually work too!!

Try Formosan tea, it cacks all over Earl Grey. All teabags are ????e

Mike

Default How the pots were made?

I thought this was a wood work forum. Well OK. Tea pots were hand thrown and assembled. Satin glaze. Hand painted decoration (Not a transfer.). Fired to 1200 degrees Celcius in electric kiln. Green glaze is a copper green glaze. Small imprint stamp applied to still wet pots.

Handles are lamenated veneer. Use to use cane handles, which I never really liked, but everyone did it. But they are not importing them anymore, and since I didn't really like them anyway I thought I could make my own. Couldn't be to hard. Hence even being on this forum. Now planning to turn saucers to go with cups. Make trays. Wooden lids perhaps for big jars or something. I really like the combination of wood and ceramic.

I only sell through a few select shops in Vic at the moment, but hopefully will be expanding that soon. Not avers to mailing things overseas.
    anne-maria.
    T
    ea Lady

(White with none)

Quote Originally Posted by tea lady View Post
    I thought this was a wood work forum. Don't worry about the Woodies, we get enough attention! Well OK. Tea pots were hand thrown and assembled. Satin glaze. Hand painted decoration (Not a transfer.). Fired to 1200 degrees Celcius in electric kiln. Green glaze is a copper green glaze. Small imprint stamp applied to still wet pots.
    I'm even more impressed! Sorry to suggest it was a transfer (they seem to be very popular now), you have a very sure hand! Electric or kick wheel? To fire to 1200 is it a stoneware clay body? And what controls the kiln temp. -cone, simmerstat or Harco?

Cheers,
    Andy Mac
    Change is inevitable, growth is optional.

The samples on your website of the tiles you've made are great. Seem's to me that you could combine them with timber to make trivets, small stands, coffee tables, cupboards, alters etc. Hey, you could even recess them into doors! I agree with you, I think wood and ceramics are a great combination.

Thrown on electric wheel. Would love a kick wheel if anyone has one taking up valuable real estate in their shed.

Yes. Hand decorated not a transfer. Investigated for awhile doing some sort of transfer, but I like the process of painting. Like working with details. Like taking the time. Not like my son, who thinks the drive to the letter box takes to long.

Fire to 1200 Deg. Celsius. Use vitrified china clay, that is like porcelain. Vitrified means it is water tight even without a glaze. Decided to use that clay because can get a few more colours at slightly lower firing temperature. (Not that I'm using all those colours anymore.) Also it uses a lot less energy. Getting those last 100 degrees can cost more that the rest of the firing.

The kiln has what they call a setter cone that sits across a switch that turns the kiln off when it melts. I also have cones inside the kiln that I can watch that melt at the temperature I want. (Haven't got a photo of one. Try googling it. I'll take a photo next time I do a firing.) Haven't got a wizz bang computer controlled thing. Kinda like being fairly low tech. That way I know what to do after the nuclear winter has set in. (Or these days, the ice caps have melted.) They won't throw me off the boat. I know how to make cups and bowls.
    anne-maria.
    T
    ea Lady

(White with none)