Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bloody iPods

Go back to a generator run by the back wheel running air horns, should be suitable for air heads. or change you bell sound for a mobil phone ring tone they all dive for their phones when one goes off no matter what the noise level, so they must be attuned to hear that noise above all others.

Rgds

Ashore

South Oz, the big smokey bit in the middle

You could go for the sound of a machine gun firing - that get's people's attention, and for added realism, you could use a real machine gun ... with real bullets

Richard

I'm a grumpy old bastard who hates all this new fangled technology crap and I'll sit here on my computer and use the internet to tell anyone who cares and a few who don't so there

ok I am pretty confused - is this some joke I am just not getting??

Nope.

iPod users get in my way and can't hear my bell. How long till the iPod causes an accident?

Hope that's clearer,

P

Don't worry Anthony, well not until you do get it, then it's too late to get it, cos you already got it, get it? got it ? good.
    Boring signature time again!

I think Anthony is referring to the 'cell phone' exchange, not the iPod problem.

Anthony, if this is so, I think Dan was having a tongue-in-cheek shot at you for using the Seppo term 'cell phone', instead of mobile. I'm sure he's well aware of what a cell phone is but it's part of the seppo-isation that is going on and I'm sure kids will be calling them cell phones soon if not already.
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

Doh!!!

I'm spending too much time during the day thinking about work!!

P

Default ringing our own bell.

Now you know I'm not like Dino or StuartLees flogging my own products but really, we've just completed a major report for Austroads called Pedestrian-Cyclist Conflict Minimisation on Shared
    Paths and Footpaths

http://www.abc.dotars.gov.au/project...eractions.aspx

The final report hasnt been uploaded to their website yet but here are some interesting snippets. Unfortunately thre isnt any data on causes of cycle/ped crashes so I cant give any figures. Would be interesting though.

The reality and perceptions of conflict on paths may not be the same, particularly as people often generalise from limited personal experiences – the single upsetting incident will remain in the mind much more clearly than the large number of uneventful occasions.

Cyclists may not slowdown when overtaking pedestrians, or pedestrians may not move over to let the cyclist pass. The conflict may be exacerbated by inattention by pedestrians using earphones and portable music players, hence
    unable to hear the cyclist.

Concern was consistently expressed about the lack of use of warning devices by cyclists to alert pedestrians of their approach. At the same time, it was recognised that pedestrians’ responses to a warning may themselves be unpredictable, for a range of reasons, including that the pedestrian may not hear the warning (eg due to hearing impairment or earphones), leading to uncertainty and conflict. This may be best addressed by advice that cyclists exercise caution (including slowing down) when approaching pedestrians, particularly from behind, especially if there is no indication that the pedestrian is aware of their presence. It was also stated that warning devices such as bells are sometimes used as a form of aggression, with the cyclist assuming right of way once the warning had been given.

I didnt do this report so I'm not an expert but it seems that the focus is on what can be done to the physical infrastructure to prevent c onflict between cyclists and peds. There really isnt much you can do about human behaviour. Codes of conduct, education campagins, they realyl only reach those who are courteous anyway.

Unfortunately its up to the cyclist. But we need to provide cyclists with the infrastructure to allow them to handle situations, eg, wide paths, with a good dirt shoulder to allow them to scoot around the ipodded power walkers.

Some of the solutions you cna buy a quite interesting. Theres this device that you allows you to create a car-like vibration in the pavement which alerts peds in front of you. Air horns work too!
    Cheers,

Adam

------------------------------------------

I can cure you of your Sinistrophobia

Another good idea is signs along the path saying something like:

"Consider that you cant hear the cyclists coming if you've got earphones and stay on your side of the path"
    Cheers,

Adam

This may be best addressed by advice that cyclists exercise caution (including slowing down) when approaching pedestrians
    Unfortunately its up to the cyclist
    See, this is the type of unhelpful advice we get from the government all the time. They're all on about 'shared pathways' but when it comes to apportioning of responsibility, there is no sharing going on at all. Why not tell peds that if they are going to use the pathway they need to :

1. Be aware that cyclists use it too
    2. Keep left so that they can be overtaken
    3. Keep their kids under control
    4. Not get the sh!ts when they have to move over to let you pass

I don't know about the majority of paths, but ours has a nice white line up the middle, just like they do on the road. If they kept to the left of it, there'd never be a problem.

It's like the bike vs. car conflict. I can guarantee that the majority of the problem is caused by the ignorance of car drivers but it's always up to the bike riders to overcome it.
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

No seriously Darren (first names now), what is it that you suggest governments should do?

How do you make you average power walker aware of these things. Education campaigns? Signage? TV adds, brochures? The problem with these measures is that the only people who take notice of them are those that do the right thing anyway.

If you've got a better idea, I'd love to hear it. (Really, not sarcastically)
    Cheers,

Adam

South Oz, the big smokey bit in the middle

I like my machine gun suggestion even more now

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by LineLefty
    If you've got a better idea, I'd love to hear it. (Really, not sarcastically)
    Adam,

IMO Education campaigns, Signage, TV adds and brochures is the typical way our governments tackles any problem. They are willing to spend millions to advertise what they claim to have done but spend peanuts to actually fix the problems.

The trouble is they don't work and no one believes any of the advertising by the government any more. We immediately assume it is all lies based on past experience.

The only way to fix this particular problem is to separate the pedestrians from the cyclists like they do in other countries. Build separate paths for each and the problem is solved. Must be cheaper than all the government advertising.

Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by LineLefty
    No seriously Darren (first names now), what is it that you suggest governments should do?
    Well, I reckon Darren had a point about cyclists not having a fair go anywhere.

No one has that problem in China, bikes are the kings, and pedestrians stay out of their way! If the bikeways had "pedestrians give way to bikes" signs instead of "cyclists give way to pedestrians" , that'd be a good start!

I've never been abused for my polite bell ringing (until today's iPod episode), but reckon that I should be able to travel at a safe (say 20k) speed without having to get off to go past a walker. I also walk from time to time, and hate cyclists who just sneak up without warning.

The traffic act requires bikes to be fitted with bells, yet they are all sold without them, so why not start there?

I agree with the quotes from the report by the way, except for the requirement to "slow down" which is a meaningless term. My own perception is that "speed" holds more danger for the cyclist than the pedestrian, but the perception of danger is greater for the latter, hence cyclists who don't have a man with a red flag in front of them are all bad!!!

cheers,

P (bells for all bikes)

If the bikeways had "pedestrians give way to bikes" signs instead of "cyclists give way to pedestrians" , that'd be a good start!
    Another good idea is signs along the path saying something like:

"Consider that you cant hear the cyclists coming if you've got earphones and stay on your side of the path"
    How about a sign that's gonna teach them they better wake up? Like...
    "Keep left unless being run over"

<_<
    Ratbag
    I know that you beleive that you understand what it is that you think that I said; But I am not sure that you realise that what you heard is not what I meant