Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Acrylic should be easier than 2 pack. It's more forgiving and is easier to fix mistakes. You would need to clear coat for a nice gloss finish though but that's not a problem. Acrylic is also cheaper. i don't know of any reason it wouldn't be suitable on MDF. I never done it myself.

It shouldn't be a big deal for the mask. Just go to a paint supplier and ask what they suggest. I need a new mask myself but I'll wait till the next job before I go and look for one.

The Sundstrom masks are generally pretty highly regarded; plus they are not all that expensive compared to other brands.
    SUNDSTROM FACE SPRAY MASK KIT /RESPIRATOR SPRAY PAINTER | eBay

If you still want a hard finish your alternatives are automotive acrylic paint (same stuff as you find in car spray paint cans) or an iso-free 2k such as the HiChem/Motospray one - 2/Pack Iso Free Clear & Colour

Personally, I like the acrylic automotive paint - the main advantages that 2k paint has mostly relate more to production environments where turnaround speed is important.

A 2k enamel paint (iso or non-iso) has the advantage that, in the hands (or gun, rather) of a good spraypainter, it won't need compounding to remove orange peel in the paint film. Acrylic, however, will need the extra step of compounding.

On the other hand, acrylic is not so much of a graveyard for insects - it flashes off in minutes so there's less time for insects to get stuck and again, because of its quick drying time, there's less tendency for everything in the vicinity to get all sticky too.

Spraygun wise, it'd be hard to go past this: WORKQUIP Gravity Spray Gun Kit, Stand & 3 Tip Set Ups!! | eBay 3 tips/needles - 1.4, 1.8 and 2.5mm

Thanks for the replies.
    With the acrylic 2 pack I'd have to wet sand cut and polish buff, the whole lot wouldn't I?

Depends on what look you want and how good a spray painter you are.

This'll also apply to 2k stuff if you haven't done much spray painting before, as it's not a magic bullet for a perfect gloss off the gun...but it is a bit harder to sand...

So would I need to wet sand, cut and polish etc if I were to go with the arcrylic? is clear coat a must because it's arcrylic?
    I'd need to find a suitable arcrylic primer for MDF also...
    Thanks guys.

Stuff it, I'm going 2 pack!
    I'm going to but a sundstrom mask, some painting jump suits eye protection and go for it.
    I've been told that the acrylic will be no good under the heat areas so I'd be back at squre one.... bugger that!