Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

It probably all depends what line rental costs you are paying. When I transferred to OPTUS broadband last year I bundled my phone with it and because I had an ABN I got it cheaper again and it works out to approx $18.00 / month now. Combine this cost with VOIP charges ($10.00 / month + $0.10 / call) I am getting away with about $35.00 / month . This was previously $100.00 plus.

I kept my landline as VOIP doesn't recognise some numbers such as the local pizza shop etc that have numbers starting with 13...... and for when the power goes out as well. You do get another number with your VOIP but you still retain your original and if the VOIP is hooked up correctly it will all ring on the same phone.

I personally don't find the call quality to be as good but for the price I am happy

Cheers

Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Wood Butcher View Post
    I don't know if this is true or not but I was once told that so long as a phone line has not been physically disconnected at the exchange you can still use it to call 000 even if the line is not active.

May be a crock but you never know.
    If the phone still has dialtone, yes.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

Criagb,
    I should clarify something regarding keeping a normal number. I found out that voip suppliers can offer you a normal phone number which can be used for incoming calls (i.e. someone calls your new normal number and it gets transfered to your voip number/phone).

This new number can be "located" in any area eg it could be a Sydney number even if you live in Cairns. It would allow callers from Sydney to call you for the cost of a local call.

Anyway, if you want to keep your current number, it might be worth checking with a voip supplier, if they can port your current number.

Just to complicate things though - you can only avoid paying line rental if you have cable or satellite (2 way) internet access. You will still need to pay for line rental if you run DSL over the phone lines.

Clear as mud ain't it???
    Cheers.

Vernon.

Yep I have cable internet - see above.

I'm going to have to talk to a VoIP provider as you say. I just thought that some forum members had maybe already done this.

Cheers
    Craig