Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cairns Python

Now that IS SCAREY!

Ours only appear now and then but we do have "nicer visitors" who make a little noise at night but that's fine.

What type of snake is that Bob?
    - Wood Borer

Sorry about the small pix but I can't seem to get it to the size of the others on show.

I'm not a snake person at all but I'm told by those who think they know that it is a python - mind you we also get eastern browns here and I was once bailed up by this wrist thick hose with the head approx 12 - 18 inches above the ground, shaped in a letter "S" and a cream belly with pink splotches on it and a very unhappy demeanor and when I stepped back [very smartly] it decided to have a bit of a lunge in my direction - I don't think it was inclined to have a bit of a suck on my leg but was intent on doing me some harm - I have since made sure that any venture towards dusk or at night has the obligatory torch as I don't want to meet this bloke or his relatives again - uncle Winchester mod 1200 would be nice but honest John has mine.

Regards,
    Bob

Thanks Bob.

We only get Red Belly Blacks and Copperheads in the wild here . They are venomous but nothing like the tigers, browns and taipans.

I have always been fascinated by snakes even with the tigers and browns on the farm when I was a kid. I treat the venomous ones with the greatest of respect and they leave me well alone. When I was a kid I was bailed up a couple of times by tigers.

I know some people are shyte scared of them though and no calm and logical discussion seems to work. Some of these people have never even seen a snake in the wild so I'm confused about how their brains can be so illogical.

I guess we are all different but I do object to innocent animals being killed because some people have partially deficient brains. Fear them by all means if you are a partial half wit but you don't have to kill them.
    - Wood Borer

We are often vistid by brown snakes here at home. We back onto a creek that runs into the Bremer river. We have been here five years and I have had seen thre browns move through the yard had one removed and then my dog killed one two day after that and then she lost her life that afternoon from it. I would trade all the browns here for a few pythons of smallish size if they kep the mice down. A mate of mine living in the blue mountains had to remove a death adder from his garden after his wife patted it when she was weeding. Good tjing he is a reptile nut and hold little fear with snakes.
    Dave,
    hug the tree before you start the chainsaw.

Quote Originally Posted by Wood Borer View Post
    Snakes cause a lot less damage to humans in Australia than pet dogs, knife wielding druggies and car drivers.

Before you shoot a harmless snake (it's illegal) then start shooting pet dogs, druggies and car drivers if you feel shooting is the way of ridding us humans of danger.

The snakes in those photos were pythons which can cause a nasty wound but are not in the least venomous. Apart from the Scrubbies, most pythons make excellent pets. I have two - one is part of my Avatar.

The fear is all in your minds.

I have two snakes as pets also ,one is a 7' + Darwin Coastal python and the other is a baby Childrens' Python . They make great pets and take very little looking after.They get used to being handled very quickly .
    The Darwin Python has bitten me a couple of times , she does get a bit cranky around the time when she is about to shed .

Wouldnt like this one to latch onto me though.

Kev
    "Outside of a dog a book is man's best friend ,inside a dog it's too dark to read"
    Groucho Marx

Couldn't agree more about them being great pets.

I have a spotted python and she is only about 4feet long (almost fully grown) plus a Murray Darling or Victorian Python, she is about 5 feet long and still growing. She will eventually reach 8 - 10 feet long, they steadily grow all their lives unlike other pythons who grow quickly.

Both are only about 3 years old.
    - Wood Borer