Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sick of Hicks

I accept that it's relatively big news, given how long people have been calling for his release and how long the US held him without trial etc. Yes, it's a headline story, no question. I just object to the mindless reporting of trivial minutiae like what he had for breakfast and how he enjoyed his flight.

Yeah, it will die down soon enough. I don't know why I let it bug me at all. I just expected better from SBS. I suppose SMH is going the way of the tabloids now. I hear they're going to reduce the format.

I hear they're going to reduce the format.
    Both The Age and SMH are going to a smaller than broadsheet and larger than tabloid format. A paper in the UK did this and circulation went up and the editorial content stayed the same. I hope this happens here too.

Chris
    Photo Gallery

yes i am sick of the hoopla surrounding this issue as i am sure Hicks and everyone else is. I think David has been persecuted enough for doing very little in real terms and I wish him all the best in recovering from his ordeal after paying the price for his supposed crime.

he pleaded guilty so the Gov gets to brand him a 'terrorist support' and he will soon get out and get on with his life and if he is kept out of the media (good luck!) then would shouldnt hear too much more of it..
    "I am brother to dragons, companion to owls"

Quote Originally Posted by HappyHammer View Post
    What was our side?

HH.

We went against the elected government of Solbo Milosevic and his Serbian goons, mainly because of their brutality, and encouraged the actions of Nato in bombing the balzes out of them in the end after the U.N. failed to reign in their nationalistic actions. The anti serb movement included a Muslim element of which Hicks became part, unfortunately for Hicks the Muslim contingent he chose in Afghanistan happended to be the Taliban an unelected Government this time round who discovered that as a mouse on the world stage it was not a good idea to poke a stick in the eye of an American Eagle. It would be fair to say that Mr Hicks is not the sharpest knife in the block regardless of how you view his off the beaten track travel itinary.

Does that answer the question?

Quote Originally Posted by johnc View Post
    Reading one of the articles I thought the problem was the U.S. government refused to let him leave the country on a commercial flight.
    John.
    No, the US government refused to allow the plane to fly over, or land and refuel within, their air space.

If the plane did do so the US Supreme Court would have immediately gained jurisdiction and ordered Hicks release until he was charged under normal US laws and tried in a normal US court. Then he would have been found not guilty and the US would have to pay compensation.

Hence the special charter flight costing so much money.

Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by johnc View Post
    Does that answer the question?
    Yeah mate....

HH.
    Always look on the bright side...

Quote Originally Posted by reeves View Post
    yes i am sick of the hoopla surrounding this issue as i am sure Hicks and everyone else is. I think David has been persecuted enough for doing very little in real terms and I wish him all the best in recovering from his ordeal after paying the price for his supposed crime.

he pleaded guilty so the Gov gets to brand him a 'terrorist support' and he will soon get out and get on with his life and if he is kept out of the media (good luck!) then would shouldnt hear too much more of it..
    Which ever way you look at it he's an idiot, maybe the punishment didn't fit the crime and maybe it did who really knows?

We'll see which cause he joins next.....

HH.
    Always look on the bright side...

He's my new prison bitch pen pal.....

At least till bubba staples a centrefold to him

I am sick of him to. Tragedy is, I read this thread so it must be one of those train wreck things - you just can't help looking.

Bill

One of the local radio stations did a satire roll call of terrorists....
    went through a few of the big names & came to
    "Hicks, David Hicks.... do we have a David Hicks?"
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

Dazzler, if hicks is what everyoen paints him to be he probably wont be anyones bitch.... he may be the bitcher not the bitchee....
    Zed

Just illustrates, yet again, there isn't anything significant happening and the media are frantic for something to put on air. Hicks, Jeez! (But you keep him off Qantas.... not having riff raff on the National Carrier, no Sir).
    1st in Woodwork (1961)

Quote Originally Posted by MurrayD99 View Post
    not having riff raff on the National Carrier, no Sir).

Why not, they still carry me
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

My Other Toys

Quote Originally Posted by silentC View Post
    Hands up if you're sick of hearing about David Hicks' every move?
    G'day SilentC,

Me, me, me!

It's as bad and as irritating as seeing the Stuart Diver rescue, the two blokes down the mine, and Diana. Like you said, you get a blow by blow account of everything that they have done, will do etc. They've probably filmed Hicks sitting on the loo but decided to show that on Big Brther Up Late.

When news like this is being shown endlessly I make a point of missing the first 10 minutes of the news ahoping that they've got the "news" of Hicks over and done with and get on with some real news.

But the problem with this is that Ch. 10, 7 and 9 only have a 1/4 hour for the news so by the time they've shown Hicks there's no other news to report, at least SBS have a longer broadcast.

Like Martin Bryant let Hicks rot in jail until December and hopefully they get bored of him soon. But come December 30 I won't be watching the news that night because I only end up shouting at the TV and get in trouble from SWMBO saying, "They can't hear you you know!"

Rant off, to plumbing for my 10HB I must go.
    I make things, I just take a long time.

www.brandhouse.net.au

to plumbing for my 10HB I must go
    Are you going to water cool it? Or add a beer tap or something?