Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

apologies - that's what I meant - I have never seen these items clear finished ie: no stain at all - therefore you can use other materials successfully. Hardwood was used extensivley, as well as what we call Red Pine - which is actually sequoia or Californian Redwood.
    Steve
    Kilmore (Melbourne-ish)
    Australia

....catchy phrase here

Never used redwood...is that easy to obtain...and is it cheaper than hardwood...is it a softwood or hardwood...these arcs are going in the bathroom...going to checkout a router bit today.
    leeton

Redwood is soft, but may be a "hardwood" - you wont be able to buy it new anymore - I was thinking more along the lines of getting it second hand from a demolition yard.

Hardwood and Softwood have nothing to do with timber's properties, rather with the type of tree it is - http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects...dsoftwoods.htm

Sorry for the boring bit

Depending on how much material you need, "Red Pine" arks would be a fairly common find - try Whelan's Warehouse in Plummer Street Port Melbourne - they may have some...... at one stage they wouldve had >100 metres of arks of your period, but these days they are moving to more commercial products like sheet material ...... still worth a try though. 1300 887 558

BTW I believe the profile youre looking for is readily available from places like the Pine Centre in Bakers Road Coburg - from memory, you hit it with mission brown stain a few times, then walnut and laquer it to achieve the finish
    Steve
    Kilmore (Melbourne-ish)
    Australia

....catchy phrase here

Thanks once again steve...I will the place out in Coburg...I have had a brief look at Whelans...not much there when I was there last time.
    Leeton

okie dokie

as mentioned - happy ot help out if you need further advice/ideas/brainstorming

just let me know what 'burb youre in (or post a pic if you can - if you have trouble loet me know and I can help) so I can get a better idea of the style of your home
    Steve
    Kilmore (Melbourne-ish)
    Australia

....catchy phrase here

BTW Pine Centre will prolly knock your socks off - they have a great range of bits

Steve
    Kilmore (Melbourne-ish)
    Australia

....catchy phrase here

taa daaaaaaaa

http://www.thepinecentre.com.au/

gotta luv the net
    Steve
    Kilmore (Melbourne-ish)
    Australia

....catchy phrase here

Well. I 've decided to go for the bullnose finish...stained in Walnut...I just don't have the time to stuff around...it will look ok...I will post a photo when finished...might take some time..this bloody bathroom has been under construction for a few years now,. a few more weeks won't hurt...lol.
    ...thanks for the url to the pine centre steve...looks good...trouble is no prices on the web...might check it out this week.
    leeton