Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

while I certainly appreciate the workmanship that went into making those doors, I fee like I am in Gradma's place each time I look at them - Would you replace them with Arts and Crafts style doors or just a regular pair of French doors? (or solids?) ........... or am I reading it wrong and that is just a single door? I couldn't see the doors well in any of the other pics.

have fun
    Steve
    Kilmore (Melbourne-ish)
    Australia

....catchy phrase here

regarding the columns - I 'believe' you have two on the front yeah? If so, I think one will be alleged decoration only, so you may want to think about reinstating it to original with a single outer brick column, that tapers to the top, or a brick pier with a pair of square dressed 4 or 5 inch posts.
    Steve
    Kilmore (Melbourne-ish)
    Australia

....catchy phrase here

???? that flower is passionfruit.
    There was a young boy called Wyatt
    Who was awfully quiet
    And then one day
    He faded away
    Because he overused White

Floorsanding in Canberra and Albury.....

@seriph1: yeah i feel the same but i seen it quite a bit in homes around the suburb. got any pics of some good art and craft style doors? i was thinking white 10 glass panel french doors if anything new. yes they is french to the kitchen - 2 x 720mm doors

@seriph1: i'd prolly lean towards the brick pier with the dressed posts. and then put some of those wood mouldings.

@namtrack: yes i believe they are. found them down the street. didnt know what they were till i saw in the Sunday times lifestyle liftout. around my suburb are many fruit trees - massive mulberries and blueberries, lotsa lemons, mandarins, paw paw, macadamia, figs, grapes. i think there were alot of italians in these parts to perth? I have banana, lemon, apricot (i think), macadamia and overhanging from the neighbour some juicy grapes.

I will dig some up and post - or a website where you can see them
    Steve
    Kilmore (Melbourne-ish)
    Australia

....catchy phrase here

a few ideas here:

http://www.alpineglass.com/doors/arts_and_crafts/

http://www.jeld-wen.com/_pdf/brochur..._craftsman.pdf

http://www.pompeiglass.com/images/in...20door-web.pdf

Not all of these are links to Craftsman style or Arts & Crafts style doors only, but you will see what I am driving at..... man, the Yanks do some bloody nice work on a big scale.
    Steve
    Kilmore (Melbourne-ish)
    Australia

....catchy phrase here

here are the doors in full.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/89303063@N00/291451083/

will cost about $380 to fix them up. there is about 11 panels missing or cracked. worth it? replacing them i'd be happy to do if i could sell these and recover some costs.

im not really into the art and craft door style for french. but i do like some of the glassed doors in the pompeiglass site.

hmmmmmmmm!!!!????

i'll think long and hard about this... again

Hi LegacyGT,

We have a 1920's Edwardian house cottage in South Perth. After 28 years ownership we have just about finished restoring and rennovating and I can see you have a lot to do. Our (coloured "windmill theme" leadlighting) required a fair bit of repairing but has been well worth it and really makes the place especially at night.

RE Leadlight doors. It depends how authentic you want to be in your restoration. Personally I would keep those doors. You might find that scraping the old finish off the timber lightens them up a little reducing the "grandama" effect.

We got a lot of our ideas from looking at houses in the neighborhood and kept the retorations and rennovations as simple as possible.

Howdy BobL,

Got any pics of your eddie? im not too far in vic park. a friend has a block on lawler st near you. Yes alot of work - is an understatement!

yeah i we have decided that we are gonna repair these doors and paint them white. then make the decision.

i havent been to many houses as yet but will do. plenty of home opens now that the market has kinda slowed down (but still the interest rate rises)

BTW: perth is the best place on earth

Be a shame to get rid of them, they are classic art deco 1920s and go with the house. Either renovate in period or go totally out, depends on what you like and how the market will see it if you are doing a reno & sell. I like them but that's just me.