Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Adsl

The Netspace home plan for $39.95 has a 10Gig/mth limit. Even with 2 computers here on cable, we would only use 2-3 Gig so I don't think 10 is a problem for 99% of users.
    If at first you don't succeed, give something else a go. Life is far too short to waste time trying.

We can't even get hooked up to broadband even though Telstra keeps sending us material saying we can have all this stuff, when we reply saying yes please they then say oh sorry not in your area, and we live within 200 mtrs. of an exchange that is connected to fibre optic. I wish they'd make up their minds.
    Arch

Quote Originally Posted by vsquizz
    I used a cable connection the other day...Smokin..unbelievable makes a broadband 1.5 connection look slow.

If you think that ADSL is as fast as lightning then the Optus cable connection that I have must be at warp speed.

Oh, and never any problems like with Telstra.

Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by vsquizz
    I have broadband at 512k from iinet, no contract, no extra charges At All and $50.00 a month cause I have the fax line on iiphone for long distance calls. You can get the same package for $40/month at 256k.

I'd always go for an ISP that simply reduces the speeds once you go over a limit rather than charge you an obscene rates per Mb. As for contracts..forget it, they were invented by company accountants. Since changing to iinet I have had two hours in two years where I couldn't get online. The reliability and performance absolutley beats that other mob...now what were they called..ah umm..can't remember the bad old days anymore.
    Same here Squizzy. I paid a lot less for my modem. USB adsl modems are selling around $99-00. I have an Alcatel Speed Touch Pro modem/4 port router, but am also using a 8 port hub as I run 5 PCs and a print server on my home system. Two Twin daughters studying computers, each with a personal computer, an experimental computer between them, my personal and my sign computer. The print server drives a laser printer as well as a bubblejet printer.

I have 12 gig normal time, 12 gig special time a month before being shaped from 512 to 96. With 3 of us going mad on the net, we still have never used it enough to get shaped and we've had this going for over 2 years. Great service from Iinet!

Quote Originally Posted by gatiep
    Same here Squizzy. I paid a lot less for my modem. USB adsl modems are selling around $99-00. I have an Alcatel Speed Touch Pro modem/4 port router, but am also using a 8 port hub as I run 5 PCs and a print server on my home system. Two Twin daughters studying computers, each with a personal computer, an experimental computer between them, my personal and my sign computer. The print server drives a laser printer as well as a bubblejet printer.

I have 12 gig normal time, 12 gig special time a month before being shaped from 512 to 96. With 3 of us going mad on the net, we still have never used it enough to get shaped and we've had this going for over 2 years. Great service from Iinet!

Joe, I have the NetComm Router Modem after hearing a few complaints about the D-Link ones which were doing the rounds at the time...whatever. I have the network set-up with three machines. SWMBO is forever downloading scapbooking stuff and messing around with photos. I download technical stuff and she does some on-line games and the best we hit was about 4.2 gig and I think I had up to 8gig before shaping. I think iinet upgraded our account awhile back.

Just a tip for the ADSL newbies, re-boot your modem once a week, it helps although mine has been turned on for a couple of months sometimes without any drama.

And yous cable buggers can stop braggin an bugger off .

I find it hard to believe that at my Brothers farm 14 crow kms from Busselton they can't even get ISDN, let alone broadband. In fact they consider themselves lucky when the phone works and the power gets above 210 volts!.

Cheers
    Squizzy

"It is better to be ignorant and ask a stupid question than to be plain Stupid and not ask at all" {screamed by maths teacher in Year 8}