Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Couple of months ago got an olympus u 720 sw
    The one in the add with the dog
    Waterproof to 3 meteres shockproof if dropped 1.5 meters onto tiles, has anti shakky hands technology , stitches panaroma pics together 7.1meg pics 3x optical movies etc etc $530 , great little camera
    Only problem I have found is that you have to use olympus XD cards for the panaroma feature and they cots more than other brands.

Rgds
    Ashore

The trouble with life is there's no background music.

Attachment 29308

Attachment 29309Have a look at the sony dscw50, one thing people don't think of when buying is does it have a veiw finder.Check how many other brands don't. This sony is great value.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Iain
    MOnopod, I use one for the video camera to get nice steady pan shots without all the amateur wobble, works for a still camera too and is compact.
    I have one for my big binoculars, works well.

Another tip is to use a piece of string with a loop in the end.
    You stick ya toe through the loop & wrap the loose end around your camera at a comfortable height & streach the string tight, it takes up an amazing amount of wobble.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rogers
    You stick ya toe through the loop & wrap the loose end around your camera at a comfortable height & streach the string tight.
    Just trying to picture some goose with a piece of string trailing of his thonged toe while walking through the crowds attempting to look normal
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by Iain
    Just trying to picture some goose ....
    Let me see now, I think I do have a picture here somewhere.....
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

We have the Canon Ixus 750, takes SD cards, good colour reproduction and sharp focus, compact and light, no complaints yet - had it for about 6 months.
    If I do not clearly express what I mean, it is either for the reason that having no conversational powers, I cannot express what I mean, or that having no meaning, I do not mean what I fail to express. Which, to the best of my belief, is not the case.
    Mr. Grewgious, The Mystery of Edwin Drood - Charles Dickens

Nikon do one called the L3 which my wife has and the great thing about it is it shoots nice photos straight out of the box. Bad things no optical viewfinder and no histogram.

No What you ask? Well a histogram is a graph of what information you have recorded. You want a nice meaty looking graph that falls down to zero at or before the ends. That way you know you have a good exposure. If it is too far to one end or the other you can give it some under or over exposure to compensate. So the first two things I would look for on a digital camera are the control to under or over expose and a histogram feature. They make a big big difference to the photos you will get.

Studley (who when not hiding in the shed takes pictures for a living)
    Aussie Hardwood Number One

Beachport, South Oz, the best little town on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Studley 2436
    Nikon do one called the L3 which my wife has and the great thing about it is it shoots nice photos straight out of the box. Bad things no optical viewfinder and no histogram.

No What you ask? Well a histogram is a graph of what information you have recorded. You want a nice meaty looking graph that falls down to zero at or before the ends. That way you know you have a good exposure. If it is too far to one end or the other you can give it some under or over exposure to compensate. So the first two things I would look for on a digital camera are the control to under or over expose and a histogram feature. They make a big big difference to the photos you will get.

Studley (who when not hiding in the shed takes pictures for a living)
    Strewth Studley me old china! Speak bloody Aussie for me PLEASE!!!

most of them are made in China Christopha

Studley
    Aussie Hardwood Number One

I drive a Nikon point-and-shoot camera, with five mega-thingys.

Great camera for what I use it for - approx $500 when I got it twelve months ago.

I very rarely use it's five megapixels. Most of the pics I take I scale down to about two megapixels so they are easier to email. Quality still looks fine.

Easy to use, and gets four thumbs up from me.
    Retired member

I will put my two bob in for Canon. I started off with the Powershot 350 back in 1996-1997 great little unit, then the Powershot S10 in 2000ish and I am now hopeful that they will announce a replacement to the S80 at next months launch.

There has been a new range of Canon cameras released last week .....

A good site for reviews is www.dpreview.com
    Now proudly sponsored by Binford Tools. Be sure to check out the Binford 6100 - available now at any good tool retailer.

I have an Olympus C760 and am not pleased. It has a great lens with up to 30x zoom but the autofocus is so slow that the subject is always long gone before the camera has made up its mind.

SWMBO calls it "the whirrer" because of all the autofocus activity. It does have some good features such as a proper viewfinder, ability to save and quickly retrieve several sets of favourite settings ("mymodes"), panoramas, 2 in 1 photos, etc.

The reason I chose it is that it has manual focus ability. Well, sort of. The manual focus is via arrow buttons and is too fiddly for action shots but useful for static shots or to preset a specific focal distance.

However the camera is let down by poor performance in low light conditions and under artificial light. The colours of the subject appear fine through the viewfinder but, as soon as the shutter is pressed, the light balance changes and the result is a washed out shot, usually out of focus as well. I have gradually learned ways of overcoming these difficulties but it is still a P.I.T.A. I had a cheap Canon A410 which gave far better results but gave it to my sister. The Canon gave far more natural colours and really was point-and-shoot with perfect results more often than not.

If I were buying one now, it would definitely be a Canon - either the Ixus 750 which is very stylish and 7.1 megapixels or the Ixus 60 which is 6 megapixels but small enough to fit in a shirt pocket. Both of those have proper viewfinders, 2.5" LCD screens, Lithium-Ion batteries and, like most Canons, they use standard SD cards instead of proprietary cards like the Olympus and Sony. The Ixus 750 is currently advertised at $499 and the Ixus 60 for $369.

regards
    Coldamus

Thanks everyone, good to get your views..........

Beachport, South Oz, the best little town on the planet.

Yes Thanks indeed.....

Quote Originally Posted by Christopha
    You have my attention! ................................. I also need something that might allow for my trembling, wobbling old body.
    SUGGESTIONS PLEASE..
    I'm told that half a bottle of red does wonders for the wobbles.