Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thanks for the replies all

Although Im no closer to decieding whether or not to do it.....

Sounds like a royal PITA with lots of things to go potentially wrong, then again, A bit of swearing and hard work and Ive saved $1200 to spend on much needed tools.

Not worried about the work or time, just worried about getting it right (Im a fussy bugger )
    I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car.

Quote Originally Posted by JDub View Post
    just worried about getting it right (Im a fussy bugger )
    My BIL is like that, he put up an industrial sized shed for his truck business, by himself (has a Hiab) and the ridge gap was out 10mm from end to end, and he was disappointed in himself!! I'd be happy with 10mm between sheets!!
    One thing I did that led to alignment woes, was screwing in the wall sheets too tight. The corrugations tend to flatten out, causing creep, and if the flattening is uneven top to bottom... Maybe get hold of a decent 240v screwgun with accurate pre-tension, it will ceratinly save on time charging batteries endlessly.

Cheers
    Andy Mac
    Change is inevitable, growth is optional.

Quote Originally Posted by silentC View Post
    Not on mine, Jim. We had to cut the gable end sheets but all the wall and roof sheets were cut to length.

The doors on my shed came from Steel line. I think that it depends on where you are located as to what doors you get. My doors are good, no complaints there. I bought a Ranbuild deluxe shed. Cost a bit more but worth it I reckon. The portal frames are a lot heavier and the corner brackets are bolted not screwed.
    I stand corrected.
    I only had to cut the sheets for either end, including above the roller doors.
    Mine is a ranbuild deluxe as well and the roller doors are excellent. Actually, apart from a few alignment issues that were my fault it is awesome. Make sure you order one that has at least 2.7m high walls it makes a phenomenal difference. I can't believe how much cooler my shed is compared to ones with 2.4m walls.
    Cheers
    Jim

"I see dumb peope!"

Quote Originally Posted by Caliban View Post
    Make sure you order one that has at least 2.7m high walls it makes a phenomenal difference. I can't believe how much cooler my shed is compared to ones with 2.4m walls.

Its 6.0 x 3.5 x 2.7 (h). It has two large windows, personal access door, roller door, roof insulation..... Pic below
    I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Mac View Post
    One thing I did that led to alignment woes, was screwing in the wall sheets too tight. The corrugations tend to flatten out, causing creep, and if the flattening is uneven top to bottom... Maybe get hold of a decent 240v screwgun with accurate pre-tension, it will ceratinly save on time charging batteries endlessly.

Cheers

The ones I have seen (and the one at the display site) put the screws through the sheets next to the corrugations (not on top).......

The ones I have seen (and the one at the display site) put the screws through the sheets next to the corrugations (not on top).......
    That's all good but the ones on the roof will be on top of the corrugations
    Cheers

DJ

ADMIN

Quote Originally Posted by djstimber View Post
    That's all good but the ones on the roof will be on top of the corrugations
    Yep, true

Believe me, even screwing the sheets on like this you can get sheet creep. All it takes is for someone to put a smal amount of pressure on the ribs to push it out.
    Have a nice day - Cheers

JDub,

I'd be inclined to pay the $1200 and have it up in a day or so. That way you're getting a quality erection (no pun intended here) and as has been mentioned, make sure you're there to supervise & keep an eye on things. This way, you'll be able to 'move in' sooner and begin the really exciting exercise of laying out your shed. Good luck which ever way you go.

Cheers,
    Keith

Who the hell puts roofing screws in the valleys of corrugated tin???

People that live with leaking sheds that is who!!!!! Please if you are a 'perfectionist' as you say don't do it. You WILL regret it in the short and long term....

IMHO of course!!

Pete
    If you are never in over your head how do you know how tall you are?

Quote Originally Posted by Doughboy View Post
    Who the hell puts roofing screws in the valleys of corrugated tin???

People that live with leaking sheds that is who!!!!! Please if you are a 'perfectionist' as you say don't do it. You WILL regret it in the short and long term....

IMHO of course!!

Pete
    Pete,
    it's standard practice to crest fasten roofing sheets and trough fasten wall sheets. Been doung it that way for years (as recomended in the Lysaght manual)

FWIW,
    to avoid/minimise sheet creep:
    fix first sheet with two screws only, one at each end at the outside edge. Lay next sheet in place and fix with one screw at either end, through the overlap with previous sheet. Measure from the edge of the sheet to the end of the roof to check for parallel. "Fan" the sheets if required by applying more pressure at required end of sheet. Once a sheet has been fixed with a screw in each corner you can go back and screw off the overlaps and then the rest of the sheet.

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

I mentioned this in my Shed WIP thread but thought I mention it here for the other Canberrans that have the misfortune of dealing with our local red tape...... sigh

1) When putting up a small shed in your backyard you need to put the plans through council (ACTPLA) after they charge you ($150) and eventually approve the plans (up to six weeks). As part of these plans you need a draftsment to draw you a site plan ($vaires).

2) After the inital plans are through council you then need to employ a private certifier as they no longer do any of the inspections themselves.... private certifiers charge a minimum of $500, and you need to submit more plans to them, and another wait.... they also as part of there approval process need to put a builders name on the approval. Therefore you need to provide a builders license number of whoever is putting up your shed, but if you plan to put up your own shed you need to apply for an owners builders license!!!

3) Owner builders license is another $180 and more forms and a third or fourth trip to ACTPLA...... (I might not put it up myself now out of principal, eg giving ACTPLA more cash)

4) once your shed is up you need to an electrician to sign off on the work and then submit those forms....

This is all for any shed above 10m2

The approvals etc are gonna cost almost as much as the shed......

What a crock of crap. :mad:

Sorry mate, I could've told you all that. It's no deifferent down here, except our council still does inspections, although I don't know for how much longer.

Technically you can't even build a chicken coup or a cubby house for your kids without development approval

Quote Originally Posted by silentC View Post
    Sorry mate, I could've told you all that. It's no deifferent down here, except our council still does inspections, although I don't know for how much longer.

Technically you can't even build a chicken coup or a cubby house for your kids without development approval
    Yer its not the development approval that was a surprise, the bit that shocked me however is you have to be a licensed owner builder to put up a kit shed, I had never heard of that...... oh and the cost of a private certifier I thought was a bit pricey....

It's all about liability you see. If you build the shed then 6 months later sell the house, the new owner can chase after you to fix it if it falls in a heap or kills someone. I think the warranty period for an owner builder is 7 years in NSW now. Be interested to know if they would make you provide home owner's warranty insurance on it if you did sell it. They do on a house or renovation.