Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by mic-d View Post

Niiice. Absolutely love Calvin and Hobbes

My sister gave me the box-set of all of the comics for chrissy one year. Absolutely fantastic!

Oh, Ern - I love your new sig line... very cool.

Cheers,
    Dave

Love the cartoon Michael.

Dave, thanks ... I put it up after two experienced turners on the forum didn't want to look at studies on the honing of turning tools No skin off my nose; we all operate off beliefs.

This is the way I conjugate it:

I know
    You have beliefs
    He/she has prejudices

All part of the rich tapestry
    Cheers, Ern

Quote Originally Posted by Ozkaban View Post
    If you are renting a handset from telstra, best option is to return it and buy a cheapie from dick smith or wherever.
    I can't see a line item for handset rental on the last bill but I better ask Telstra about it. We've kept it in case of blackouts. but I figure it would be cheaper in the long run to buy a cheapy than continue to rent, if indeed we do...
    cheers
    Michael

I can't see a line item for handset rental on the last bill but I better ask Telstra about it. We've kept it in case of blackouts. but I figure it would be cheaper in the long run to buy a cheapy than continue to rent, if indeed we do...
    cheers
    Michael
    *cough* if you don't get charged rent then it doesn't exist *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by rsser View Post
    Love the cartoon Michael.

Dave, thanks ... put it up after two experienced turners on the forum didn't want to look at studies on the honing of turning tools No skin off my nose; we all operate off beliefs.

This is the way I conjugate it:

I know
    You have beliefs
    He/she has prejudices

All part of the rich tapestry
    Something like that. The way I heard it was 'convince someone against their will and they will hold to their beliefs still', or something more eloquent than that

Quote Originally Posted by Ozkaban View Post
    *cough* if you don't get charged rent then it doesn't exist *cough*
    yes of course, how silly of me!
    what handset are you talking about Dave?

cheers
    Michael

I was with TPG since they started until about 6 months ago. When ADSL 2 came around they cancelled my old 20Mb plan, told me I'd be on a new plan and would get swapped across to ADSL 2 when available.

ADSL 2 is never going to be hooked up to my local exchange.

The plan they put me on was $20 dearer per month than ADSL 2.

So I after calmly emailing (to start with) to enquire over the space of a year as to whether the local exchange was ever going to be hooked up I eventually changed everything over to Optus on the $99 Cable plan and now save a lot of dough.

(TPG is Telstra)
    I make things, I just take a long time.

www.brandhouse.net.au

I assume there will be no trouble plugging my wireless router (old D-Link router) into the adsl2+ modem so the wireless network to our macs will continue to work, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Waldo View Post
    (TPG is Telstra)
    Why do they use the Optus network Waldo?

cheers
    Michael

Michael, your T line rental will be about $26 per month.

The handset plugged into the line sounds like Telstra's, so if you go to another provider you'll have to return the handset to T. No loss in most cases as you can get replacements and choose the bells and whistles you want. I have a Panasonic with an inbuilt digital answering machine and about 50 other features I don't know how to use .... but it has a remote handset that sits in the shed when I'm out there so no pressing calls (from Grandma!) need to be missed.
    Cheers, Ern

You can get all in one router (wireless or otherwise)/modems/VOIP servers if you want the full catastrophe but yes, your D-link router should still work.

IME D-link router transformers are prone to failure and it's difficult to get an after-market replacement.
    Cheers, Ern

Michael, your T line rental will be about $26 per month.

The handset plugged into the line sounds like Telstra's, so if you go to another provider you'll have to return the handset to T. No loss in most cases as you can get replacements and choose the bells and whistles you want. I have a Panasonic with an inbuilt digital answering machine and about 50 other features I don't know how to use .... but it has a remote handset that sits in the shed when I'm out there so no pressing calls (from Grandma!) need to be missed.
    That's the line rental though, not handset rental AFAIK. Or are you implying we have to pay that whoever we go with? We have one of those bells and whistle ones too Ern, Uniden I think. The Telstra handset I don't have we just keep in case of power outage, when of course the powered ones will not work.

You can get all in one router (wireless or otherwise)/modems/VOIP servers if you want the full catastrophe but yes, your D-link router should still work.

IME D-link router transformers are prone to failure and it's difficult to get an after-market replacement.
    The router seems more flakey than the transformer, so I doubt we'll go the same brand again. This one may never pack it in though.

cheers
    Michael

Line rental, outside of T., can vary a lot, as you've seen above. Bundling brings discounts.

I've found D-link routers to be OK but have burned out 2 transformers.

Now have a Netgear ADSL2 all in one inc VOIP. So far so good.

Frankly, all this will be blown out of the water when the NBN is rolled out so you may benefit from waiting til then, if you can. VOIP will then be the only sensible call technology. Mind you, the economists warn about what it'll cost us, and sceptical pollies and techies say it will take ages to happen.
    Cheers, Ern

I use a Billion 7404 adsl2, wireless, VOIP modem router. Was supplied free of charge, under some govt scheme because we live in the country, by Internode.
    The modem/router is excellent. As a result of our good run the 2 daughters and son have all bought one at some stage and they're happy too.

Internode is an excellent ISP, the one time I had a problem, I rang got connected in a minute or so to tech in Adelaide ( their HO ) could even understand him!

I use Soul as our home phone provider, cheap local calls, max $2. STD and $2/30mins most o/seas countries.

I should get off my backside and get VOIP/Skype going, I'mm gunna

No point in paying handset rental with all the cheap phones out there.

Have one of those white slim Telstra phone as backup, bought it at a garage sale.

yep; one of the sons has a Billion and likes it.

So wld I if in $$ ;-}
    Cheers, Ern

Why do they use the Optus network Waldo?

cheers
    Michael
    Who, TPG? they're owned by Telstra, so far as I'm aware of.

Don't worry about whoever it is you choose, as whichever router you are provided with your Macs will recognise it. I had the same concern with the bloke from Optus. Didn't even have to change anything on the two base stations - they recognised everything and it was a piece of cake.

Like all things Mac, plug and play. it's only with the other mob you have to install stuff and read manuals for.
    I make things, I just take a long time.

www.brandhouse.net.au