Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MajorPanic View Post
    If I get a wireless router/gateway can I just plug in the print server into the router & the printer will be available to all computers via wireless network?
    Yes, provided the print server itself is seen by (and can be seen by) the wireless network.

If you want the printer as a standalone unit on a wireless network, then you're looking at headaches.

Simple.
    I may be weird, but I'm saving up to become eccentric.

- Andy Mc

Hmm - think I need to experiement I have an HP lazerjet 4, with network card, so just need a new router
    "Clear, Ease Springs"
    www.Stu's Shed.com

Quote Originally Posted by Master Splinter View Post
    Yeah, I guess being 15 minutes from parliament house classifies as country, too. Still no broadband. Beancounting idiots at Telstra = RIMs = cant handle broadband
    You should qualify for Broadband connect and go 2 way satellite. Free equipment, free connection and you can get 256kps for about $34.00 a month the only problem is 500k download/upload limit but at least it beats dialup. If your prepared to pay more per month you can get more download and faster speeds.

One word of warning Major.

If you have a double brick house and brick internal walls, you may find (like us) that the signal drops so much as you get further from the router, that the notebooks at the other end of the house are effectively useless. I've had to replace one with a cable and the Idiot Child is now lobbying for her wirelesss card to also be replaced by a cable.

As other have said, the cable is far faster than the wireless connection. I have the wireless Netcomm router/firewall.
    Bodgy
    "Is it not enough simply to be able to appreciate the beauty of the garden without it being necessary to believe that there are faeries at the bottom of it? " Douglas Adams

I have an Epson Stylus PHOTO R210 and an HP Laserjet 1010 connected to a usb 2.0 hub then to my primary computer which then serves the print functions to my other computers wirelessly. Works beautifully. SWMBO can waste all my colour ink printing gazillions of photos of the grandkids (beats me why) while I trundle away on my notebook printing to the 1010. A perfect world. Almost. Being single and young again would be perfection.
    If you never made a mistake, you never made anything!

Default It works!!!!, it works!!!

Just a final note.

Got the aforementioned router, a little fiddling with the firmware for the 5 year old print server & hey presto all works like a dream!

All web page based configuration... easy as!!
    Cheers

Major Panic

I love Netgear gear
    "Clear, Ease Springs"
    www.Stu's Shed.com

DrayTek Mmmm, Mmmm

I have a question for you chaps (who seem so knowledgable about all this). We're in the process of renovating/building a new house. I was thinking of getting the whole house wired for networking (ports in every room except loos and bathrooms) and also wired for free-to-air TV, cable TV, radio reception, the works basically. I currently run a wireless network for our computers but like you chaps have had problems with range and reception through walls.

Do you think I'm wasting money getting the house cabled (haven't had it done yet)? Have any of you had experience using the networking capability of the power circuits within your house (Netcomm have a system available on the local market - there may be others, and I've heard of broadband being delivered over power lines in other countries)? Do you think there is a better option?

We have at least 3 computers for business, and I'd like to have one (at least) as a home entertainment centre as well. I currently use a Linksys ADSL modem that has wireless local networking functionality. And I've got a network disk drive plugged into the router, with another hard drive and my printer hanging off that (the printer isn't working so well in that mode though - might move it back).
    Bob C.

Never give up.

Hard call. On one hand I'd say save your money, but on the other, its real easy to plug a computer into an actual port, and know you are getting full speed, and without any security issues etc. On the other, wireless everything is fast coming - look at the new Apple TV and Airport Extreme (they work on PCs and Macs)

Don't think cables are going to survive much longer! Streaming TV from your computer to your TV set, wireless internet/network everywhere at 5x the speed of 802.11g (and I'm still using 802.11b )
    "Clear, Ease Springs"
    www.Stu's Shed.com

Ah, I know nothing about woodwork, thank god, a subject I know something about (I'm an IT Consultant).

If you are building the house, and therefore getting power etc cabled anyway, then it shouldn't be much more to cable with lan cable (depends on your contractor I guess. I always prefer a physical connection over a wireless connection anyday, mainly because it 'usually' works first time.

The only potential issue is with the change in technology, you never know when your 'old' cable system is going to be obsolete. If it wasn't equivalent to the national debt to get it done, I'd go for it.

Just make sure that all cabling is obviously cabled back to a central 'cupboard', with easy access, preferably near the MDF for the premises (as in 'main distribution frame' not medium density fibreboard), and ensure it has excellent circulation too (maybe a ventilation duct into the ceiling, for instance).

Also make sure your contractor has appropriate ACA approval, as being an electrician doesn't automatically give a licence to data cable (well, it didn't when I became ACA licenced). If not done by australian cabling standard, which an electrician needs to do, including seperation from 240v cabling, you will find interference, drop outs etc CAN become a nightmare. Electricians have been known to cable tie data cable to electrical cable!

Martin Field
    (The Mobile Computer Doctor).
    mmm....talk about a free plug, hope its allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by abitfishy View Post
    Martin Field
    (The Mobile Computer Doctor).
    mmm....talk about a free plug, hope its allowed!
    Hmm, well, just this once. Actually, this is twice, but you get my drift .

Good info though, thanks.

Groggy

Groggy - The apprentice Axe-Wielding Mongrel

Now, go & find a left-handed axe
    Cheers

Major Panic

Quote Originally Posted by MajorPanic View Post
    Groggy - The apprentice Axe-Wielding Mongrel
    Neil didn't give me an axe. I wanted a Taser or stun gun - but nothin', nada, nix, nil .

Instead I use one of Derek's mini-marking knives to carve out incisive comments

Quote Originally Posted by Groggy View Post
    Neil didn't give me an axe. I wanted a Taser or stun gun - but nothin', nada, nix, nil .....
    Thank goodness.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.