Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I'm with you Jeff, even walking through the new post takes me a lot of time, not so pleasend.

Ad

I don't see a problem with the way it is at the moment. I am happy to look through the topics for the ones that interest me and in doing that I find many topics along the way that take my fancy and have a look at them too. I agree that some of the forum topics could be reviewed as to their popularity, some of them are not being used that often and may need to be discontinued. Someone mentioned earlier that the forum membership was dwindling, is that true?. I have noticed that quite a few of the members who were regular forumites and posted here on a regular basis twelve months ago,no longer do so and I am talking long standing members with thousands of posts to their credit. I thought that the membership had actually increased over the last few months but I may be wrong. I am sure someone will put me straight on that.
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John

Quote Originally Posted by munruben View Post
    ....I have noticed that quite a few of the members who were regular forumites and posted here on a regular basis twelve months ago,no longer do so and I am talking long standing members with thousands of posts to their credit. .....
    Most of them are still around, you just have to know where to look for them.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

Have I missed something here.... The last update to the forums was over 7 months ago.

Yes the forums have diversified greatly, but this has come about by multiple requests. Look here to get an idea why. Less than a handful of new forums have been added in the last 6 mth. Whilst a number were removed and even more were consolidated into other forums.

Yes there are a lot of new threads to negotiate if you haven't been here for a while but open new threads on any half decent size popular forum and you'll have the same problem.

As for member numbers we are growing steadily and have more genuinely active members then ever in the history of the forums. Our most ever users online was 1,814, 12th Apr 2008 at 09:07 AM and we average around 17.5 million hits per month.

Yes a number of regular posters no longer post here but there are a few reasons why, mostly not due to the size or content of the forums. Many because they are no longer prepared to put up with rudeness and personal attacks by other members. A number have gone to other places where they can do the blokey without censorship. Although the discerning ones still frequent here as well and continue to make fantastic contributions.

Some have passed away, some have given up woodwork and moved on to who knows what, maybe art, macrame, knitting, etc and some have just moved on, as people are want to do. Yet others have had their forum rights shut down at work, whilst I personally know of several prolific posters who actually banned themselves because they had become addicted and the forums were ruining their working, and social life...... Seriously, sad but true.

Most are still around some have new names to escape from harassment, embarrassment or similar. Keep looking you'll be surprised who's here, that you may think has left.

Anyway..... HERE COMES THE GOOD BITS.

1. As has been discussed at length in previous threads you can minimise the forums by clicking on the in each forum header this will cut down on the number of screens you have to traverse to find the forum you're looking for.
    2. If you don't like the colours there are other skins to choose from, located in the drop down menu, on the left side, of the bottom Navigation bar, on all pages. The default is wiki-blog default.
    AND HERE'S THE REALLY GOOD BIT
    I can actually turn off all the forums you don't want to see or turn on only the forums you do want to see.
    1. This can only be done on an individual basis and may take some time if there are a lot of requests.
    2. If you wish to have this done you will need to supply a complete list of the forums you wish to see.
    3. The list must be submitted in the order the forums appear on the screen (from top to bottom) otherwise it will not be done
    4. You will only see the posts for the forums you choose, displayed in the New Post section and iSpy.
    5. You will not see or have access to any forums other than the ones you choose so choose wisely.
    6. Other forums can be switched on if requested
    See the sticky at the top of this forum titled: Turn on/off only the forums you want.

Cheers - Neil
    KEEP A LID ON THE GARBAGE... Report spam, scams, and inappropriate posts, PMs and Blogs.
    Use the Report icon at the bottom of all Posts, PM's and Blog entries.

Calm is offline Stubby Owner and proud of it. Now coming back to Earth.:D

Default Thanks Neil

Thanks once again Neil for continuing to try and please most users and always improving the options available. You have THE BEST forum going and still continue to try and improve it.

I wont be using this option and blanking out some sections but i think it may suit some people who dont want to contribute to the whole forum and try and help others with there knowledge.

