<o =""></o>
    Spelling mistake.
    <o =""></o>
    Honest.
    <o =""></o>
    Bloody typos.

Quote Originally Posted by Doughboy View Post
    Yes talk about luck indeed makka.
    BTW what did the german roach arrive in?

Did you have an infestation of Germans? You poor bugger...............

Pete
    Indeed they took over everything as they do.

Quote Originally Posted by bsrlee View Post
    The termites are probably living in the old sleepers - this should make them an easy target for the exterminators as they can be found & poisoned easily.

The tree sounds like its got some kind of borers in the sapwood/bark, which are slowly strangling the tree by ringbarking it on the inside. After they have weakened it, it will get fungal infestation (rot) and probably termites. When it is felled you could do your mates who do wood turning a favour with so
    me green turning blanks instead of having it chipped.

Active termites do not leave visible holes on the outside of timber or live trees - they carefully cover up any holes with mud/sawdust mix, and can eat timber until there is a paper thick layer without coming into sight. One thing to look for is the trails they make up brick walls and over 'termite caps' which are made of the mud mix, about pencil thick - its the first thing 'pest inspectors' look for.

Damn Firefox errors. Here goes again.

So termites and borers. whew. Maybe getting rid of all the sleepers is the safest option. Pain because I have to re-do all of the garden borders.

This isn't what you mean by termite trails -
    (think they might be wasp mounds)

Back again makka - how big is your block? Seems to me that ripping out your sleepers might be overkill. They will feed there for a while, and move on to whatever else they can find. Often this can be old buried roots - or your house - or simply another tree in the yard. One of the biggest problems around here anyway, is that come the right time of the year (usually toward the end of summer I think) termites take to the air and sure as hell brand new queens will fly onto the block somewhere and start the destructive process all over again.

Prob with the modern sprays is that I think they all have a very short life, and need to be repeated every 12 month sor so for ongoing protection. We were a bit lucky in as much as we had a thorough spray of the house done in the last month that Victorian exterminators were allowed to use the long-acting gear - 15 years, and we are into about our 12th year I think.

Still reckon the best bet is to look at setting up some traps around the place - but your pest fella will be able to put you onthe right track for long-term protection.
    Life is just a leap of faith
    Spread your arms and hold your breath
    And always trust your cape

Quote Originally Posted by woodsprite View Post
    Hey makka - good move getting the termite guy in. Mind you I doubt you will ever get rid of the bugga's. If they are in the area they are in the area. Short of putting barriers of some sort arounf your perimeter you may always have some wandering over to your place for a feed, even if the guy can kill the current nest. We have had our couple of acres checked and sprayed a couple of times, and the termites keep coming back. As the bloke siad - we can kill every nest on our block, but the neighbours block will also have termites (they are rife in this area) who will eventually come back to our place.

There are some good web sites about how to make (read copy) termite traps and about where to place them. Trouble is getting your hands on the powder to put in a trap if the trap attracts termites.

When I moved into this place 30 years ago, found termites in the architraves in the bathroom. Panic! Spray with mortein, killed em all - or so I thought - but they just moved into the laundry and kept on chewing.

Good luck with getting rid og them - they should not be ignored.
    Jeff
    Yeah, I will be getting the pest guy in this week. Hopefully the termite infestation is only small (that railway sleeper only) - and can be dealt with, no dramas. I seriously hope it isn't the roaches all over again!!!!!!!!!

I googled termite remedies, and they suggest mixing some chemical with blood & bone and relaying the garden beds with it. Honestly, I can't be bothered, especially after my long, hard battle with the german roaches - which worked in the end, and following just about every known remedie. I am hopeing that the termite dude will be able to fix it for me and I can carry on with everything else.

lots of termite info here...
    http://www.greenpest.com.au/

Quote Originally Posted by Bleedin Thumb View Post
    Yep that white gum really looks crook compared to the one behind. Lucky youre getting rid of it!

Geez its come down to this eh? I have to quote myself. no one wants to come out and play ..alrighty then.

Sorry Makka, just playin with ya. there is nothing wrong with your gum tree. It looks different from the other one because its probably a different species (or variant at least).

1.The back one looks like Euc. citriodora the front one could be a type of grey box or scribbly gum (explains those marks you see on the trunk).

2.Termites quite often live in trees thats how you get hollow logs, they dont do that much damage to the living parts, not enough to justify chopping down or disfiguring by lopping.

3.Leaving a dead tree/stump that is infected with termites in your yard is a good thing as it gives them a home so they dont want to migrate which is different to when they swarm.

4.When they swarm in August on those loverly hot balmy evenings you cant control where they land so dont worry.

5. Get the pest blokes in by all means but get them to put a barrier around your house, no need to wory about your garden.

6. Please stop spraying half cans of Morteen etc around. these chemicals are doing you harm. Let the experts do their job and lighten up - theyre only bugs.

and PS find another supplier for your milky ways. or check the use by date.

Please stop spraying half cans of Morteen etc around
    Also, if you kill them, then the pest guy wont be able to bait them.

We wiped out three nests at our last place and, in the words of Jeff Wayne, "still they come". :eek:

You can't wipe out all the termites in the area, the best thing is to stop them from coming into your house by one of the approved methods (calling the pest guy in is a good start).

Back again makka - how big is your block? Seems to me that ripping out your sleepers might be overkill. They will feed there for a while, and move on to whatever else they can find. Often this can be old buried roots - or your house - or simply another tree in the yard. One of the biggest problems around here anyway, is that come the right time of the year (usually toward the end of summer I think) termites take to the air and sure as hell brand new queens will fly onto the block somewhere and start the destructive process all over again.

