Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Co-operation between nations? Why is that notion always wheeled out during the olympics. It's all about competition between nations. Covering yourself and your country in glory whilst beating everyone else.

I watched the waterpolo and there didnt seem to be an cooperatin' goin on there.
    Cheers,

Adam

------------------------------------------

I can cure you of your Sinistrophobia

Wake up and smell the roses.

Australia will always flood the media with Australian winners---- don't hold your breath, however to see coverage if they lose, especially coverage of the winners.

How much have we seen of Mike Diamond? Or the mens relay team? Did we see any coverage of the winners in those events?

Default Cold August Night

Diamond was interviewed by Andrew Denton last night.

Seemed like a straight shooter to me.

- Wood Borer

Quote Originally Posted by Wood Borer
    Seemed like a straight shooter to me.

Dan
    Is there anything easier done than said?
    - Stacky. The bottom pub, Cobram.

why has nobody complained about the lack of synchronised swimming coverage??

I guess there has been a lot of hype over the swimming these last few years, which is why its probably shown more. 7 figures more people will watch it.

Heard once from a friend in the US that their coverage focussed on their athletes, so they didnt see a lot of events like swimming etc... guess we arent much different down here too.
    Brett

Only Robinson Crusoe could get everything done by Friday!

Quote Originally Posted by oges
    errrr....because it's silly?

HH
    Always look on the bright side...

I think there's a bit more to it than all that. I was watching the other day and they were showing the gymnastics. No Australians competing while I was watching.

Of course they will give more time to sports where Australia is doing well. Which country doesn't? Maybe Britain because they're not doing well in anything

They also focus on the sports that are popular. There's hell of a lot going on and they can't show it all. Joe Punter would go ape if they didn't provide plenty of coverage of the things that interest him. Do a straw poll and see how many people really care about who's winning the shooting if it's not an Australian. I bet the answer is bugger all.

SBS has always set itself apart from mainstream TV. They are expected to show stuff the other channels don't so of course they do. Don't forget SBS was set up to cater for people from other countries. It's their charter to show foreign language programmes, foreign sports etc.

Personally, I don't bother with it much. I watch some of the highlights but I've got better things to do than sit in front of the TV. I just think that people expect too much of commercial TV. They give us what they think we want because they need to sell advertising and that means catering to the masses, not the enthusiasts.
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

Quote Originally Posted by LineLefty
    Beach has chicks in bikinis.

And the problem is ?

Because there's been plenty of synchronised diving to watch.

P

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

Dear Administrators,

For the next Olypiad the thought has crossed my mind that we could enter a synchronised woodworking team, eg: planing, routing, dovetailing (by hand of course) and looking at the content of this thread, we would be well qualified with a whining or bullsh!t team.
    Back to something more serious.... :confused:
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by Iain
    Dear Administrators,

For the next Olypiad the thought has crossed my mind that we could enter a synchronised woodworking team, eg: planing, routing, dovetailing (by hand of course) and looking at the content of this thread, we would be well qualified with a whining or bullsh!t team.
    Back to something more serious.... :confused:
    In all seriousness, what the hell is an olympiad?
    Cheers,

Adam

------------------------------------------

I can cure you of your Sinistrophobia

olympiad

\O*lym"pi*ad\ ([-o]*l[i^]m"p[i^]*[a^]d), n. [L. olympias, -adis, Gr. 'olympia`s, -a`dos, fr. 'O`lympos Olympus, a mountain in Macedonia: cf. F. olympiade.] (Greek Antiq.) A period of four years, by which the ancient Greeks reckoned time, being the interval from one celebration of the Olympic games to another, beginning with the victory of Cor[oe]bus in the foot race, which took place in the year 776 b.c.; as, the era of the olympiads.
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."