Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com...mber.php?u=243

You might run into Gino of the above who's visiting over there now.

However Shane I wish you and your lady all the very best with your up and coming nuptials and the adventure thru ITALY thats to happen later on.

Am planning a Mediterranean cruise out of Italy next year for SWMBO for her big birthday to revisit some of the sights of our time spent there in the 70's.
    Can't remember much as it was a blue funk from Wo to go back then but you'll be all cultured out by the time you get home.
    Enjoy the countryside and all it has to offer ..but don't come back a wino ...moreover a connoisseur of good reds

Hope you enjoy your time in italy.

CHEERS
    Johnno

Everyone has a photographic memory, some just don't have film.

We had the opportunity to go to Italy a few years back. The best mistake I ever made traveling. We went with a couple that were our good friends in America and we let them plan the whole trip. He is a millionaire so as should be expected he thinks like one, no expense was spared. He booked everything for us we just had to show up and pay our half. In just over three weeks we spent about 15000AUD, they spend much more (They spent $1200USD for a set of wine glasses from Venice for example, ours were seconds and only cost us $200 ). It would have been much more but they sprang for our tickets over. We stayed in some incredible places: In the heart of Venice for four days, 100 yards from the Spanish Steps in Rome, A fantastic villa in Cortona... If I had known it was going to cost that much I would have not in any way shape or form gone and would have missed out on what was the best trip I have ever been on. So take as much money as possible and live it!!!! Oh ya take a small set of binoculars with you that will easily fit in your pocket. It's the best way to see the art work on the ceilings of the incredible buildings. One thing I really regret not doing was hiring a third year Roman History student to take us around Rome and explain to us what we were looking at, the place is absolutely fascinating as is Venice. It's also where I discovered I really like classical music.

When you are in Florence get the train to Pisa and go up the Tower. It has been stabilised and reopened to the public. The views from the top are fantastic and climbing up the steps to the top is an experience in itself.

In Venice the island of Murano where the glass factories are is worth a trip. Wife got a glass dish and some lollies made of glass. The salesman sold them as weightwatchers lollies.

The water buses (vaporettos) are a great way to get around. Get a pass for the time you are there and ride them everywhere.

The ice cream (gelato) is to die for. Best we have ever had anywhere in the world.

Enjoy your trip.

Thankyou ALL for the info! Have printed it all out and will be taking it along with us.

I wasn't too keen on the whole Italy thing, but the more I look into it, the better its sounding!

Going to Italy... make sure you bring back yourself a nice quality panel saw!

Quote Originally Posted by Harry72
    Going to Italy... make sure you bring back yourself a nice quality panel saw!

Nah, I already got one of them though its still in storage until I get myself a home with room for a shed. This townhouse living is good, but bugger all room for hobbies

The Island you're talking about is Murano, yes.. go see it. The famous bright coloured Murano glass comes from there. If I remember right there was a time when Venice moved all glass blowing factories to Murano because of the high fire danger.. they also forbid contact between the blass blowers and customers to protect the secrets of making this particular style glass. While visiting there we were told ( not sure if it's true tho) that any artist leaving the country was hunted down and murdered.
    Another island worth a visit is the lace makers island : Burano. I'd think there are tours that let you do that all in one afternoon.

In Venice go to some of the lesser known back alleys ( even if they smell a bit) , you can find glass factories there too and watch them blow all sorts of things from vases, to bowls and cute little animals.

Don't know if it's still done, but on some tourist routes people used to walk up to you offering to sell you really expensive gold jewely for a fraction of the cost.... my mother fell for that one... bought a couple of braclets... 15 years later had a candlelit celebration when handing them over to me. Thought maybe I better have them evaluated and insured..... ha.. the jeweler in TX laughed himself silly.... valued them at about 10 bucks each! lol Still.... they make good converstation pieces! lol

Italians love to haggle.. if you buy anywhere.. not just markets... don't pay the first price offered. I think they are almost disappointed if you pay right away. I also found they are really impressed if you have gone to the trouble to learn a few basic italian phrases, most english speaking tourists expect the world to understand english.

If you go to "lago di Garda" visit Sirmione... it's a long half island and at the tip is an old castle, don't forget to drive through the old road that goes around the lake , through all the old tunnels.. beautiful views!

Most of all go get yourself some wonderful memories!
    Juvy