Prob with the modern sprays is that I think they all have a very short life, and need to be repeated every 12 month sor so for ongoing protection. We were a bit lucky in as much as we had a thorough spray of the house done in the last month that Victorian exterminators were allowed to use the long-acting gear - 15 years, and we are into about our 12th year I think.

Still reckon the best bet is to look at setting up some traps around the place - but your pest fella will be able to put you onthe right track for long-term protection.

Heya Jeff, Thanks for the info, very helpful.
    Block is very big.

I am relieved to hear you don’t think I should rip out the sleepers! I wanted to get back into the gardening but I wasn't sure if the sleepers might need to go.

That long acting spray sounds good - wish it was still around.

I know I need to take precautions. I wanted to ignore the problem, but I don't want to regret it. It was only a small nest and hopeing there aren't too many around. My friend said that they were in her yard, they left it and eventually they came inside and got into the wooden door frames.

Quote Originally Posted by Bleedin Thumb View Post
    Geez its come down to this eh? I have to quote myself. no one wants to come out and play ..alrighty then.

Sorry Makka,
    cruel! just playin with ya. No harm there is nothing wrong with your gum tree. It looks different from the other one because its probably a different species (or variant at least). - Reason for posting the pics... I have no idea.

1.The back one looks like Euc. citriodora the front one could be a type of grey box or scribbly gum (explains those marks you see on the trunk). Possibly, but they were planted at the same time, so I assumed they were the same.

2.Termites quite often live in trees thats how you get hollow logs, they dont do that much damage to the living parts, not enough to justify chopping down or disfiguring by lopping. Okay maybe I should think about it. The lopper came around this morining, he said it looks like there could be borers in it.

3.Leaving a dead tree/stump that is infected with termites in your yard is a good thing as it gives them a home so they dont want to migrate which is different to when they swarm.
    Sounds odd. Will look into it. Hopefully I can leave it, save money and time.

4.When they swarm in August on those loverly hot balmy evenings you cant control where they land so dont worry. okay

5. Get the pest blokes in by all means but get them to put a barrier around your house, no need to wory about your garden. That's what I was hoping to hear.

6. Please stop spraying half cans of Morteen etc around. these chemicals are doing you harm. Let the experts do their job and lighten up - theyre only bugs. Okay, see it was my initial reaction. Half-can - slight exaggeration. Did find out though, that it is important to not use spray on them as it frightens them and they spread to other areas.

and PS find another supplier for your milky ways. or check the use by date.They came from K-Mart. I no longer buy chocs from there and milky-ways from anywhere else. Of course I checked the useby date. Tasted wrong, so I stored them in the bread box for a month (planning to call the manufacturer as it was the 3rd pack I'd bought that tasted off) Rang Mars corporation, they informed me that they were just moth worms, common in warehouses that store the chocolates. Gave me a voucher and told me to dispose of the packet. Before long my kitchen was infested with moths.

Default Termite Info

Try this web address. There's a heap of info on this site - you can also search under Termites for a heap more. I've just finished producing a DVD on termite management for BSA here in Qld and I would not hesitate to get them checked - it's amazing where they will get in. If you have some near the house - chances are there's a nest in a tree or in the ground somewhere nearby. The advice is usually - don't disturb them but call a termite management contractor ASAP.

Cheers,

Graeme C

Hi Makka,

1) Those are wasp nests. The termite tracks look to be made of something similar, but definitely go from place to place, generally ground to somewhere with wood.

2) I don't know how good this is, but I have seen advice on a 'Home & Garden' type show that you can bang in stakes of h3 to h5 treated pine into your garden. Termites munch on those and get a tummy ache big time.

3) one that does work is 'Termidor' - it uses capsules of termite bait laced with chemicals that stop the workers from shedding their skin, so they essentially implode.

My neighbour found white ants in the dividing fence rail so I called in a highly recommended exterminator who enlightened me somewhat and a lot of what he said has already been posted. However he regards the ants as natural scavengers who clean up diseased trees etc and while they are doing that they are not eating your home.

Once you discover ants if you remove the mud tunnel where they gain access or move the infested timber the ants will die within 24hrs because the cant return to their nearby nest. He said I could spend thou$and$ with baits, boring holes in the paving and spraying with soluble poison that disapates very quickly. I have scratched a small groove between my pavers and the footing and poured old sump oil in saturating the ground. Likewise on my low sleeper retaining wall, I have pushed a crowbar down making a hole behind into which I have poured litres of sump oil. I have poured sump oil around the eaten post and fence rail. White ants wont cross the oil.

He also told me what to look for and other steps to take around the rest of the house etc, and surprisingly only charged me $50
    Jack

2,500 is a rip off - they seem to make money out of the little traps which may or not prove anything and often don't perform a search tailored for your propety. How's your drainage? Not all termite species like houses. Termites are amazing things and there's no telling what they will actually do.

Find out whether you actually have any, and spray and treat. That cost us the same - a proper treated barrier and we caught a nest.

You should be more relieved you are forewarned and forearmed. Get an inspection - with double brick you need to see evidence of trails leading to the roof. They can't get into furniture without bulding trails through something else to get to it - they like cover, dark and moisture so also sort any drainage issues before any spray barrier treatment.

Nests will swarm on a warm, himid night, I saw my first winged termite inthe house last Thurs on the TFB. I was not unduly concerned - there will be hundreds of nests within a few square k's. You only have a problem if they swarm from within your home. I counted 3 in a night, and 2 were dead the next morning.

The queen has to mate with another mate from another nest - and find a good spot to nest - its not like every termite you see is a problem - many will die before they mate or nest.

The year we had a problem we had a nest nearby - when they swarmed there were so many dead termites inthe pool - if it happens again I'll know we have a problem.

I will be carrying out an inspection soon.

Termidor we use is 5-7 years or so. I'd be happy to do it more often. It can not be detected. There's no point in having a termite go around the barrier and find another way.