Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

yes I dont disagree that locals councils have performed woefully in some regards, but there is little pressure on their jobs, getting more competition (ex state pollies will need work, at least the ones who can do nothing else) may just force them to smarten their act up.
    And Capt Bligh is selling railways, ports, anything immediately after a boom period when the coffers should be overflowing. Something is badly wrong somewhere. (And I'm a labor voter)
    Mick

avantguardian

Quote Originally Posted by Gingermick View Post
    yes I dont disagree that locals councils have performed woefully in some regards, but there is little pressure on their jobs, getting more competition (ex state pollies will need work, at least the ones who can do nothing else) may just force them to smarten their act up.
    And Capt Bligh is selling railways, ports, anything immediately after a boom period when the coffers should be overflowing. Something is badly wrong somewhere. (And I'm a labor voter)
    Well everyone in Qld is effectively a Labor voter - there is no coherent, unified alternative that is ready to run

Anyhow, Qld is kaput. Me and my friend have been talking about it, and we've decided working in Fed Gv't down in Canberra is the way to go. Councils are broke or in disarray, States are broke, there's only one level of g'vt left with any money, principally because it controls much of the source for the other two...
    Semtex fixes all

Quote Originally Posted by q9 View Post
    Well everyone in Qld is effectively a Labor voter - there is no coherent, unified alternative that is ready to run
    I haven't used "Qld" and "coherent" in one sentence since Joh came on the scene.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Shed View Post
    I haven't used "Qld" and "coherent" in one sentence since Joh came on the scene.
    I won't have any of that!!

Semtex fixes all

Agree totally. Abolish state governments. NSW are the biggest bunch of crooks going around. Anyone paid stamp duty lately. I wrote Morris Iemma a letter last time I had to pay stamp duty, asking what I was getting for my money. I got a reply that basically said that the money goes into the general slush fund and that I should be happy to contribute. Mongrels....
    Bob C.

Never give up.

Well I can tell you, you cant get rid of the beggers. Why? Well they would have to vote themselves out of their cooshy number, and that aint gonna happen. Unless !! now heres a thought, How about instead of a long march we have a ginger march, that'll shake em up.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingermick View Post
    This is an interesting article and thought it might provoke debate. There must be some people in favour of keeping state governments, but I can't think of any reason why.
    Where else are the useless *&%$#@*@$^%&s going to get work, they would all end up in a Centrelink office on the wrong side of the counter.

You should try living in a border community like Albury and Wodonga. The bureaucratic garbage and waste that goes on because of it is phenomenal. We have in effect 5 levels of government in our community; 2 local, 2 state and 1 federal.

ow bugger, that would be unpleasant.
    The only way I can think of to rid us, is to all cast donkey votes. until they surrender power to someone more able than I
    Mick

avantguardian

I try to stay away from these threads but here goes.

As has been said read think tank articles with a grain of salt. IPA has a lot of interesting ideas but they are ultimately right wing propoganda/lobbying machine for some fairly unsavoury characters. The lefties are just fruitcakes and only get media attention because the brain dead journos are luny lefties themselves. You can dress stupidty up as anything you want but it's still stupid.

The council amalgamations were about easy passage for developers, not efficiency or anything else. Bigger councils are less accountable. Councils whole reason to exist is high resolution representation. We in Brisbane have the absurd situation of fewer voters per state member than councillor.

Qld PS numbers grew to a lesser % than the population growth during the period mentioned but it's also true the increases were in managment/admin not front line "workers".

I have advocated for decades to anyone who will listen a 2 tier system with councils based on federal seats, ie 80k voters per council about 15 councillors per council. With about 5k voters per you not only know what party they belong to but their names and addresses. That'll get their attention. Ditch the state governments and leave the federal parliment as is, but give the councils a caucus power to dissolve all levels of gov and call an election. Moreover have fed and council election on the same day, fixed, once every 3 years.

This way we can fix australia one community at a time.

Never happen, too many vested interests.
    I'm just a startled bunny in the headlights of life. L.J. Young.
    We live in a free country. We have freedom of choice. You can choose to agree with me, or you can choose to be wrong.
    Wait! No one told you your government was a sitcom?

Exclamation

Don't know of any system of government that works to the advantage of all - except perhaps the one in Andora.

The corruption and self serving at any level in Oz pales into insignificance compared to what goes on here in Brasil.

For instance the BR 101 is the main north/ south hwy. in Rio State. Rio State has massive oil reserves and oil revenues and yet this hwy. is an overloaded two lane concern. What happened? The state sold the road to private company to raise money for road improvement. None of the money went to the road from what anyone knows. Toll booths are being erected by the company to raise money to build extra toll booths and put up radar traps. A proportion of any excess money goes to the company.

According to the locals the rest goes to politicians.Tha may not be quite true but I suspect there is a fair amount of truth in the story.

I was talking to an ex radio announcer from Brasil while we were in Buzios last week.He sees several problems that are similar to the ones I see in Oz. The big media organizations are too powerful, and in some cases just political lackies.Much of what we see and hear is filtered - defacto censorship. He was in a position to know and I think most of us suspect that to be the case anyway.

This is where I believe the internet could, and should, be a force for good by being a ferocious watchdog.

Another interesting point he made was that in Brasil people cope with a system they see as robbing them blind by joking about it.Isn't that the truth in Oz too??

I guess it comes down to what Will Rogers said: "politicians are funny people. When they make a law it's a joke and when they make a joke it,s a law"