Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hi Kaisergrendel
    I found CPF to be quite thin maybe you have got some old stock or something. I usually rinse out with turps twice and haven't had any trouble but you could go twice with turps and then with soapy water, bout all I can offer.

Clinton, buc, glad I could help and entice.
    Instagram: mark_aylward
    www.solidwoodfurniture.com.au

A good edge takes a little sweat!!

Quote Originally Posted by Claw Hama View Post
    Hi Kaisergrendel
    I found CPF to be quite thin maybe you have got some old stock or something. I usually rinse out with turps twice and haven't had any trouble but you could go twice with turps and then with soapy water, bout all I can offer.

Clinton, buc, glad I could help and entice.
    I resorted to buying "easy brush cleaner" from bunnings and that seems to dissolve the varnish more easily, towelled the brush off as much as I could, then washing the brushes 3-4 times with heaps of washing powder. I also thinned down the varnish quite a bit with turps, even though the instructions say not to. Guess I'll find out in a few years if it was worth it :P

Thanks for introducing me to CFP, it was a PITA to apply but the result is quite fabulous. Pictures in a few weeks when my whole setup is complete.

I bought a second can the other day, also very viscose and runny like the first can which makes me think as I said before that you got a dodgy can. I brushed the first two coats and sprayed the last two and realy didn't have to thin it much to spray it. It takes quite a bit to sand through the coats so very impressed with its toughness. I don't think you will have any problem if it set ok.

I bought a second can the other day, also very viscose and runny like the first can which makes me think as I said before that you got a dodgy can. I brushed the first two coats and sprayed the last two and realy didn't have to thin it much to spray it. It takes quite a bit to sand through the coats so very impressed with its toughness. I don't think you will have any problem if it set ok.
    I also bought a second can that seemed identical to the first. It's probably due to the fact that I'm applying it in a colder environment than you are - outside with no heating. I thought about spraying it but my homemade booth is a straight up fire hazard and only really suited for waterborne coatings. On the other hand when I sanded it it turned to powder really fast - maybe because it's colder and therefore harder? It does seem a good deal tougher than regular poly though, and it lays down like a coat of glass rather than a thin film - which is not to everyone's liking but it suits me fine

Finished the table, got 4 coats of varnish down - EEE polish ok to finish it off?
    Does it need anything after the EEE?

EEE should be fine, shouldn't need anything after that. Depends on the look you are after realy. I always go for a satin myself.

How long should i leave the varnish coat before polishing.
    Im itching to finish this week as the chairs are ready but dont want to rush.

By the way Claw, can you buy ubeaut up here in newy anywhere or do you have another suggestion?

im also a satin fan and get all my students to go the satin as well.

Hey Bucy, I just pick it up at the wood shows or I imagine mail order would be the next best thing. Deponds on the weather but usualy 24hours is long enough. If it rolls when you sand it, it needs a bit longer maybe two days or untill it sands powdery. hope that makes sense.