Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Grocery budgets

we spend about 175 a week for two people.
    We don't loss nor gain weight. we Cook every night.
    However, we do tend to buy more expensive meats and veg, but then again we also grow our own veg!

Now i'm curious on where it all goes!

Ohhh .... its just the Stink and the Stinkette here (and a small cat) and we spend around $120.00 per week on average but often jump up around $200 depending if cleaning products are needed by the cleaner. We prepare each meal so there are no expensive prepacked dinners in there.

It is a shame that Helgas bread special value two pack has increase from $5.00 to $5.50 or around $3.60 singular :mad:
    Now proudly sponsored by Binford Tools. Be sure to check out the Binford 6100 - available now at any good tool retailer.

Were doing $200+pw just for 2 of us, we dont do weekly shopping rather buy as we need it... nice and fresh, we eat heathly(swmbo is a chef, and me the gym yuppie).

OK. Converting the £ to $aus @$2.25 ours is $125 per week including cleaning materials for two and we keep having to go back on a diet everynow and then. So perhaps the UK isn't such a bad place after all at the cost of living. We do use a large freezer and purchase bigger meat joints and wait for the NZ lamb to come in etc.
    woody U.K.

"Common looking people are the best in the world: that is the reason the Lord makes so many of them." ~ Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by jow104
    OK. Converting the £ to $aus @$2.25 ours is $125 per week including cleaning materials for two and we keep having to go back on a diet everynow and then. So perhaps the UK isn't such a bad place after all at the cost of living. We do use a large freezer and purchase bigger meat joints and wait for the NZ lamb to come in etc.
    Hang on a minute.

What are yr Rates, Utilities, Petrol, Alcohol, BUPA, Tanning Lotion and football hooligan graffitti repair bills like?
    Bodgy
    "Is it not enough simply to be able to appreciate the beauty of the garden without it being necessary to believe that there are faeries at the bottom of it? " Douglas Adams

$150 for 3 girls and a boy. We try to stick with the Chinese diet, lots of veg, rice and less meat.

I buy lunch everyday and we go out to a good Chinese restaurant once a week.
    Visit my website at www.myFineWoodWork.com

About AUS$90 per week for the two of us.

And that's here, where I can buy steak at $35 per kilo at the supermarket without even trying.

Aussie sirloin steak is about $14 per kilo at the same supermarket.

We don't eat out too often, we both cook pretty well and nothing prepackaged. Just not done here. Also eat lots of things you guys would consider as not food. Most of it is pretty good too.

It's an agricultural area here though, so most of the stuff is fairly cheap and fresh.
    I was talking to Niki today, and when he said $1 for a tomato in Tokyo/Yokohama, I know he wasn't kidding and maybe even being conservative.

Andy, I don't think you have many corners to cut off that budget without getting silly, and I don't think anything is worth getting too silly over, unless you have no other choices.

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

We tend to bulk buy a lot of items, Porterhouse costs $95 for a 7kg piece, chook breasts $6.99 kg if we buy 2kg or more.
    The markets offer sliced bread at 90c a loaf 600g or whatever, its got no name on it but I've seen the big bakeries dropping it off.
    Veges we grow some and buy what we need as required.
    Local supermarket is useful on occassion but generally too expensive, milk $3.30 for 2 lt when we can go to Safeway/Coles and buy 3 lt for $3.40.
    Pizza once a week, but we make it ourselves, probably better ingredients than some of the pizza places and considerably less greasy.
    A choice of 3 beers in the fridge, Old, Lager and Mexican, all homebrewed (properly with dextrose, malt, hops etc) at about $20 for 60 stubbies, and it's good too, and a cider for SWMBO.
    3 of us now and I reckon I get out of it for under $100 a week, and we don't do it too hard.
    I am not a great fan of no name with the exception of tomatoes, can't really see how they can bugger them up, baked beans (kids love them) are terrible.
    Vietnamese bakery sells Foccacia at 3 for $1.00, so we use the sandwich press a bit at weekends with a variety of preserved meats and whatever, cheaper than the the pre packaged and they freeze well too.
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.

Interesting responses, thanks ! I feel a bit easier about it now, and will spread the good news with my wife. I think Bodgy's comment about concentrating on income is the key.
    I tried adding a bit to the household by vege gardening, but the drought and subsequent water restrictions put the mockers on that! Silverbeet survives but bucketting is hard work, and you're not supposed to even fill them from a hose!:mad: We have chooks too, so eggs are always there...egg and spinach pie is a staple!
    I really do have to get back into homebrew, as I didn't include beer in that grocery list...the last brew I did was when the baby bath replaced the fermenter in the laundry:eek:.
    Gotta stop breeding !
    Andy Mac
    Change is inevitable, growth is optional.

well after reading this i am glad i am single and also get meals 5 days a week at work for free i have a panic attack when i spend $20 at woolies lol but then my buget wouldnt stand up to that sort of expense
    am really surprised that its so expensive to feed a family ? do fussy kids make it harder ?

$150 sounds about right, Andy. Same sized family as mine. 2 adults, 3 kids under 8 here.

And it is definetly more costly out in the country. We find it much cheaper travelling to the big smoke (Lismore), despite the fuel costs, to shop.

just the 2 of us and a dog and we keep it around $75-$80 a week and eat well too.
    Subway one week and pizza the other for a treat........dont seem to need extras
    Pete
    What this country needs are more unemployed politicians.
    Edward Langley, Artist (1928-1995)

I don't think it's fussy kids, just that they do have to eat properly.

Heck, I used to get by on less than $600 per month, all inclusive and here in Japan.

I do not recommend that to anyone.

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Schtoo
    I don't think it's fussy kids, just that they do have to eat properly.
    An average child consumes three times his/her own body weight a day, watching mine eat it appears that way, and they are skinny little sods too.
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.

ss_11000 is offline You've got to risk it to get the biscuit

Quote Originally Posted by Iain
    An average child consumes three times his/her own body weight a day, watching mine eat it appears that way, and they are skinny little sods too.
    does that mean me, weighing 55kg eats over over 150kg of food a day:confused:
    (i can assure you i dont eat that much. maybe in a week or a fortnight????)
    S T I R L O