Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Okay, so here we are a few months down the track after the "next G" start up. Any ideas yet on how it compares, range-wise, to the older sytems?

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

We get half reasonable cdma coverage here in the sticks.
    Nothing else works here, including telstras new system.

Telstra sucks bigtime and don't believe what they say, theyr'e full of crap & hype.
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

I was under the impression that CDMA was switched off and superceded by NextG?

Whatever, I wouldn't have much faith in dealing with Telstra, and what I have read of their G3 it is VERY expensive.

There is an article in last Thursdays' The Age on it, in the green pages (Bleeding Edge), probably on their website as well.

Here is the Beeding Edge website:

http://bleedingedge.com.au/blog/

Mick, read Telstra's Bankruptcy Network here:

http://bleedingedge.com.au/blog/archives/2007/04/

Fred

At this stage, I reckon CDMA still has the best coverage when you leave the cities.
    Some of the small towns out west don't have anything other than CDMA.

Local Telstra bloke up here in the hills now has a Next G & he says his old CDMA worked better in this area but we have all noticed that the CDMA network seems to have been 'detuned' a bit & CDMA phones now don't work as well as they used to.
    Telstra Country Wide say that is "Not True" but I did get one of them to say off record that when the Next G stuff was installed on the local tower it did upset the CDMA coverage pattern a bit.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rogers View Post
    ............Some of the small towns out west don't have anything other than CDMA..............
    A small community (a few thousand people, shops, fire brigade etc) just five minutes down the road from me and 30 mins drive from the Cairns CBD hasn't even got CDMA. Telstra refuse to install the neccesary tower. A tower was recently erected for television sdervice in this community but it wasn't tall enough for mobile phone usage. Telstra wasn't interested in paying for the tower to be made taller, even though it's right next to their local exchange.

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

Quote Originally Posted by journeyman Mick View Post
    A small community (a few thousand people, shops, fire brigade etc) just five minutes down the road from me and 30 mins drive from the Cairns CBD hasn't even got CDMA. Telstra refuse to install the neccesary tower. A tower was recently erected for television sdervice in this community but it wasn't tall enough for mobile phone usage. Telstra wasn't interested in paying for the tower to be made taller, even though it's right next to their local exchange.

Mick
    Typical of Telstra they're a pack of tossers in my book
    How easy would it have been to do that, some loser down in Sydney
    probably made the - no go decision.
    100% of all non-smokers die

Telstra speak of the information super highway but they give a goat track to regional australia.

Swmbo was told she needed to update her cdma phone with a nextg.
    The cdma used to work here, the nextg doesn't and Testra has done nothing about it.

I'm thinking of starting a petition to the local pollies who possibly are not looking forward to the next election.
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

This is Telstra up to it's old tricks again.

What they are hyping up is not 3G (That's already here) it's NextG which is WCDMA on the 850 band.

As usual, Telstra is operating as a 'Gatekeeper' - they are controlling the adoption and implementation of mobile networks, and this latest ruse is to implement a network which is different from just about anywhere else on the planet in an effort to exclude competition. Unless Optus/3/Vodapone get interested in the bush it will probably work, but it will mean that people in remote areas will be locked into a Telsra mobile.

As far as coverage is concerned, I think that it will be at least as good as CDMA when CDMA is finally switched off. That's not the issue, although there are going to be problems while the network is in transition.

The major handset providers (Nokia and Sony/Ericsson) are struggling to deliver handsets for this NextG network before 2008. That's a fair indication of the lengths Telstra has gone to 'own' the network.

We need them, but that doesn't mean we have to love them

woodbe.

Need them???
    If I get broadband without Telstra they won't even by my phone provider
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Quote Originally Posted by echnidna View Post
    Need them???
    If I get broadband without Telstra they won't even by my phone provider
    Unless you have a wireless or Optus cable connection, I don't think there's a choice. They own the connection in the street, and you can't yet have a connection without a phone service...

woodbe.