Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thumbs up

Firstly g'day and welcome to the forums Brent. Good to have you here.

An interesting, if slightly esoteric discussion gentlemen. How about some illustrations from you to demonstrate the points you make? Please

Thanks for the input Brent.

Why do you say a micro-bevel is important with turning tools?
    Cheers, Ern

Thanks for the help.

And yes I am off to Launceston on Monday

And I am 99% sure they will teach us all of this, but I missed out on the 'Tool Start' program...so I was just after some info on how others do it

Cheers for the help
    Rhys
    Buy the best tools you can afford and you'll only cry once...

Thumbs up

All the best for you in Tawegia Rhys.

We have friends down there at Little Beach, Not so far from you really. I,ll give them a buzz when I get home and see if they are willing to put up with you fro a weekend break sometime. Only if this suits you, of course.

If your grinder will take two wheels get a 60 & 40 grit aluminium oxide .These cut fast and cool .Join the two toolrests with a single strip of timber this gives a very stable rest .Find your angle and lock your fingers on the cutter and use them as a stop to ride against the rest , don't let go till the job is done.Lock your elbows to your sides and move your upper body .Same upper body movement when you get to your stones.Use the whole stone .
    Think of your giinder as your first stone ,use it often but don.t take much off .I have water stones and a hard black arkansas .I use micros and only stay at one stone long enough to raise a burr on each side then on to the next .My stones last ,my tools last and I can shave within 60 seconds of grinding. I use these edges for rough and fine work.Use the edge of your bench as a strop, the palm of your hand if you want to showoff.(wide cutters only) I've had these stones and tools for close to 40 years and they are like new .This works for me ,it just takes a bit of practice .
    Cheers, Bill

Default I get mine sharpened

Hi Guys,

I used to struggle and sharpen them myself or to be more honest I got my father to do it as he was a old school builder. But as luck has it we live too far away from each other now.

So I get these guys to come and sharpen everything for me now. Prices are quite reasonable and .... well its just easier for me.

Click on this link to go to their website, tool sharpening

I'm in Melbourne so I know they have a few people travelling around Melbourne and I think they have some in Sydney but not sure about Queensland.

Cheers.

Pete