Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by masoth View Post
    In July it will be 46 years since I flew back to Australia after a couple of years on active service - now, I'm not New South Wales born but seeing the bridge from the plane REALLY got the emotions acting-up, and the Australian flag truely grabs the attention of service men and women whenever and where ever they come upon it sudenly/unexpectedly.
    I don't accept the intentional/unintentional sarcasm of dazzler's post, quote:
    'Dont forget the " Ï fought and died under that flag rubbish".'

soth
    No sarcasm my friend.

There is irony in the fact that Australians have gone to war to protect freedom on one hand and yet hold it in contempt on the other with free speech.

I was making an observation. Honest apologies if it genuinely upset anyone but it is worth a moments thought.

cheers

dazzler

Quote Originally Posted by silentC View Post
    Flags are symbols. Of course no one fights for a flag, they fight for what the flag represents. So the flag becomes a symbol of what they are fighting for.

Love Fifteen.

Doh!

On the news the other night there was a story on a Gold Coast Real
    Estate office that was flying the QLD flag, Aussie flag, and the Eureka flag. The local council sent him a cranky letter saying that the Eureka flag is not recognised and that it was blatant advertising that has not been condoned by the council itself. oh yeah if he did not remove the flag they were going to fine him some ludicrous amount.

I am sorry but even I recall being taught about the Eureka Stockade and if that ain't as Aussie as they come then I am in the wrong country. Can someone make sense of this codswallop?

Pete
    If you are never in over your head how do you know how tall you are?

Except for the association with the BLF

- the Euerka flag is a pearler!

A true expression of the citizens thoughts of the government of the day.

Bob

Now, duck, get ready to swerve, grab flakjacket and helmet and watch for incoming.........

having had many dealings with the Gold Coast City Council, it's not the flag that has the problem............

sf

Unhappy

The original question was only concerning the direction of the flag - no hint of political or other agenda intended
    Obviously got caught up in an argument I had no intention of making! But thats the nature of the forum
    I think, therefore I am... unable to get anything finished!

Quote Originally Posted by Moo73 View Post
    The original question was only concerning the direction of the flag - no hint of political or other agenda intended
    Obviously got caught up in an argument I had no intention of making! But thats the nature of the forum
    Thats whats so great about this forum. Its like a beer at the pub. The conversation flows, debates rage, lessons learned and we mostly stay friends at the end

Quote Originally Posted by silentC View Post
    Flags are symbols. Of course no one fights for a flag, they fight for what the flag represents. So the flag becomes a symbol of what they are fighting for.
    Unfortunately flags are symbols of meaning that can be used in many ways of which those working for a just cause are but one. A big problem I have with flags are the number of politicians, union officials, salesmen, religious leaders, lawyers, sports people etc who have "rorted and lied" under an Aussie flag??