I personally have no interest in musical instruments but occasionally someone asks a question from that forum that i may have knowledge of. Also the metal work section (graeme collins) is such an encylopedia of welding knowledge i am glad to read his comments any time to further my own knowledge.

Thanks again
    regards

David

"Tell him he's dreamin."
    "How's the serenity" (from "The Castle")

I'm with David, I prefer it the way it is. I wouldn't want to miss anything.
    I don't find it a problem. This is the best woodworking website you will find and I think the guys who want to just look at certain forums are going to miss a lot. Anyway thats up to the individual.
    I really think the management go to great lengths to keep us all as happy as possible and actually listen to the members and for that a big thank you to all concerned. I dont know of any other forum where the management listen to their members and I mean listen to what we have to say. Thanks Neil for that.
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John

I wonder who is doing macrame and knitting
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Hi Guys

I agree with all the above but I find that I don't find the time needed just to peruse the new posts (483 at this moment in time!) on a daily basis.

I like to be able to post on the brewing forum etc etc but then go to a brewing forum.

When I come to the woodworking forum I do want to read thru the woodworking threads am am happy to stay across all the triton stuff etc (I still have some triton gear but am not really interested in the stuff) ... as it is woodworking.

wines, beer, knitting etc ... I go to the applicable forum. So what's the issue. I do miss stuff now because I don't have enough time to filter thru all the non-woodworking new posts to catch the woodworking ones.

My main reason for the fewer contributions over the the last 6 months or so.

Yes we have that best forums in the world here ... thanks Neil and moderators
    Ramps

When one has finished building one's house, one suddenly realizes that in the process one has learned something that one really needed to know in the worst way--before one began.

I think what would also help if it were possible is to be able to sort the new posts by forums. Then you could easily brush over the ones you don't like or want to see.

I have been a regular visitor for a while, and like the range of 'on focus' wordworking sections, plus the spread of off focus topics that cater for other intersts that we may have.

I am prepared to admit that I regularly read/contribute to about 40% of the sections which interest me, and largely ignore the balance. But the beauty of the current setup is that if I am not interested in say Home Brewing, I simply bypass it.

My approach is to open all sections of interest daily, scan the listing for new topics, or updated topics, read those of inteest and contribute if I can add something useful without simply repeating what others have said. About once a fortnight, I also locate my username in the members list and call up my previous posts to check them as follow up in case I miss a request made some time after my post(s).

I find that overall this approach works well for me.

I too would like to thank the operators, admins and mods, sponsors, and the back room folk for the opportunities that the forum gives me.

ss_11000 is offline You've got to risk it to get the biscuit

neil...you truly are a top bloke you know. i think i would like to turn off a few forums.

cheers
    S T I R L O

Default just a little bit....goes a long way....

Well...Neil...that was just what I was lookin'for....
    the little blue button.....Oh & the iSpy...
    You little ripper.....

Oh....sorry about the gender-jump....I actually find checking Whispering section... little slow on posts .... now.....LOVE the concept....but not enough traffic....& everyone here should know by now....I'm not timid...would rather shout-out... rather get abused by everyone... than a select elite group.....LOL

....so I'll just keep posting in the "big boys & their toys area".....hey....it's not so different...I'm starting to understand the "shed syndrome".... But truely sharing the shed with my Ed....was wonderful....NOW....I don't want ANYONE to come into it....I have got really possesive....the memories are all golden...& I don't want that tarnished....only down fall....can't blame the mess on to anyone else....he he he.....NO sorry, ONLY... me me me.....
    OK... will post how my alteration in caravan turned out in general section.

Cheers thanks for you help....
    Much appreciated....
    KEKEMO
    Don't think you're playing it safe by walking in the middle of the road.....that's the surest way to get hit by traffic coming from both ways!
    I'm passionate about woodwork.......making Sawdust again & loving it!

To Neil and all the Good Shepherds of the Forum - it's great like it is.

Keep up the great work.

Gaz.