Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Schtoo
    The doc has me on anti-virals thank you. Covered under PBS so the price was $30.70, not full cost of $212.80 as is written on the box.

The problem is not the rash. That's just annoying. The initial pain seemed to wander out through the nerves of the back, then shoulder joint and is now localised in the upper arm. Now it just feels like Friday night after Friday afternoon needle parade (one for the ex-miltary types). I'm just glad I am not a back pain sufferer. I pity any of you out there that are.

John

Oh that, dunno what to say other than take it easy.

For me, it felt like I'd been beaten to a pulp, but no bruises to show for it. Just really pained everywhere, especially the shoulders/neck.

I got a massage, seemed to help a little bit but I dunno what to do other than rest.

Then again, I don't get laid up for anything. I still keep moving, and the pain at that time was annoying, but not enough to stop me moving about as normal. I guess if I was the type to actually sit in bed, that's what I would do.

Your lucky,
    I got the shingles on my eyelid and eye ,plus forehead last year and its still playing me up ater 8 months.
    woody U.K.

"Common looking people are the best in the world: that is the reason the Lord makes so many of them." ~ Abraham Lincoln

I caught shingles earlier this year whilst staying at Mount Gambier in S.A. I had rashes on my chest shoulders and back which was pretty painful. I was told by my GP on getting back to Melbourne that I had been lucky not having it on my face especially around the eyes - which is the most painful part to have it on your body. I was under the impression you can only get shingles if you have had chicken pox earlier in your life. the virus lies dormant within your bone structure but something can trigger it off (still not known like cancer) and it comes back as shingles.

I read the virus resides in the brain somewhere, and comes out to play in times of stress or generally poor condition.

Whatever it is, it's a PITA.

I think I am pre-disposed to it since grandpa used to get it too.

My wife got the shingles a couple of years ago over the eye and it bugged her for a bout six months after. It affects the nerves and can actually send you blind and as Shctoo says it lies dormant and can come back and get you again and again. We have a friend that has had them seven times over the eye and in the scalp which has left scars and each attack is worse than the one before.

If you get to the hospital or the doctor within 72 hours of the first signs of the shingles they have a drug that can just about eliminate all the symtoms but after that nothing works and you have to put up with the pain.

This crap has had me banged up for a week and a half now and I have just been able to get back to the 'pute.

The pain isn't the real problem, though that is bad enough. It's the head. I can always get up and go walking to get the brain thinking about something else. It's when I try to go to bed and can't get comfortable. Just lying there for an hour wishing the pain would subside, then getting up and popping pills and watching absolute rubbish on TV till the rest of the household wakes.

Last night was OK. Spent the night listening to rain on the roof. The first decent rain we have had for months. And I was awake to witness the whole damn thing.

Not knowing when your next 2 hours of broken sleep is going to occur really messes with the brain.

Thanks all for your thoughts.

That it certainly does.
    Mick

avantguardian

Cant offer any solution to the shingles thing, apart from a stress free laife and a good diet.

But I have always considered you guarantee to reduce your likelyhood of serious injury if you stay away from licenced premises and large sporting gatherings where alcohol is served.

having worked in the entertainment industry and driven cabs I can give this time frame.

probability of violence near licenced venue.
    6am to 10am very low.... unless you don't look where you are walking.
    10 am to 1.30 pm..... rising risk in some areas.
    1.30pm to 3pm....risk still rises
    3pm to 6pm.... afterwork fights possible particularly fridays.
    6pm to 10pm.... higher liklyhood of unrest.... often no problems at all
    10pm to midnight.... is starting to warm up & the early punch ups begin
    midnight to 2am..... risk still rises often the lul before the storm.
    2 am is where the real trouble often starts and continues till they all fall over or go home.

the highest risk time I recon is between 2am and 4am if the venue remains
    open.

many have said it before but I have to agree that alcohol is the most abused drug we have in western society.
    It is used to cause more damage that all the other abused drugs combined.

I have no problem with someone having a few quiet drinks, or even getting quietly once in a while.

the big problem is that a large portion of our entertainment industry is housed and controlled by the liquer indusrty.

Apart from large scale concerts and high end theatre almost all live entertainment is in licenced venues that make the vast majority their profit from selling grog.

A large portion of our population are incapable of social interaction without alcahol.

I'll stop now before I realy get wound up.

cheers
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.
    Abrasives can be just as dangerous as a blade.....and 10 times more painfull.

Quote Originally Posted by soundman
    A large portion of our population are incapable of social interaction without alcahol.
    That is a sad truth.
    Mick

avantguardian

Quote Originally Posted by soundman View Post
    cheers
    I'd go one further, a large portion of our population are incapable of social interiaction........period

Quote Originally Posted by Gingermick View Post
    Yes they did, but they hadn't included it in the 'war on drugs' that's been so overwhelmingly successful around the world.
    [ ... ]
    I think you meant to type "underwhelmingly" there .

Let them abuse drugs, in a year or two they will all be dead and the problem solved. Even buy the damn things for them. Here in the states the average police department is better equipped than a WWII infantry platoon or perhaps even company. Still haven't done anything to solve the problem that I can tell.

Yep, pretty disgusted with it all.

Quote Originally Posted by ivanavitch View Post
    Bluegum

I wish it was just Ipswich. Then we could just move. The problem seems to be everywhere though.

I know we have a big problem with "chroming" among the street kids, but they did not seem to be represented. They seem to be intent on dissolving their own brains rather than battering others.

The problem can't be solved by banning alchohol. Should we ban booze because a percentage of the population turn in to ****wits when they drink?

Should we ban spray paint because a percentage of the popuation fry their brains?

Should we ban cold syrups with pseudoephedrine because a percentage of the population turn it into "ice"?

I don't have the answer. I just get ****ed when the majority are penalised because of the actions of a minority.

John
    Hear! Hear!

Now if we could get the politicians to get out of the loop and quit just passing "feel good" legislation that does nothing for the problem other than "mean well" then we might get a handle on this stuff.

Here in WA (Oops Washington USA) state I have to show a drivers license and sign forms to get sudafed for a cold. Haven't noticed it slowing down the crack makers much if any - if so they just moved on to something else (and probably nastier) that was easier to make and sell... treating the symptoms rather than the problem has never worked and never will.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Shed View Post
    I'd go one further, a large portion of our population are incapable of social interiaction........period
    No real penalties for acting however offensively one wants to act?

Being a student of history I find it interesting to note that places and times that people were generally armed (not just the authorities) seemed a lot more peaceable. Wonder why that was )?

Quote Originally Posted by Fox3 View Post
    No real penalties for acting however offensively one wants to act?

Being a student of history I find it interesting to note that places and times that people were generally armed (not just the authorities) seemed a lot more peaceable. Wonder why that was )?
    Not quite sure what you are trying to say here. Virginia Tech wasn't that "peaceable", was it? I don't think arming the general population will improve social interaction, probably more the reverse.