Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Yellow tongue is the trade term for chipboard tongue and groove flooring. The 'tongue' is a yellow plastic material which fits into a groove in the edge of the chipboard. I have never seen it sold separately, you can usually find an offcut at a building site.

If you ask for yellow tongue at Bunnings, they would know what they thought you meant, but it would be more than you bargained for
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

Yellow tongue is a strip of plastic about 15mm wide by about 3mm thick by 3600mm long yellow in colour and is the strip that goes in the join of the yellow tongue flooring to lock it together so that it doesn't move up and down. It is ideal for pushing or pulling cables in roofs and walls. Electriction's, Communication workers & Telecom workers use it for pulling and pushing cables. When you see it you will know why. It is both flexible and rigid at the same time.

Thanks. I think I have a better idea of what you are talking about.

It comes in Green and Blue too

The color i believe is the thickness of the timber
    Electricity:
    One Flash and you're ASH

Quote Originally Posted by ReP0 View Post
    I keep hearing about this but in reality I have no idea what it is. If I went to bunnings and asked for yellow tongue would the guy just stare at me and laugh?

Anyone got pics so the mystery is cleared up for me once and for all?
    It's only the piece of plastic that is used as a tongue in the particleboard flooring. Yellow in 18mm thick sheets and red in 25mm thick. The board is manufactured with a groove in both edges and into one this loose plastic tongue is inserted to form a tongue and groove joint. It is very handy for anyone doing reno's but you still have to drill the holes before it can be threaded through.
    Cheers
    Bob

Thanks everyone. Seems like a handy bit of "offcut" to have. Will be keeping my eye out for it but unfortunately it seems like it's the type of thing tradies would come across during their work rather than regular joes.

Have a look in the next skip you walk past. I chucked out a heap of it a couple of years ago.
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

Default My plan was to use a stud finder to locate crossmembers in the wall and cut a gyprock

Not sure if you intend to cut a series of holes, ie at each noggin, but I suggest one single strip as deep and wide as it needs to be.

I have found it easier to patch one big piece back in than a couple of smaller pieces so don't be shy when marking out where to cut! Good luck, Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Ronaldo451 View Post
    Not sure if you intend to cut a series of holes, ie at each noggin, but I suggest one single strip as deep and wide as it needs to be.

I have found it easier to patch one big piece back in than a couple of smaller pieces so don't be shy when marking out where to cut! Good luck, Ron
    It's kind of funny because I was just thinking the exact same thing actually while I was marking out the wall just then. Bugger cutting 3-4 small squares. I'll just cut down most of the wall starting from the first noggin at the top and the width of the vertical "noggins" so that each side of the plater cut sits on a vertical "noggin" so I don't need to do too much re-enforcing when I patch it back. It'll also mean better access with the drill rather than working in a cramped little box area.

Got all my cat6 wiring and connectors. Just waiting for the 6way keystone plates to come from the US. Couldn't source a 6way plate without paying through the nose here, plenty of 4 ways though.

I know its not in the woodwork forum spirit, but, have you considered going wireless? For computers, a wireless router modem at an existing phone socket should allow PC access throughout your house. You can get wireless phones and also wireless TV signal links too.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Rex View Post
    I know its not in the woodwork forum spirit, but, have you considered going wireless? For computers, a wireless router modem at an existing phone socket should allow PC access throughout your house. You can get wireless phones and also wireless TV signal links too.
    T-Rex

You must of missed his original post.

I hate retrofitting wiring in old houses. I thought wireless would be fine but it's performance sucked for what I want and you can't have wirless aerial connections so in for a penny, in for a pound as they say. I'd hire a tradesman in a second but am on a budget which won't allow it.

Default Yellow Tongue pic

Yellow tongue is a long strip of semi rigid plastic. It comes as the tongue in chipboard flooring. It is used to help secure two sheets of flooring together. It is useful for cable work as it has the right combination of stiffness and flexibility for passing wires.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Rex View Post
    Yeh I do like to stream data around the house (HDTV) and be on the net downloading at the same time. I found the bandwidth was just pitiful and can't handle it anymore. I used to have wire running around the place and although unsightly it was a superior solution so I figured I'd go all out this time. I'll leave wireless for when I walk out onto the verandah or I'm sitting outside and am the only one using it. Add to this that the amount of coax outlets is extremely limited in the house and I needed to expand it was an o brainer to just go and wire it all in one go.

Quote Originally Posted by gpkennedy View Post
    <snip>
    Thanks for the pic