Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Buy gmc?

Default Crappy Router

NGX

I have a 1100 watt router which I paid 39 dollars for three years ago. It has the same mechanism for locking the shaft to change the cutter which is 1/4 inch. I note you always have to hold the lock in with your thumb while undoing the nut with the other hand. You need to take care when centering for the cutter or it will not spin true. I cannot fault the router and it has been used quite a bit as the hand held router in my shed, I have two makita routers 1/2 which are just great. One is over twenty year old and still going strong. It is basically the workhorse, A faultless performer.

Sorry to hear about your experience, I believe cheap power tools are a bit of a lucky dip at the best of times.

Regards Mike

Default Wise man Wongo

Quote Originally Posted by Wongo View Post
    You know what I would do?

Take it back, grab the money and run. And never buy cheap stuff again.
    Your a wise man Wongo !!

I got a email from GMC... nothing like the GMC I talked to on the phone.. We will see what happens if they replace it that is really good, as I said I was not after a refund or replacement I just wanted them to know that this is not the best setup for a locking shaft it is posissible to get no locking of the shaft at all, we all know that you need to make sure the collet is secure and tight yes..

Hi there,
    It’s terrible to hear that you have not had satisfactory service from GMC as we try to help everyone out.
    I have been advised to offer you a new Triton router as an apology and hopefully this will fix your problem.
    Can you please forward your contact details so I can arrange this replacement?

GMC Customer Service

Australia 1300 880 001
    (AU Customers only)

Bribing you with a Triton router.......it's your lucky day.

as i used my gmc routers for trade (i think ive had 6or 7 in past 4 years)not home use ive never contacted gmc to get replaced when they have had problems wish i had lied and complained now if thats the new policy triton replacement wow
    Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything, but they
    bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs .

Maybe the thread title needs to change to "Great service from GMC"

Default I know!

Quote Originally Posted by blackhole View Post
    Bribing you with a Triton router.......it's your lucky day.
    I know and I was not even looking at doing this I just wanted it looked at, I was not happy with its safety that's all. And then when the guy on the phone was so negative I was like no way this is not right I'm only trying to help.

I just got a call from GMC head office they tell me there not happy with how I was delt with and are sending me a New triton router.
    Now this is good service if this happens, The company that cares motto is still alive in these modern days.

cheers Noel

Quote Originally Posted by Groggy View Post
    Or:

How to get a cheap Triton Router.

Default Great service GMC ?

Quote Originally Posted by Groggy View Post
    Good Point Groggy !!

GMC have a pretty good history of support, despite what may be said about them. In the cheaper range of tools my experience has been that GMC do the job and provide (generally) pretty good backup service.

I'm glad you continued to post the outcomes from them. I've seen much worse responses from supposedly "better" brands.

Title has been altered a little. Postscript added to original post.

Yeah shaft does show wear, although the button looks fine to me. Can you push it all the way to its maximum travel against that spring? If not, thats probably the problem. Spray some lube around the button area to make it slide better (rub off spray from flat surfaces). You do have to push this button in a fair way to properly engage on the router shaft and make sure the flats on the button assembly match the flats on the shaft (i.e. hand turn the shaft while pushing on the lock button until it engages the shaft correctly).

It's either the flats on the shaft are badly worn, or the button isnt travelling, or being pushed in enough??
    How much wood could the woodchuck chuck if the woodchuck could chuck wood?

Default cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by View Post
    Title has been altered a little. Postscript added to original post.
    cheers !

Yer Dean the shaft where the locker connects or slides down dose show this and I was not over tightening as this would be the norm for this problem. there for looking at the design of this its not the best in my eyes. My comments are not to be taken in any bad way, I just can not see why you would have this when its way better to just use a spanner. I may have just got a lemon GMC head office said this can happen due to production. Just my luck to get this problem

Thanks for your help Groggy your an asset to this site

Glad to see that it worked out okay in the end, I was always satisfied with GMC service and it looks as though you got a bad rep' in the beginning.

Sorry if I came on a bit sharp in my other post; I have been guilty of venting my frustration on a few occasions - sometimes it helps but usually it has been negative.

Denn

G'Day All,
    I had the same problem with my GMC router, The fix is quite easy, undo the 4 screws that hold the plate over the locking mechanism, there is a spring that holds the locking button out and the spring is too long and does not allow the flats on the lock to locate fully.
    Easy fix - shorten the spring.
    Catch ya
    Andrew

Sssh........my Triton router is now over 5 years old (very low serial number as well) and still going strong, so it must be classed as a cheap router on that basis.
    woody U.K.

"Common looking people are the best in the world: that is the reason the Lord makes so many of them." ~ Abraham Lincoln