Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hardwood sawmills cut GOS (Green off SAW) 27 x 105, KD, then mill.

Hi Ian

I am going to build a 2 door wall cabinet. It finishes at about 175 deep & I wanted to use single boards for the carcass that have reasonable figure. I don't want to join to get the width, I like the look of single wide boards.

I have a benchtop thicknesser & a triton 2000 & a reasonable selection of hand tools, but no jointer (either hand or power - giggest handplane is a jack) I can always joint faces by ripping some rails parallel & then glueing rails to the edges of a board & running this thru the thicknesser. Slow process (due to glue-up) but it works.

I've seen 200 x 22 Sydney Blue Gum flooring advertised a while back & recall thnking how reasonably priced it was - I thought that flooring is usually quite well seasoned, milled pretty true etc, so it might be OK for this project. I guess if I have to locate & prep some sawn boards, so be it!

Hi Ross

I suppose that in your shoes my primary design consideration would be the door hinges
    once I knew the size of those then I'd go looking for boards thick enough to attach them too.

I'll just caution you that what is the unseen face of flooring will be the inside face of your cabinet. If buying flooring, be sure that you are comfortable with whatever profile is milled on thet face appearing on the inside of your cabinet.
    regards from Alberta, Canada

ian